whoami68
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Kent - econ and management
Coventry- economics or business economics (you can choose)
Essex- business economics

Essex and Kent have a mixture of both business and econ which is what I would prefer. Coventry is more full-on economics, but I am willing to work hard.

I'm interested in the accommodation(sharing bathrooms would be my worst nightmare), social life, how teaching is, whether it is coursework/exam based etc. The area is also important- stuff to do/bars/clubs/restaurants etc. Anything anyone can tell me about any of the universities thanks.
AdamCor
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
For Essex accommodation there's all different types with different prices found here https://www.essex.ac.uk/life/colches.../accommodation. Teaching will depend on your subjects, since you're doing Econ and Business you'll probably meet most of the good lecturers in the first year, although I've only done 3 Econ and 2 Business modules I've found the lecturers to be mostly helpful and they don't mind you asking questions in lectures or even when there's a break in say a 2 hour lecture. Most modules are both coursework and exam, the ratio of coursework to exam mark will depend on the module, for example introduction to economics along with intermediate micro and intermediate macro are 50% coursework and 50% exam, or 100% exam if that mark is higher, whereas my corporate finance module was 30% coursework 70% exam.
StudentRep Annabel
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi there!
I've just finished my third year at Kent Although I didn't study economics and management I still know a little bit about the course. In terms of exams and coursework, the economics and management course is a mixture of the two, it can depend on the modules that you chose.
Also, you can use Kent's Unibuddy scheme to talk to current students at Kent who study economics and management to find out what it's like first hand. Here is the link in case you're interested; https://www.kent.ac.uk/unibuddy/

In terms of accommodation there are several en-suite accommodation options on Kent campus such as Turing College, Keynes College and Tyler Court. They are all relatively large blocks of accommodation so there is a fair chance you can get your first choice I stayed in Turing college during my first year and I really enjoyed it there, it is one of the newest accommodations on campus and is super modern with big windows, nice kitchens, double beds and en-suites. It's also super close to everything on campus so for me, it was ideal
Here is a link to the accommodation page at Kent, you can see the ones I've mentioned above as well as the others on offer and you can do virtual tours of them all so you can see what they're like too.
https://www.kent.ac.uk/accommodation/

In terms of social aspects of life at Kent there is plenty to do! There's loads of societies and sports clubs to join which all meet regularly for socials and other activities. On campus itself there is also a cinema, theatre, music hall, loads of bars and cafes, restaurants, shops, a gym, bike hire and playing fields. Canterbury is also full of bars, shops, restaurants, museums, clubs and cafes, as well as the Cathedral and some beautiful parks. There are 2 other universities in Canterbury so even though the town is quite historic looking it still has a really good student vibe to it. The beach is also just a short bus ride away too

I hope that all of this helps! If you have any other questions about life at Kent then please feel free to ask Good luck with your university applications!
(Original post by whoami68)
Kent - econ and management
Coventry- economics or business economics (you can choose)
Essex- business economics

Essex and Kent have a mixture of both business and econ which is what I would prefer. Coventry is more full-on economics, but I am willing to work hard.

I'm interested in the accommodation(sharing bathrooms would be my worst nightmare), social life, how teaching is, whether it is coursework/exam based etc. The area is also important- stuff to do/bars/clubs/restaurants etc. Anything anyone can tell me about any of the universities thanks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.23%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.35%
Not great so far... (251)
35.75%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.66%

Watched Threads