2018-2019 PGCE student- Ask Me Anything! Watch

SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Slowbro93)
Yep, pretty much. This last year of my PhD (submitting in September) has been some of the toughest points in my life and until I have that secure permanent contract, it will get better but I've been told not by much. So for example, we're seeing each other in a few weeks, but I've had to fit it around writing goals for example. Thankfully, they've been really supportive in understanding the emotional strain I'm going through, which most of my none PhD friends don't get.
That's really good- hopefully you'll be able to keep things good next year. And good luck for your submission!

I would say for me, March-April time was sort of a crunch point, as I was applying for jobs, had uni deadlines looming and was in school on placement, but other people also found around February time really tough, and of course it will depend a bit on how things are structured.

But I think as long as you're both able to be supportive of each other and make allowances, you'll be fine!
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What would be your top tips for new PGCE applicants this year?
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
What would be your top tips for new PGCE applicants this year?
In terms of applying and getting a place?

For your application- school experience is great, but I know this can be hard to get. Any experience of working with young people, especially in a leadership role, will look good too. Try not to sound too idealistic in your PS.

For interviews- Remember, unis are looking for potential, not perfection. You want to show them someone they can imagine in front of a class, so project confidence and assertiveness. Try not to dominate group discussions, have your say but work on bringing others in too, and really listening to the points people are making. Make sure your subject knowledge is as hot as it can be and check out what's on the national curriculum at each stage. When you're talking about current issues in teaching try not to be too negative.

For individual interviews- Be yourself. If you're not a good fit for this uni, it's better to find out now than in October! Also, my tutor said that they see perfectionism as a big red flag- I'm not sure if this is true for all unis, but if you're asked to talk about a weakness, do bare this in mind. They want people who will cope with the course, not be broken by it.

When choosing a uni- Pick a uni where you think the course structure will suit you. Pick a uni where placements will be accessible. Ask how many people they expect to recruit for your subject (bigger isn't better, but too small isn't great either). It probably helps to pick a uni in the area you want to get your first job in too.

I hope this is what you were after and I hope it helps!
lilyc95
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
HiThanks so much for this, it's really helpful to read about your experiences!Did you manage to take an holiday at all during your PGCE year? I was not planning on but now have been invited for an Easter holiday and would love to go, do you think it would be possible or not even worth considering!Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (34)
15.6%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (32)
14.68%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (45)
20.64%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (83)
38.07%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (12)
5.5%
No particular grades needed (12)
5.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise