Get grade boundary answers here! Watch

Evil Homer
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi guys! :wavey:

Students have questions about grade boundaries every year and we know that getting the wrong information can leave you guys in a panic. :nn:

That's why we are teaming up with exam board OCR to answer some of the questions you may have about all things grade boundaries! :dance:

Although they might not be able to answer questions about specific papers grade boundaries for 2019, any general questions about how they work, what affects them or anything else are more than welcome!

OCR will look through this thread and hopefully collaborate a few answers for us in video form for results day 2019!

Ask away below :beard:
beckyyfoster
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
For the new specifications, how are grade boundaries impacted? - obviously, as there's no previous data for these specifications so how do exam boards deal with this differently? There seems to be loads of uncertainty for us with no real idea of where grade boundaries will fall for the new specs, likelihood supposedly being they will be fairly different to the previous higher boundaries on the modular, old specs?
(question focussed on a-levels)
Last edited by beckyyfoster; 4 weeks ago
Nibblet27
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How much can a hard exam change the grade boundaries? I've really struggled with my exams this year but I've heard everyone else has as well, how much difference can I realistically expect from the grade boundaries from 2018-2019?
Gwil
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In practice, are some years really higher achieving than others? That is to say, could the candidates for A-Level English in 2019 been on average better at it than those in 2018, regardless of paper difficulty?
MediocreSince01
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is it true that overall grade boundaries can only change by 5% each year?
liamlarner
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
if you re sit gcse maths in November why are grade boundaries always lower in November we know its the same difficulty to get a 5 in June 2018 and June 2019 but because the November exams are taken by a less able cohort who have not got the grades they need does it mean its easier to get a 7 in a November exam series than it would be in a June exam series
Last edited by liamlarner; 1 month ago
lionike123
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
For A Level Maths MEI, How will grade boundaries be set this year when last year there was only 36 students who were further maths students, also what was done with the mistake in the Pure and Mechanics Paper?
How do you know if students ran out of time in an exam?
Kroznox
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by beckyyfoster)
For the new specifications, how are grade boundaries impacted? - obviously, as there's no previous data for these specifications so how do exam boards deal with this differently? There seems to be loads of uncertainty for us with no real idea of where grade boundaries will fall for the new specs, likelihood supposedly being they will be fairly different to the previous higher boundaries on the modular, old specs?
I watched one of those CIE videos on how they come up with grade boundaries and I think it really depends. In most cases, it would drop because the format is less familiar, candidates may not know how to approach questions and etc. Also depends on how many percent of candidates will be assigned to each grade, so a cut off mark needs to correspond that. For example CIE IGCSE Biology allowed 24% of candidates to achieve an A* in June 2017, but only 15% in June 2018, so I'm not really sure what's up with that lol.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (217)
12.41%
Excited (163)
9.32%
Worried (308)
17.61%
Terrified (386)
22.07%
Meh (180)
10.29%
Confused (37)
2.12%