School favouring STEM over humanities? Watch

mushroom21
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi,
I go to a sixth form/school that massively emphasises maths and science and that’s annoying in itself because all opportunities are directed towards stem students (we are, in fact, a music and languages school, HA) but my biggest concern is the fact that as a modern language student I actually get less lessons per week than other subjects. The reasoning behind this is that there are less of us so less contact time, fair enough. Except it isn’t fair. There is a maths class with the same number of students as us and less than another RE class we have and they get 3 more lessons than we do and we get less than the average A level course nationally anyway, which makes me think their stem preference extends to more than just annoying us non-stem students. Is this fair? I don’t think it is, anyone else have the same problem?
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
How many teachers are there for modern languages and RE compared to maths?
mushroom21
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
How many teachers are there for modern languages and RE compared to maths?
3 RE, 7 Languages, 8 Maths I think?
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by mushroom21)
3 RE, 7 Languages, 8 Maths I think?
And is this school 6th form only or do they teach GCSE too?
JohanGRK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
good for them tbqh
ltsmith
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
society needs engineers, doctors, scientists, pharmacists, pilots, trades people and surgeons.

it doesn't need more historians, writers, clergy people, and so on.
Kill3rCat
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
STEM should be favoured. It's more academically rigorous and has more utility as a predictive metric.
mushroom21
Rep:
?
And is this school 6th form only or do they teach GCSE too?
It’s 11-18 so yeah they do
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by mushroom21)
It’s 11-18 so yeah they do
Well basically then, the modern language teachers are going to be busier. If you've got fewer lessons, it's probably because they literally cannot allocate any more due to timetabling restrictions.
mushroom21
Rep:
?
(Original post by ltsmith)
society needs engineers, doctors, scientists, pharmacists, pilots, trades people and surgeons.

it doesn't need more historians, writers, clergy people, and so on.
Great, do you not think I’ve been told that enough? That isn’t my concern right now, I don’t think I should be being taught for less time because I do “less important” subjects which is a very subjective view
mushroom21
Rep:
?
I suppose that could be it but other schools manage to do it and my teachers in particular do have plenty of free time despite some of them teaching two subjects, I think it’s my school coming up with excuses
Well basically then, the modern language teachers are going to be busier. If you've got fewer lessons, it's probably because they literally cannot allocate any more due to timetabling restrictions.
MIMI_742
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Although I agree that stem subjects are becoming increasingly more relevant to the 21st century due to our future seemingly relying on technology more and more, I think we have the responsibility of balancing it out. We still need lawyers, historians, geographers, and writers because they are very influential. We are still learning a lot about our world and it's origins as well as understanding how to maintain a moral/ sustainable future. There seems to be such a divide between stem students and humanity students but a lot of the time I think they go hand in hand. I understand if that is what they encourage when they have students capable of it however if it is clear that humanities are better suited, there shouldn't be any shame in doing it because although there may be a higher demand for stem students there are just as important roles that need to be filled by the humanities and we can't let these roles disappear.
Tolgarda
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by MIMI_742)
Although I agree that stem subjects are becoming increasingly more relevant to the 21st century due to our future seemingly relying on technology more and more, I think we have the responsibility of balancing it out. We still need lawyers, historians, geographers, and writers because they are very influential. We are still learning a lot about our world and it's origins as well as understanding how to maintain a moral/ sustainable future. There seems to be such a divide between stem students and humanity students but a lot of the time I think they go hand in hand. I understand if that is what they encourage when they have students capable of it however if it is clear that humanities are better suited, there shouldn't be any shame in doing it because although there may be a higher demand for stem students there are just as important roles that need to be filled by the humanities and we can't let these roles disappear.
Not really. You can live without humanities, but not without science. As a humanities student, I took a STEM A Level because I know how pitifully useless humanities are compared to the in-demand, actually rigorous STEM subjects, or maybe the humanities somehow have better career prospects now? Do they? I do not mind it when a superior STEM student calls them pathetic really. Oh well...

Spoiler:
Show
Just kiddin'.
Last edited by Tolgarda; 1 week ago
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Kill3rCat)
STEM should be favoured. It's more academically rigorous and has more utility as a predictive metric.
How are you defining academic rigour?
mushroom21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by MIMI_742)
completely agree with you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (38)
14.39%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (38)
14.39%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (54)
20.45%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (102)
38.64%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (14)
5.3%
No particular grades needed (18)
6.82%