What do you think happens after death? Watch

harrysbar
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Study6076)
there has to be some sort of afterlife or this life would just be useless and unfair because for example if a child dies in a car crash, don't they have the same right as us to live and cherish life so what would happen to them?
Life is unfair but it doesn't logically follow that there has to be some sort of afterlife
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Name:  extraaa.png
Views: 55
Size:  7.7 KB
username2775496
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
When we die, we delete our save file and someone else can use it for their own life like in Pokemon
Indiana.Jones
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by NotNotBatman)
I think if you were raised again, it still wouldn't be you. If you have matter, it can exist in different forms, but it doesn't have to make up a conscious entity and if it did our memories won't be restored and our mental existence wouldn't be the same.
Some time ago I read an interesting article on a study that found that there was some type of ‘consciousness’ remaining/lingering after death (though not in human, yet). Whether it is exactly me or not is another debate.
You mentioned memories - just as a small example I would like to mention that if as humans we can retrieve data from ‘dead’ computers etc, how hard would it be for the Creator of the entire universe, of us, to do so? He did it before and will do it again.
I often think how it would be, if someone thousand of years ago, was told that one day we would be able to communicate with each other even if we were thousands of miles away. What would they have thought?
What I would like to be enlightened about, as I don’t know: what exactly is consciousness? can we explain it in terms of physics, or in terms of energy, electrons ect. I am not talking about neurons firing, but more than that. As far as I know, we have not even fully understood how the brain works. We do not even fully understand the universe.
Also, is it not possible to know/believe in something before science proves it?
CrownCopyright
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Someone.puts you in a box and buried you. Then after that I don’t know.
Leviathan1611
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
your soul goes straight to heaven or hell and you'll be there forever. and it all depends on whether you trusted in Jesus Christ to save you during your time on earth.
Leviathan1611
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CrownCopyright)
Someone.puts you in a box and buried you.
or you get burned to ashes and possibly have your remains scattered across the ocean or kept in a jar to decorate your family's home.
delhibelly
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by username4228878)
What do you think? Do you believe in the afterlife or do you think that there is nothing after death and we just stop existing?
If one believes in ghosts then one has to believe in god and I do coz something happened in my family so yes I’m not sure about afterlife but either we r reborn or we become eternal with nature and our presence is everywhere cools
CrownCopyright
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think I read somewhere Kieth Richards dads ashes were snorted at a party
Strelzo
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nothing.
NotNotBatman
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Indiana.Jones)
Some time ago I read an interesting article on a study that found that there was some type of ‘consciousness’ remaining/lingering after death (though not in human, yet). Whether it is exactly me or not is another debate.
You mentioned memories - just as a small example I would like to mention that if as humans we can retrieve data from ‘dead’ computers etc, how hard would it be for the Creator of the entire universe, of us, to do so? He did it before and will do it again.
I often think how it would be, if someone thousand of years ago, was told that one day we would be able to communicate with each other even if we were thousands of miles away. What would they have thought?
What I would like to be enlightened about, as I don’t know: what exactly is consciousness? can we explain it in terms of physics, or in terms of energy, electrons ect. I am not talking about neurons firing, but more than that. As far as I know, we have not even fully understood how the brain works. We do not even fully understand the universe.
Also, is it not possible to know/believe in something before science proves it?
Can you link the study, because if I'm honest that sounds bogus. The problem of consciousness is hard. I'd find it more believable if it said that there is evidence that consciousness remains for a small period of time after death.

I don't believe in a creator, so I can't comment on that.

You are correct, we don't fully understand consciousness.

There is no such thing as scientific proof really; there's scientific evidence though. It is possible to believe something before science shows evidence for it; doesn't make that belief right or wrong, but it may make it unsubstantiated. You can also know something without having knowledge of that scientific evidence. And I'm not talking about philosophy.
username2569523
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't know, we'll all find out some day though...or maybe not actually
Indiana.Jones
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The reason why I brought up that particular point/study (which you can google, Parnia....) is because someone quoted me saying, from what I understood, that there is ABSOLUTELY no chance of any consciousness remaining after death. Obviously, the studies do not yet provide absolute evidence that consciousness fully remains indefinitely, but that was not really my point of bringing it up there. I mentioned it to say that our scientific horizons are still widening and unless we do not have complete knowledge of everything we should not label something as false merely because there is no evidence for it yet. Point is, that if I am fixated on the belief that there is an afterlife - and if according to the previous poster, who quoted me saying that I am ‘brainwashed’ by my religion, then so is anyone who completely rejects the idea of an afterlife. You too believe - you firmly believe that there is nothing. Difference is what we believe in.Good that you brought up scientific proof vs evidence. I think no matter how much evidence there is, difference in understanding and difference of opinion will remain (from what I feel).
Study6076
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
so what about all the injustice that is happening in in the world ?
(Original post by StBernards)
If a child dies in a car crash then they are dead... they are as dead as someone who dies in their bed aged 95. They may have been unlucky and unfortunate but that is the chance we all take when we are born.. we don’t deserve to live after death just because of an accident. We die and then that is all
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Indiana.Jones)
You are free to think whatever you want to think. No pressure.
That's just it - I think, but you "know", without evidence.
Plantagenet Crown
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Study6076)
so what about all the injustice that is happening in in the world ?
No, there doesn’t need to be an afterlife, that’s just wishful thinking which doesn’t make things come true. You need to accept life is unfair.
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
:worm: food

we are no more special than any other animal that decomposes in the ground and puts back their biomass into the earth
JustOneMoreThing
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You just stop existing, there's no debate around it when you die your mind shuts off to which you no longer exist.

Nothingness, that's what happens.
Zoqua
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by username4228878)
What do you think? Do you believe in the afterlife or do you think that there is nothing after death and we just stop existing?
Nothing, oblivion. You will not even know your about to die. Everything will just disappear like it was never there and then you will be gone. People find it hard to imagine because nobody really can process what absolutely 100% nothing is actually like.
Anonymous919
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well if you think about it logically, obviously we were created by something. Humans are an extremely complex and intricate being and there is no way we were created by chance. There must be an after life otherwise there’d be no point in life. Those who think there will be nothing after but oblivion are deluded
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (148)
24.71%
Pop (145)
24.21%
Jazz (26)
4.34%
Classical (35)
5.84%
Hip-Hop (104)
17.36%