How much of your SF do you give to your parents?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
how much of your student finance do you give to your parents?
Anonymous #1
bump
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
None.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I presume you're asking people who live at home during uni.

I gave zero cos I didn't live at home.

Hope that helps.
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
None. It's my money for me to spend on my living costs.
Anonymous #1
Ok, anyone who lives at home?
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ok, anyone who lives at home?
Even if you live at home, you shouldn't have to give any money to them. It's your finance not theirs.
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
who's parents asks for student loan money from their children lmao. unless your parents are chronic gamblers and are in debt
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
Even if you live at home, you shouldn't have to give any money to them. It's your finance not theirs.
Not everyone's parents are as wealthy as yours.

If you are getting a roof over your head, utilities and food, then you should make a contribution because you're costing them money.
Anonymous #1
You are an adult living in their home. Least you can do, is give them some of your money. Especially since my mum is poor.
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Notoriety)

If you are getting a roof over your head, utilities and food, then you should make a contribution because you're costing them money.
I believe you should out of your own wages, not from your student finance. That goes towards costs of your course etc.

Btw my parents aren't wealthy!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
who's parents asks for student loan money from their children lmao. unless your parents are chronic gamblers and are in debt
Those who are struggling with their debts. Am I just going to watch my poor mother while i'm swimming in cash.
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You are an adult living in their home. Least you can do, is give them some of your money. Especially since my mum is poor.
I believe you should do that out of your own wages, but student finance is not there to help out your parents. It's there to help you pay for costs of university e.g. travel, resources etc.

Up to you if you give it to your mum or not.
Anonymous #1

Thought i'd never see this. THANK YOU.
RichPiana
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My parents aren’t wealthy at all but they’d rather die than ask me for money to live with them, especially when it’s from a loan like SF.
Anonymous #1
I believe you should do that out of your own wages, but student finance is not there to help out your parents. It's there to help you pay for costs of university e.g. travel, resources etc.

Up to you if you give it to your mum or not.
You're right, it is up to me. I don't need that much anyway. My mum is struggling financially and i'll do anything to help.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I believe you should out of your own wages, not from your student finance. That goes towards costs of your course etc.

Btw my parents aren't wealthy!
This got a literal shake of the head.

SF tuition is for costs of your course; maintenance is for your living expenses. I think housing, food and utilities usually come under living expenses. Job thing is irrelevant; and not everyone has a part-time job.

Anyway, lots of people when they're adults and living at home make a contribution to the running of the household. It is called being an adult.
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This got a literal shake of the head.

SF tuition is for costs of your course; maintenance is for your living expenses. I think housing, food and utilities usually come under living expenses. Job thing is irrelevant; and not everyone has a part-time job.

Anyway, lots of people when they're adults and living at home make a contribution to the running of the household. It is called being an adult.
I'm aware of the tuition fee loan! :rolleyes: By course costs I meant textbooks, stationery, any equipment needed for the course.

Maybe it is different in other people's households. In mine my parents wouldn't take money from my finance. Others are different!
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Those who are struggling with their debts. Am I just going to watch my poor mother while i'm swimming in cash.
obviously she has done a poor job of managing her finances and you should only be giving her money as a one-off/a stop gap, with a view to fixing her financial management issues
El Salvador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My parents gave me money whether I was living at home or living out, whether I had a part-time job or not. I've never taken a loan for anything.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (606)
33.87%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (749)
41.87%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (354)
19.79%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (80)
4.47%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise