The Student Room Group

Cooking at Uni - recipes and cookbook recommendations

Hi
My mum wants to make sure I can cook properly before I go to uni but not sure what and where to start with/ practice first, so would like a couple of recipes or a cookbook that I could practice and use when I'm at uni. cheers
Original post by yaco3
Hi
My mum wants to make sure I can cook properly before I go to uni but not sure what and where to start with/ practice first, so would like a couple of recipes or a cookbook that I could practice and use when I'm at uni. cheers

I highly recommend the Nosh student cookbook! Amazing recipes. Written by a mum of 2 sons in uni, using only ingredients and equipment her boys had at uni. Tells you how much each portion costs as well. I love it :smile:
Where are you from?
Are there any particular dishes that you would like to learn how to cook
Reply 3
from southern England and wouldn't mind learning some Asian dishes and curries, love a Chinese and Indian takeaway so if I could cook a couple of those bits that'd be good
Original post by bronzebih
Where are you from?
Are there any particular dishes that you would like to learn how to cook
Reply 4
Original post by DrawTheLine
I highly recommend the Nosh student cookbook! Amazing recipes. Written by a mum of 2 sons in uni, using only ingredients and equipment her boys had at uni. Tells you how much each portion costs as well. I love it :smile:

Just bought this one as it looked good, thanks
Hey,

There are so many free cookbooks-esque things online, BBC Good Food do a ton. It stops you from having to shell out and lets you explore different things, and, if there's nothing you'd want, you can just click off. It's definitely worth a try.

Joshua :smile:
Original post by DrawTheLine

:ditto: I came here to recommend this!
Reply 7
As well as cookbooks, try looking on youtube if there's specific recipes you want or for video demos.

I sometimes save those short videos from fb and instagram cooking accounts so i get some ideas for quick meals at uni 😅😅
In the uni I went to, each flat came with a new student cookbook which was quite handy to have a flip through and make some food.

Quick Reply

Latest