Bolton could cease to exist Watch

Rock Fan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
A founding member of the Football League could no longer exist, sad times and I fear there will be more casualties https://talksport.com/football/efl/5...cial-mess-pfa/
UWS
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I remember when they were in the PL. Maybe they'll be rescued, who knows.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This is a disgrace, to be honest.
sr90
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It is horrifying to think that they were a stable Premier League club just 8 years ago. How the **** have they ended up in this mess?

2 weeks until their season starts and they don't have enough players to make a team, they haven't played any pre season friendlies, aren't selling season tickets. I just don't see how they will be in any position to start the season and god only knows what happens then.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
the Beautiful Game has been ruined by money

smh
Rock Fan
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hope is sadly fading, I agree I can't see how they will start the season
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Sorry, I clicked on this thread, thinking Bolton (the town) was maybe under a kind of alien attack or something. Or that some Bond villain was wanting to obliterate Bolton, as the first step in their world domination plan.

Then I realised it was about football. What an anti-climax.

:dontknow:
(Original post by Rock Fan)
A founding member of the Football League could no longer exist, sad times and I fear there will be more casualties https://talksport.com/football/efl/5...cial-mess-pfa/
IanDangerously
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by sr90)
It is horrifying to think that they were a stable Premier League club just 8 years ago. How the **** have they ended up in this mess?

2 weeks until their season starts and they don't have enough players to make a team, they haven't played any pre season friendlies, aren't selling season tickets. I just don't see how they will be in any position to start the season and god only knows what happens then.
This is what happens when the gap in revenue between the first and second tier of a league system is too vast. Clubs that get relegated from the PL and don’t get themselves back up within 3 years are always at risk of a financial meltdown unless they drastically change their philosophy to give up on their old ambitions and accept lower division football permanently.

Didnt help that they got “saved” first time they were in trouble by a delusional con artist, tbf.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by IanDangerously)
Didnt help that they got “saved” first time they were in trouble by a delusional con artist, tbf.
That's like 99% of football money people tho
ozzyoscy
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I remember playing as them in FIFA 97 (the PC version) for a challenge as they were the worst team in the PL, despite the epic Mixu Paatelainen. I always thought "if they're so crap, why don't they sign Ronaldo?". So I did the obvious and transferred Ronaldo to them to help out.

If they had signed Ronaldo in 1996 they might've avoided all of this, so they only have themselves to blame.
Last edited by ozzyoscy; 3 weeks ago
sr90
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by IanDangerously)
This is what happens when the gap in revenue between the first and second tier of a league system is too vast. Clubs that get relegated from the PL and don’t get themselves back up within 3 years are always at risk of a financial meltdown unless they drastically change their philosophy to give up on their old ambitions and accept lower division football permanently.

Far too many examples of this unfortunately and yet very little seems to be done about it.

I'm sure the old owner wrote off every penny of debt as well, it just seems to have piled up again.
IanDangerously
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by sr90)
Far too many examples of this unfortunately and yet very little seems to be done about it.

I'm sure the old owner wrote off every penny of debt as well, it just seems to have piled up again.
The old owner wrote off the debt owed from the club to his family estate shortly before he died but by that time they’d already run up debts to loads of other creditors and had 3 or 4 lawsuits against them anyway. They even managed to get sued by another club for forgetting to pay their players wage when he was on loan there!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (209)
12.75%
Excited (146)
8.91%
Worried (296)
18.06%
Terrified (370)
22.57%
Meh (151)
9.21%
Confused (36)
2.2%