The Student Room Group

GCSE Results Day 2019 - Grade Boundaries

Behold! The fate of your future lies in the positioning of these grade thresholds! Grade boundaries, come forth!

A grade boundary is the minimum mark at which a grade can be achieved. For example, if the grade boundary for a 6 is 60 marks, then 60 is the minimum mark at which a 6 can be achieved.

The grade boundaries are now released.

Your teachers, exam officers and head of centre (basically, your school's headmaster/headmistress) can see the grade boundaries (and other information) a day earlier (21 August, i.e. restricted release day) from 12.01 a.m., but only they can see them prior to the actual results day.

Links to the grade boundaries:
Assessment and Qualifications Alliance (AQA):
AQA GCSE grade boundaries

Pearson Edexcel:
Edexcel GCSE grade boundaries

Oxford, Cambridge and RSA examinations (OCR):
OCR GCSE grade boundaries

WJEC Eduqas:
WJEC GCSE grade boundaries

Council for the Curriculum, Examinations and Assessment (CCEA):
CCEA GCSE grade boundaries

Cambridge International Examinations (CIE):
https://www.cambridgeinternational.org/programmes-and-qualifications/cambridge-upper-secondary/cambridge-igcse/grade-threshold-tables/

AQA dispels a few common misconceptions regarding grade boundaries: https://www.aqa.org.uk/inside-exams-podcasts/episode-6/myth-busting-grade-boundaries

How to respond when you're close to the next boundary:

This thread should help: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6063250

How are grade boundaries determined?

Spoiler

(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

The grade boundaries for WJEC specifications (both Eduqas and CBAC) will be available to the public from 8 a.m. on results day. This will apply to both linear qualifications (i.e. all Eduqas GCSEs and some CBAC subjects) and unitised specs which still use UMS.

Eduqas and CBAC linear GBs will appear here: https://www.wjec.co.uk/exam-officers/related-documents.html?category=examOfficers
CBAC modular UMS GBs will appear here: https://www.wjecservices.co.uk/marktoums/ This app will also include the certificates in Latin and Additional Mathematics, as well the Level 2 Welsh Baccalaureate.
Reply 2
Has anyone else seen AQA english literature grade 9 boundary??
That's tough......
As if Edexcel have put the maths grade boundaries up again to 62% foundation.

Spoiler

Let’s goooo
The grade boundaries haven’t changed dramatically from what I’ve seen for AQA English
Reply 6
Just feels high to me...yikes...
Original post by george2019
As if Edexcel have put the maths grade boundaries up again to 62% foundation.

Spoiler

Hey!

Honestly, you can't take anything away from the grade boundaries and this definitely dosesn't mean you have failed! Stay calm and I'm sure you will have done amazing :smile:

You've got this!
Can't find WJEC Food Prep & Nutrition or Spanish (higher) grade boundaries on the link. Anyone know what they are/where they will be? Interested to see how close I was to getting 8s in both.
Original post by the_devon_muser
Can't find WJEC Food Prep & Nutrition or Spanish (higher) grade boundaries on the link. Anyone know what they are/where they will be? Interested to see how close I was to getting 8s in both.

I think Food Prep and Nutrition was taken under Eduqas (a branch of WJEC but has numbers not letters this year)? In which case the 8 boundary was 159 :smile:

And for Spanish higher it was 158 for an 8 :smile:
How are you supposed to work out how close you are to the next boundary if most of the subjects don't show the mark you achieved?Also, has anyone else received their actual grade for OCR Creative Imedia? It just says a "Q" on my results.
(edited 4 years ago)
Apparently they only show your marks if you were close to a grade boundry
Original post by Taycamgame
How are you supposed to work out how close you are to the next boundary if most of the subjects don't show the mark you achieved?Also, has anyone else received their actual grade for OCR Creative Imedia? It just says a "Q" on my results.

You need to contact your exams officers for any missing marks :smile:

Q means pending, which means they haven't got the marks for all the units they were expecting you to have, I would contact your exams officer about that one too.
Original post by Tsango_e
Apparently they only show your marks if you were close to a grade boundry

Nope, they only show your marks on Edexcel and certain OCR qualifications :tongue:
Original post by Lemur14
Nope, they only show your marks on Edexcel and certain OCR qualifications :tongue:

Also on all WJEC (CBAC and Eduqas) qualifications.
Reply 15
Where are the AQA GCSE Further Maths grade boundaries? I believe they were put in with the iGCSE ones in previous years, but I can't find those at all for this year!
Original post by Lmb49
Where are the AQA GCSE Further Maths grade boundaries? I believe they were put in with the iGCSE ones in previous years, but I can't find those at all for this year!

It’s not a GCSE, it should be under a list of “AQA Certificates” I believe
Reply 17
Hi everyone, I just wanted to get some advice. So basically in English Lit I was absolutely certain that I would get a 9 because I came out of both the exams feeling so happy with them, I thought that they went amazing. All year I've been working about 2 - 5 marks off of a 9. Today I got an 8 and don't get me wrong that's amazing but I can't help but feel that my paper might have been marked wrong due to the subjective marking this year. Do you think that I should get it remarked. I'm 11 marks from the 9 and I'm with AQA.
Original post by ACataaa
Hi everyone, I just wanted to get some advice. So basically in English Lit I was absolutely certain that I would get a 9 because I came out of both the exams feeling so happy with them, I thought that they went amazing. All year I've been working about 2 - 5 marks off of a 9. Today I got an 8 and don't get me wrong that's amazing but I can't help but feel that my paper might have been marked wrong due to the subjective marking this year. Do you think that I should get it remarked. I'm 11 marks from the 9 and I'm with AQA.

Go for it! There’s no harm in it, also there’s been reports of students getting 5s and getting a remark, and ending up with 7s!
Reply 19
Original post by jduxie4414
It’s not a GCSE, it should be under a list of “AQA Certificates” I believe

Thanks! pujtting that in search helped. Found it under iGCSE file again if anyone needs it

Quick Reply

Latest