Do you thinking the voting age should be lowered to 16? Watch

MathsMania
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Sometimes, hearing a lot of stuff about Brexit, knife crime and more stuff makes me feel annoyed that I don't have a say for a long time? Do you feel like that too?
Srehman32
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by MathsMania)
Sometimes, hearing a lot of stuff about Brexit, knife crime and more stuff makes me feel annoyed that I don't have a say for a long time? Do you feel like that too?
I am a 16 year old myself and I don't think that 16 year olds should have the right to vote, most of us are terribly misinformed, our neural development hasn't been completed, impulse centres of our brains are still immature and to put it bluntly people who vote primarily on basis of emotions and impulses combined with a lack of extensive knowledge are easily manipulated by politicians and propagandists. So, it's better to wait for more neural development and learning before voting.
Xarao
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Srehman32)
I am a 16 year old myself and I don't think that 16 year olds should have the right to vote, most of us are terribly misinformed, our neural development hasn't been completed, impulse centres of our brains are still immature and to put it bluntly people who vote primarily on basis of emotions and impulses combined with a lack of extensive knowledge are easily manipulated by politicians and propagandists. So, it's better to wait for more neural development and learning before voting.
People like you make me proud.
brimstone131
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Absolutely not, reasons in post above sum it up perfectly.
Tootles
Badges: 21
Report 4 weeks ago
This comes up with boring regularity.

Hellz no. 16-year-olds can barely be trusted to choose what to have for dinner. They're children. Why should they get the vote?
Burridge
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I support votes at 16. Some 16 year olds are fickle, naive, immature, and probably not capable of making a fully-informed decision when it comes to voting in an election, but can you honestly tell me that the same isn't true for people over the age of 18?

1 in 6 people in the UK believe that the moon landings in 1969 were fake. Can we all stop pretending that all adults in this country have the finest critical analysis skills?

Votes at 16 should be supported by an education curriculum which teaches the basic principles of politics, philosophy, citizenship, international relations etc. This will give 16 & 17 year olds an understanding of the issues from an early age; only serving to help them make an informed decision when it comes to voting in an election.
angel.xo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
nope.
Srehman32
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Burridge)
I support votes at 16. Some 16 year olds are fickle, naive, immature, and probably not capable of making a fully-informed decision when it comes to voting in an election, but can you honestly tell me that the same isn't true for people over the age of 18?

1 in 6 people in the UK believe that the moon landings in 1969 were fake. Can we all stop pretending that all adults in this country have the finest critical analysis skills?

Votes at 16 should be supported by an education curriculum which teaches the basic principles of politics, philosophy, citizenship, international relations etc. This will give 16 & 17 year olds an understanding of the issues from an early age; only serving to help them make an informed decision when it comes to voting in an election.
I completely agree with you on the idea that the education curriculum should support political awareness. But, I still believe a 16 year old's brain is not developed enough to make such an important decision. The part of the brain involved in simulating future consequences of actions and reasoning (the orbito frontal cortex) is the same in teenagers and children, so teenagers aren't really at a position ( neurologically speaking) to really understand the consequence of their vote the same way an adult can. As I said before, the impulse control centre of 16 year olds is still undergoing development, we should wait for them to be able to make more rational decisions before they can vote. Even insurance companies charge teenagers more because they saw the consequences of the incomplete brain maturation; higher accident rates.
Lily-Jane
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think it should be lowered because nobody can say when someone comes of an age of responsibility. Some people understand democracy at 12. Others don't until they're 30. You can have very responsible children and irresponsible adults, so it is difficult to set an age. But it is our teenagers now (who can't vote) who will be must affected by decisions adults make. We should teach teenagers about voting responsibility and we will create a generation of responsible voters.
Burridge
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Srehman32)
I completely agree with you on the idea that the education curriculum should support political awareness. But, I still believe a 16 year old's brain is not developed enough to make such an important decision. The part of the brain involved in simulating future consequences of actions and reasoning (the orbito frontal cortex) is the same in teenagers and children, so teenagers aren't really at a position ( neurologically speaking) to really understand the consequence of their vote the same way an adult can. As I said before, the impulse control centre of 16 year olds is still undergoing development, we should wait for them to be able to make more rational decisions before they can vote. Even insurance companies charge teenagers more because they saw the consequences of the incomplete brain maturation; higher accident rates.
Following the science about brain development so rigorously isn't necessarily the strongest line to take on this issue. Shrinkage in the brain mass - particularly the frontal lobe - begins at age 60; shrinking by as much as 25% when we hit 85 years old. This worsens with time - and is accompanied by declining cognitive functions and neurological impairment. Does this justify revoking the rights of elders to vote?

Not to mention the brain isn't fully developed by age 18 at all. So if you're a man of science - as you seem - you must also disagree with giving 18 year olds the right to vote. The brain fully develops at around 25 years or so.

Perhaps we should have a voting window to allow for the most efficient decision making process? Shall we say 25-60? That demographic would truly change the face of politics thats for sure!
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
tbh the fairest way would be to apply genuinely Universal Suffrage. that is everyone in society gets to vote. the artificial age limits should be swept away.
SteveyStack
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I feel a lot of 16 year olds don’t realise how naive they are. I got a vote on brexit aged 18 and my vote was completely uninformed in reality.

There are a number of arguments both for and against but personally I would like for pretty much everything to be at 18 ie. when you can gamble, drink, smoke, fight etc.

I think there is as much of an argument in raising the age to 21 as lowering to 16. Also remember those who want it lowered know they will receive more votes from young people (often because they are naive).
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Votes at 16 yes, but the other things you cannot do at that age should remain.
xxlaila03xx
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No way José
We are way too immature
People will just vote for the Tory's for the meme
Zoqua
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
As I have regularly discussed in the thread about Brexit, in link to it, https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5854700, I believe very strongly that 16 year olds should have the right to vote(I myself am 16), and yes I do feel like you do. Good thread question.

Like the name by the way
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No.

If you remove emotion, there are far more logical arguements in favour of raising it to 21, rather than lowering it..

Neither should happen though, it's fine where it is.
MathsMania
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I feel like when we're still waiting to vote, there are some seriously misinformed adults who may be voting for stuff that will negatively impact us when we;re older
Zarek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
A good proposal to make to wind the Tories up and keep them on the back foot regarding their own election manipulating schemes. However I think voting age is pitched about right at 18.
kthughes2003
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think that it should b lowered.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (209)
12.75%
Excited (146)
8.91%
Worried (296)
18.06%
Terrified (370)
22.57%
Meh (151)
9.21%
Confused (36)
2.2%