A2 maths

Watch this thread
mindreader101
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
i'M HAVING TROUBLE UNDERSTANDING THE new concepts in A2 any advice on how to clarify
vicvic38
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
What are they?

I can't help if you don't tell me.

Give a specific topic you need clarification on.
mindreader101
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
whats a complex number?
cosecant and secant graphs
(Original post by vicvic38)
What are they?

I can't help if you don't tell me.

Give a specific topic you need clarification on.
vicvic38
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mindreader101)
whats a complex number?
cosecant and secant graphs
They've brought complex numbers down, have they?
Visualise the number line. Its straight, isn't it? one long line, stretching to and from infinity.

Now imagine the 2D plane, like what you would plot a graph on. This is the complex plane. You can think of complex numbers as points on this plane. The Y axis gives the imaginary part of the number. The X axis gives the Real part. If you have more specific questions, just ask.

I'm not quite sure what you want to know about these graphs. They are just y=1/sinx and y = 1/cosx
Resonance234
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Im not a mathematician

I do use complex numbers most of the time.

I would define them as this set:

\mathbb{C} = \{ (a, b)  | a + jb  \,\,\,\, a,b \in \mathbb{R}, j^{2} = -1  \}
Complex numbers are different from real numbers in that the real numbers are a subset of complex numbers when the imaginary part is zero.

Then, you can do some exercises, like plotting them in the complex plane, finding magnitudes, adding subtracting them.

I think, you should always define your mathematical objects, then understand their properties and theorems. At least, that is what the books taught me.

Also, have you learned LaTex? Typing out the math stuff on it really helped mebecause I had dyslexia.
Definition:
1. Set of complex numbers.
2. Real part.
3. Imaginary part.
4. Magnitude and phase of a complex number.
5. Algebraic form and polar form of a complex number.
6. The argand diagram or the complex plane.

Theorems:
1. Multiplication with the complex conjugate.
2. Addition and subtraction with the complex conjugate.
Last edited by Resonance234; 2 years ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (5)
17.24%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (3)
10.34%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
13.79%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (3)
10.34%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (7)
24.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (7)
24.14%

Watched Threads