Spidey36
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Is it possible to pursue a career in astronomy if you do not cover it specifically in your degree (you don't take those modules) but have done some independent research to write essays based on that area of physics? I would have thought that to some extent astronomy is an application of other physics already learnt.
Walt_kovacs
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Yes, much of astronomy is simply applied physics. Take astrophysics for example, which is basically studying the mathematical laws of physics with regards to what's going on inside/around stars. Many modern astronomy careers involve intensive data analysis, so if you've done any of this kind of thing it will help you. Overall though, for a career in astronomy I believe you would have to do a master's in physics and/or astronomy followed by a PhD. This is assuming you want to go into academic research, which is basically where all the astronomy jobs are. You shouldn't have much trouble getting onto a postgraduate astronomoy or physics degree if you have a maths/physics undergraduate degree.
Last edited by Walt_kovacs; 8 months ago
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Actually a very large amount of astronomy is applied maths. It's more mathematical than a lot of other areas of physics, since it includes a lot of e.g. fluid mechanics, PDEs, relativity (which is often researched through mathematics departments rather than physics departments) etc, compared to other areas of physics. On the observational astronomy side it's very much data based, which again often relates more to maths than physics anyway.

As above, to be an astrophysicist (or "astronomer"), you need to do a PhD and go into academia. You could do this in some area of astrophysics or in applied maths potentially.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (97)
61.78%
No (60)
38.22%

Watched Threads