New prime minister on Tuesday what does this mean to you? Watch

mjhmichael18
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
What does it mean to you that the UK is going to have a new prime minister on Tuesday? and Who do you think is more likely to be the next resident of 10 Downing Street out of Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt?
I know this is a tricky question and Brexit depends on it. I have always wanted there to be a deal as a no-deal Brexit would cause a lot of big consequences financially.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by mjhmichael18; 4 weeks ago
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It means that the TSR D&CA forums will get very busy :yy:
max4576219472
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
i am GUESSING that it'll be boris johnson coz he'll probs get on w donald trumps
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by mjhmichael18)
What does it mean to you that the UK is going to have a new prime minister on Tuesday? and Who do you think is more likely to be the next resident of 10 Downing Street out of Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt?
I know this is a tricky question and Brexit depends on it. I have always wanted there to be a deal as a no-deal Brexit would cause a lot of big consequences financially.
Technically speaking Boris wont become Prime Minister until Wednesday afternoon. The current plan is to announce the result on Tuesday but May will take her final PMQ's (traditionally lots of clapping, praising, fan service and a Cameron esq quote like 'i was the future once') and then head to see the Queen on Wednesday to formally resign and recommend that Boris be invited to the Palace and be appointed. Later on Wednesday we will then see Boris walk up Downing Street and make a speech.

It is a terrific symbol of a healthy democracy, our history in involving the monarch and hopefully a sign that one way or another, we will leave the EU on 31st October.

Of the five scenarios i see, Boris wins an election in three of them so i put him at 60% albeit that is just to be largest party (who knows about a majority).
Last edited by Rakas21; 4 weeks ago
Zarek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Sad that the self serving scoundrel BJ is to achieve his ambition and curious to see if he can make any progress in unpicking the absolute mess TM has dug us in to. But it is a general election and hopefully a changing of government which I am longing for.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Zarek)
Sad that the self serving scoundrel BJ is to achieve his ambition and curious to see if he can make any progress in unpicking the absolute mess TM has dug us in to. But it is a general election and hopefully a changing of government which I am longing for.
What change of government?
Onde
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Mr Johnson will almost certainly win the Tory leadership contest, and may be appointed as PM if May can persuade the Queen that he can gain the confidence of the House of Commons.

If we are fortunate, then the UK will have no major riots over the next two years. While the economy has an increased probability of crashing, I predict it will get better when it reaches the lowest point:bandit:.
Zarek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The Tories swept aside by Labour. It's time for change..
(Original post by Rakas21)
What change of government?
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Does anyone think that if there was a VoNC shortly after Boris Johnson took office (likely from Labour), the Tories voting against him would be in double figures?

I'm not talking about a late-October VoNC, which I could see around 20 tories voting to bring down their government to avoid a no-deal.
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Often the person who least wants to be leader is the right person to do the job.

Boris has always wanted nothing else and his extreme narcissism, his chronic inability to tell the truth and his manipulative, hypocritical ways mark him out as exactly the wrong sort.

Unfortunately, like many such individuals, he has fine tuned his charm sufficiently to win over the gullible and the easily duped. People like that make up the bulk of the Tory electorate.
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
*Lib Dems/Remain Alliance and the Brexit Party
(Original post by Zarek)
The Tories swept aside by Labour. It's time for change..
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 123543)
Does anyone think that if there was a VoNC shortly after Boris Johnson took office (likely from Labour), the Tories voting against him would be in double figures?

I'm not talking about a late-October VoNC, which I could see around 20 tories voting to bring down their government to avoid a no-deal.
An immediate vote won't work, because even the people who can't stand him will want to give it till October to see what happens first. The danger zone for Boris is in Oct/Nov.
random_matt
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Who knows, perhaps the 1922 will change the rules.
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'd tend to agree with you, but I suspect that the likes of Dominic Grieve/Sam Gyimah wouldn't pass off the opportunity (don't blame them). Whether there would be more than perhaps 5 is a different matter altogether, though.
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
An immediate vote won't work, because even the people who can't stand him will want to give it till October to see what happens first. The danger zone for Boris is in Oct/Nov.
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Some Good TV
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'd tend to agree with you, but I suspect that the likes of Dominic Grieve/Sam Gyimah wouldn't pass off the opportunity (don't blame them). Whether there would be more than perhaps 5 is a different matter altogether, though.
There's a key by-election on Aug 1st - Brecon & Radnor - which the LibDems could potentially win from the Tories - the latter currently have an 8000 majority. If that one does fall, it will only take 1 or 2 further by-elections to topple (potentially) the current government, or at least leave it hanging by so slender a thread that it will be pretty much impossible for them to operate.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
We need Jeremy Corbyn.
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Technically speaking Boris wont become Prime Minister until Wednesday afternoon. The current plan is to announce the result on Tuesday but May will take her final PMQ's (traditionally lots of clapping, praising, fan service and a Cameron esq quote like 'i was the future once') and then head to see the Queen on Wednesday to formally resign and recommend that Boris be invited to the Palace and be appointed. Later on Wednesday we will then see Boris walk up Downing Street and make a speech.

It is a terrific symbol of a healthy democracy, our history in involving the monarch and hopefully a sign that one way or another, we will leave the EU on 31st October.

Of the five scenarios i see, Boris wins an election in three of them so i put him at 60% albeit that is just to be largest party (who knows about a majority).
Did you know Cameron used that quote because In one of his PMQs, I'm pretty sure his first one, against Blair he said "He was the future once" and Brown said to him "to think he was the future once", it was a good reference
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Grieve and others have already stated that they would support the government and that he should have a chance to try negotiate.

The number who would sink the government is estimated to be no higher than 13 because you have the likes of Guake who has said he'd no deal over monc.

The two questions in this scenario are..

1) Will CUK support it - They have said No previously so before October probably not.

2) What do the Lab 26 do. They have said they will vote for a deal, dont like Corbyn and may wish to avoid been seen to be part of a remain coup. If they simply abstain, the government survives.

So the risk is mjnimal.
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
As much as I hate to admit, BoJo will succeed Theresa May as Prime Minister without a doubt given that he has an overwhelming support from Tory MPs and he's the one who most satisfies the Brextremists as opposed to Hunt.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (67)
13.7%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (76)
15.54%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (94)
19.22%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (194)
39.67%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (26)
5.32%
No particular grades needed (32)
6.54%