Yez2004
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I enjoy learning history, but I hear that the exam technique is not clear, so I might end up enjoying it, but clueless to what way I should answer the questions and get low marks. I also don't much experience with sources in my past years of studying history so I'm not sure if they are hard to understand and analyse.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Yez2004)
I enjoy learning history, but I hear that the exam technique is not clear, so I might end up enjoying it, but clueless to what way I should answer the questions and get low marks. I also don't much experience with sources in my past years of studying history so I'm not sure if they are hard to understand and analyse.
Exam technique is straight forward. They ask a question- You analyse and understand what that question is asking- you write an essay that is aimed at being an answer to the question.- better your essay is the higher the mark. Better= good id of issues, good plan, good analysis, uses of evidence, reach good conclusion.

Sources is just about weighing evidence up and understanding its value plus what it tells us as well as what it does not.

If you enjoy history thats a major advantage, then the rest is being able to teach yourself how to understand the period, then be able to provide a relevant well crafted answer to get good marks.
bwebsi1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you enjoy history, history GCSE is great because there is a variety of topics and you have to get through a lot in a short space of time. The questions aren't too complex to answer because once you start practicing them you get used to how to answer them really quickly, it's just about knowing what the question is asking. In terms of sources, I had never looked/analysed a source before GCSE so don't worry about that. I really struggled with sources but with so much practice, they were fine by the end. It's a similar thing, you just need to know what to look for and a route through them and you'll be absolutely fine. I think the main reason to take the subject would be if you enjoy learning it because there is a lot to it and it involves essay writing obviously so you have to enjoy the subject! Hope that helps but happy to answer any other questions

(Original post by Yez2004)
qntmfldgnt
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I know this is four weeks late but I just got back my history grade and thought I would share my experience

Also: I did Edexcel IGCSE History 9-1, so I don't know how different it is for other exam boards.

If you enjoy history or writing about history then definitely go for it. It was for sure one of my favourite subjects during IGCSE. sure, lessons were tedious at times (mostly because of the teacher) but I really enjoyed the content and got a really good grade for it.

For exam technique: don't overcomplicate. It's just a 6 marker, an 8 marker and a 16 marker per topic. I see a load of people writing full pages for 6 markers but it's really unnecessary. Just answer with two points and a decent explanation for each and move on. Same goes for the 8 marker. I'd say leave at least 25 minutes for the 16 marker because it's an essay - but as long as you remember your facts and their effects you'll be fine.

I found the source questions (historical investigation) the easiest because you could literally rip most information off the sources. I struggled with Breadth Studies the most: I hated the comparison questions.

My favourite topic was definitely Germany 1918-45. What topics you do depends on your school, but if you like them or don't mind them, by all means go for it.
_Mia101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by qntmfldgnt)
I know this is four weeks late but I just got back my history grade and thought I would share my experience

Also: I did Edexcel IGCSE History 9-1, so I don't know how different it is for other exam boards.

If you enjoy history or writing about history then definitely go for it. It was for sure one of my favourite subjects during IGCSE. sure, lessons were tedious at times (mostly because of the teacher) but I really enjoyed the content and got a really good grade for it.

For exam technique: don't overcomplicate. It's just a 6 marker, an 8 marker and a 16 marker per topic. I see a load of people writing full pages for 6 markers but it's really unnecessary. Just answer with two points and a decent explanation for each and move on. Same goes for the 8 marker. I'd say leave at least 25 minutes for the 16 marker because it's an essay - but as long as you remember your facts and their effects you'll be fine.

I found the source questions (historical investigation) the easiest because you could literally rip most information off the sources. I struggled with Breadth Studies the most: I hated the comparison questions.

My favourite topic was definitely Germany 1918-45. What topics you do depends on your school, but if you like them or don't mind them, by all means go for it.
What do you think is the best way to revise for history IGCSE, and how did you remember all the dates?

Thanks!

Sorry to hijack this thread @op
qntmfldgnt
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by _Mia101)
What do you think is the best way to revise for history IGCSE, and how did you remember all the dates?

Thanks!

Sorry to hijack this thread @op
Making timelines. For major events I found that memorising the year, and maybe the month, was enough. Especially for depth studies, many events can happen in a year (e.g. Germany 1923, 1933, 1934 or Russia 1917) so just make sure you know the order of events and how they relate to each other.
Also I'd record myself explaining how events led to their outcome or the reason behind an event. I found this especially useful because speaking out loud helped me remember and also I could play back these audio clips.
If you're really passionate about this then it's much easier to remember all the dates. That was the case for me. It's especially important for the breadth studies questions as it asks you how something has changed over a period of time, so the events you mention mUST be in that time period.
Good luck with history!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (4)
10.81%
Disagree (3)
8.11%
Neither agree or disagree (10)
27.03%
Agree (12)
32.43%
Strongly Agree (8)
21.62%

Watched Threads