The Student Room Group

Staff nurse to ward sister

I’m soon to start university as a paeds nurse and when I qualify as a staff nurse few years later I want to be a ward sister , is this a choice or do I get chosen or do I do go back to uni to be senior can someone tell me
Hi

You don’t necessarily need to go back to uni to become a ward sister/ward manager. You will however need to have a good few years experience of being in a leadership and management based role.

I would advise you to have a look at job descriptions on the nhs jobs site for more specific skills and experience you would need for the role as every trust will differ. Then come up with a rough plan on how you will achieve your goal.

In regards to it being a choice, thats completely down to you. You have expressed an interest in this role so it is up to you to put in the work to be chosen for the job when it becomes available in your trust in the future.

Good luck x
Original post by dyanijo
I’m soon to start university as a paeds nurse and when I qualify as a staff nurse few years later I want to be a ward sister , is this a choice or do I get chosen or do I do go back to uni to be senior can someone tell me

You will have to do a few years as a band 5. Staff nurse. You will probably have to do a mentorship course and show initiative. You then just apply for band 6 posts.
My friend got a sisters post 3 years after qualification, there are sometimes band 6 development posts (this seems quite common in the trust I work at) so you are supported to learn and gain skills in management and all the other things band 6's do! Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending