How to cure social anxiety ?? Watch

Hannahzx
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have social anxiety I find it difficult making friends because of this , I overthink everything and convince myself to avoid people to stop myself from embarrassment . I want to get a job and start working but my social anxiety is preventing me from doing so . Is it possible to cure social anxiety ?? I don’t want to live in fear because of my thoughts . Social anxiety is ruining my life :/
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
I am the same, I don't even leave the house by myself yet supposed to start university in September
Themedic123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I am so sorry that your social anxiety is affecting you so much. It is really brave for you to be honest about your situation as I know it is not easy! To answer your question, yes social anxiety can be "cured", there are a number of treatments available ranging from talk therapy to certain medications. It is important that you do not suffer in silence and get help. Seeing a GP would be a good starting point. It is common for a GP to see patients with social anxiety issues so don't be discouraged from going. I hope you have a trusted friend or family member that you can speak to in this process.
nanachan123
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I had too, i overcame by simply shutting down my mind, i kept telling myself its all in my head. basically stop thinking about it, get distracted by something else
(Original post by Hannahzx)
I have social anxiety I find it difficult making friends because of this , I overthink everything and convince myself to avoid people to stop myself from embarrassment . I want to get a job and start working but my social anxiety is preventing me from doing so . Is it possible to cure social anxiety ?? I don’t want to live in fear because of my thoughts . Social anxiety is ruining my life :/
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
I've been dealing with social anxiety for the last couple of years and there are lots of ways to try and overcome it! If you've never had any treatments before I would start by seeing your GP who might be able to refer you to a counselling service. They will probably recommend talking therapy or CBT to help you combat it and if your symptoms are very severe and leading to frequent panic attacks they might give you medication.

If you want to try some methods by yourself a lot of it is just learning to question negative thinking patterns. A lot of problems people have with anxiety stem from thinking that nobody will like you or you'll embarrass yourself so it's important to identify moments when you start to think that way and ask yourself if you're being realistic. You sort of have to talk yourself out of it and replace those thoughts with more positive affirmations that the things you're worried about are actually very unlikely to happen and that even if something does go wrong it's not the end of the world. There are a lot of apps and tools online that can support this which I found really helpful!

It's not an easy thing and takes a lot of work because you really have to push yourself but it helps so much trust me! I hope this helped a little bit and you start to feel better soon
Anonymous #3
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi I feel the exact same way
Social anxiety has taken over my life for the past few years , today I went to see the gp which was the scariest thing I have ever done , but he was really sympathetic and gave me counselling referral and online counselling and a follow up appointment with potential for medication, point being I never thought I could ever get help but I did , literally book the appointment on a whim don’t think about it , don’t cancel it just go and think f it , then let it all out, if you need to talk I’m here ,
I honestly don’t believe it can be ‘cured’ as it’s internal and the way our Brains are , but I think we can get help to get better
Good luck but trust me seeking help sooner that better is what you need to do
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.48%
Excited (156)
9.1%
Worried (306)
17.84%
Terrified (381)
22.22%
Meh (170)
9.91%
Confused (37)
2.16%