The Student Room Group

What Level of education do your parents have?

As we have the threads about parents jobs , what about parents education

I think one has a degree and one left school at 16.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I love the fact you do not actually know! Parents are so unimportant!!!!!!
Original post by FemaleinDress

Idk
Reply 3
One left at 15 with nowt, one has a few O-Levels.

My dad is in the RAF, he’s been in there for 25 years. He started off with an apprenticeship then applied to the military. So he didn’t end up doing further education (university).
Mum went back to uni when I was in primary school and got a 1st in maths bsc.
I didn't ever ask dad exactly what qualifications he had (he died when I was 9), I believe he had a couple of gcse equivalents, then mechanic and carpentry qualifications and some hygiene ones relating to being a butcher. Basically mums very academic and logic and dad was always a practical problem solver, I ve ended up a bit of both.
Mum left school at 16 so whatever their version of gcses were and my dad has a few o levels and a few things from a failed college course
Reply 7
One left school at 14..He was dyslexic in a time when he was just called thick. They used to get him to do the headmaster's gardening instead of lessons. Went on to run his own successful company. Mum left school at 15 with a leaving cert.
Original post by Scotney
One left school at 14..He was dyslexic in a time when he was just called thick. They used to get him to do the headmaster's gardening instead of lessons. Went on to run his own successful company. Mum left school at 15 with a leaving cert.

Good on your dad
Reply 9
One has a degree, the other left school at 18.
my dad has some form of degree equivalent, and my mum has a masters degree.

Both achieved them as adults though. Neither went to uni, they both left school as soon as possible with little qualifications and then worked their way up, taking qualifications along the road where possible. My mum did all her studying while I was in primary school.
Both of them left school around 15/16 and went on to a job scheme sorta thing
Both have degrees
1.O levels /CSEs and various college courses.
2.None.
I am very impressed with this. Obviously he is far too good to do the headmaster's gardening, and the headmaster is a rubbish headmaster.
Original post by Scotney
My Dad's father was unemployed, so despite being a grammar school boy, his Mum made him leave school at 15. He did his national service and through them gained good O level marks in maths and english. He ended up running a shop, which failed, then a service station. He always wanted to be a judge, but never got the chance.

My Mum lost her father at 13. She was very bright and got 8 O levels (with some of the best marks in the year) at grammar school. My Nana, despite struggling financially and emotionally, wanted her to stay at school until the sixth form, then on to university. However my Mum met my Dad at 15, and because she thought having a man was the most important thing in the world, she left school at 16 to be with him. She became a senior library assistant. This is where I think I get my love for researching from.

Both have 2:1 degrees
Reply 17
Oh, mine never attended school. Used to be a family tradition, out of a dozen uncles and aunts only one or two can read and write. A different type of education, they know lots of stuff we never got to learn in our education and would all have higher odds of survival in the wild than someone with a degree in Political Science.
Reply 18
grade 8 education.

moved to Chat :h:
Mum did old style CSE's? I think they were called back then, and my dad did some kind of electroelectronic engineering degree and went to work in power stations.

Quick Reply

Latest