The Student Room Group

Why does my car thud when the engine is switched off ? short video inc

https://youtu.be/wlsF3pYBvCs

car - 57 plate vauxhall vectra 1.9 cdti 120 bhp.

What is the problem ?
The mechanic who messed about with it is the problem and he caused the problem ( I no longer see him anymore ), he poked a bar through driver side wheel area trying to find a different problem at the time with suspension. ever since then from the exact/second moment whenever I turn off the engine it thuds. worse the longer has been running.
it was intermittent, the thud would come and go sometimes the thud would go away for weeks then come back and so on, now it is constantly there.

Problems
very unpleasant thud every time the engine is switched off, it has damaged parts due to the constant thud, the alternator had be replaced at it's pulley/bearing burnt out after months of rattling from being loosened. now something else has been damaged as another rattling noise can be heard when turning steering wheel from under bonnet.

has it been to a garage ?
Yes, the garage have had a look at it, checked the mounts e.t.c, said all looked fine and they can't see what is causing it.

Note : the rattle is coming from exhaust, put a jack under exhaust and the rattle goes away. the thud is not to do with the exhaust rattling.

Note : any advice to what the problem with it may be are very much appreciated. thanks
(edited 4 years ago)
Looks like no problems to me, it's normal that a diesel would shudder to a stop.

If we're talking more extreme then could be engine mounts, but probably not.

TAKE IT TO A GARAGE, you can't blame other people it's your ****ing car.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Looks like no problems to me, it's normal that a diesel would shudder to a stop.

If we're talking more extreme then could be engine mounts, but probably not.

TAKE IT TO A GARAGE, you can't blame other people it's your ****ing car.

Definitely not normal it always turned off completely normal so smooth until he poked a bar through the wheel area now it makes a massive thud when the engine is stopped. then the thud would disappear and switch off completely smooth then the thud would come back.
it started when he put the bar through that caused it so it is his fault, my only fault was taking it to him in the first place but he is no longer in my life
Initial thoughts are that there aren't really any problems, diesels are known to stop with a shudder (probably down to heavier parts and the higher compression ratio). If the garage can't come up with anything, then it's likely nothing. Do you think a garage would pass on a profit just because they can?

How do you know that this shudder, which again, is completely normal for a diesel, is the source of parts damage? Have you ever experienced a HGV engine shutting off? It's certainly more violent than this. How do you know that the parts were fitted properly and that poor-fitting wasn't the cause of premature wear?

Hell, given that a shudder is normal for a diesel, how do you know that you didn't notice the shudder until after it had been to the garage?

I certainly hope you weren't jacking the car up by the exhaust either...

My advice? Get it checked by another trusted garage if it concerns you that much. If they find no issue in regards to the shudder, it's normal and you never noticed it until after it had gone to the garage, thus the premature wear is likely down to poor fitting, undiscovered worn parts causing other parts to wear prematurely or faulty parts.
Original post by TheMcSame
Initial thoughts are that there aren't really any problems, diesels are known to stop with a shudder (probably down to heavier parts and the higher compression ratio). If the garage can't come up with anything, then it's likely nothing. Do you think a garage would pass on a profit just because they can?

How do you know that this shudder, which again, is completely normal for a diesel, is the source of parts damage? Have you ever experienced a HGV engine shutting off? It's certainly more violent than this. How do you know that the parts were fitted properly and that poor-fitting wasn't the cause of premature wear?

Hell, given that a shudder is normal for a diesel, how do you know that you didn't notice the shudder until after it had been to the garage?

I certainly hope you weren't jacking the car up by the exhaust either...

My advice? Get it checked by another trusted garage if it concerns you that much. If they find no issue in regards to the shudder, it's normal and you never noticed it until after it had gone to the garage, thus the premature wear is likely down to poor fitting, undiscovered worn parts causing other parts to wear prematurely or faulty parts.

Ok
It is my car I had it a year until the thud started and I know how it feels aND I know it never thudded until the exact instant her put bar through the wheel area , I turned engine on and off right after he put bar through and that second after it does it for the first time, every toher time it truns off so smooth you cant even feel it. inside the car you can feel a big thud when ti is turned off, no it is not normal andf started after he put the bar through. my friend has same car but 150 and feels completely smooth, how mine felt before he put he bar through the wheel area
The engine runs very nicely and smoothly for a diesel. It seems there is nothing to be concerned about.

My advice is that you just ignore it. All engines behave like that to an extent, especially big ones and diesels.
Reply 6
Clattering/thudding on engine start and stop is often the dual mass flywheel.
Guess, you gotta check for the rear main seal for any leaks. I guess time for a new flywheel
Original post by Mr. Petrol Head
Guess, you gotta check for the rear main seal for any leaks. I guess time for a new flywheel

Hi, thanks for replying
The Flywheel and clutch were replaced with brand new LUK parts 6 weeks or so before the thud issue. (the idiot who caused the thudding issue was the same idiot who replaced the flywheel and clutch )
If it was flywheel related why would it have happened the exact instant/second he poked the pry bar through the driver wheel area ? The rattle you can hear is from the exhaust by the way so it is not a flywheel rattle. (the same idiot bashed out the internal of the dpf while I had exhaust off to replace flexi part with a clamp on one , I am looking out for a new exhaust dpf now as well.)
The car drives/performs brilliantly starting, driving e.t.c. it just the turn off thud.the thud feels horrible inside the car and the thudding and is sometimes worse than as seen on this video.

Why check the rear main seal ? do you mean in case the thudding has damaged it ? thanks again very much and I look forward to your response.

edit: I no longer use this so called mechanics services,
Original post by Nuffles
Clattering/thudding on engine start and stop is often the dual mass flywheel.

The Flywheel and clutch were replaced with brand new LUK parts 6 weeks or so before the thud issue. (the idiot who caused the thudding issue was the same idiot who replaced the flywheel and clutch )

If it was flywheel related why would it have happened the exact instant/second he poked the pry bar through the driver wheel area ? The rattle you can hear is from the exhaust by the way so it is not a flywheel rattle.

thanks
Original post by Cleverboy1991

If it was flywheel related why would it have happened the exact instant/second he poked the pry bar through the driver wheel area ? The rattle you can hear is from the exhaust by the way so it is not a flywheel rattle.

thanks

Well it seems like this "idiot" isn't to be trusted - how do you know that he installed the clutch and flywheel properly? Improperly torqued flywheel bolts could be the cause of your issue, or just a faulty DMF. It happens.

There is such a thing as coincidence. It's quite hard to damage something just by giving it a poke with a pry bar.

Quick Reply

Latest