StudentForSQA
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hello! Welcome to the National five History thread for your SQA exam you will be sitting in May! Here we can help each other based on how to answer different style of questions and on information about the topic you’re studying. However, do remember not all the topics that you are studying will be the same as other people as there are various topics in this course which your teacher chooses from.

Furthermore, down below I will be posting sooner or later what little things you must do in order to not lose silly marks on little things even if you have written correct information because if your layout is wrong, you’ll get 1 - 2 marks or 0 marks depending on the type of question you answered with the correct information.
Last edited by StudentForSQA; 3 months ago
StudentForSQA
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
1) Describe Questions - Usually 4 or 5 marker questions which are asking you to tell the marker what something was like e.g. conditions in coal mines before 1842. You would answer this 4 marker questions like this

Before 1842, one of the conditions that all workers faced in the coal mines was that trappers had to stay up to let ventilation or coal pass and trappers where usually very young children who if they did fall asleep there could’ve and probably would’ve been an explosion. Before 1842, another condition that many workers faced in the coal mines was that women and teenagers worked as putters, meaning they had to push coal down the shafts and this was dangerous as another worker could’ve got ran over getting injured. Before 1842, another condition faced by the workers was that women carried coal on their backs and brought them to the surface, this was dangerous as the ladders were slippery so if they fell it could’ve been a long way down and injuring yourself and potentially other workers who were near you climbing. Before 1842, another condition that the workers faced in the coal mines was that men worked as hewers, who cut coal using a pick axe. This was dangerous as this could’ve caused floods or cave - ins which killed many workers including yourself leading to a huge amount of deaths.

As you have noticed I have not wrote in separate paragraphs, or bullet pointed them. This is because this makes it obvious that you’re trying to make it clear to the marker that you have written 4 points, whereas you do not tell the marker that you have written 4 points, the marker checks where you have made 4 points in a paragraph to make sure there are 4 different valid points rather than you trying to make it obvious as you would more likely to gain marks even for similar points which is not allowed as 3 points could be similiar and you would still gain all full 4 marks, so the SQA have said to all markers that you are not allowed to give people marks for those layouts maximum marks that can be given are 1 or 2 (my teacher is an SQA marker for Nat five History, she told me this and said there were people who wrote everything correct, deserved A’s but got a C because of this layout of the SQA rule). So don’t write in separate paragraphs or bullet points, write your answers in 1 whole paragraph. It’s the markets responsibility to pick out and find out your 4 points or 2 developed points made.
As you can see I have also repeated the questions once finishing one of my points IMPORTANT NOTICE: If you do not repeat the question before stating a point in any type of question the maximum mark you would get for a describe question is 1 mark out of 4 or 5 marks whether if your other points are valid or not. So you must repeat it with the date if given every single time with valid information to gain full 4 or 5 marks. The question I answered is in the topic changing Britain unit 2 and is a 4 marker question in which I would get 4 out of 4 marks.
Last edited by StudentForSQA; 3 months ago
gotohellkitty
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Thank you for this! I'm sitting my Nat 5 History in 2020
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by gotohellkitty)
Thank you for this! I'm sitting my Nat 5 History in 2020
The most interesting subject at N5, imho, depending on what units you are studying. We did "Migration and Empire", "Changing Britain" and "Hitler's Rise to Power".

Even though the assignment and final exam will be your utmost priority, try to enjoy/become interested what you're learning rather than just taking it as "a fact I need to remember" - for me, this makes it go in easier. Make sure you get a good grasp of the layout of source questions. Other than that - have fun
gotohellkitty
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Ah, we're doing "Free At Last", "Atlantic Slave Trade" and "The Great War"

I've done the Free At Last unit and am starting The Great War just now, and I really enjoyed the first unit but I'm not so fussed about the second one and don't really know why 😂
ShirazStudent
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Labrador99)
If you're doing National 5 History this year, this is the place for discussing assignments, prelims, the exam (:eek:) and anything at all related to the course If there's something you keep getting stuck on, just post here and someone else should be able to help you out!

To get the discussion started...
- Which topics are you doing?
- How are you finding it so far?
- Have you done your prelim yet, and if so, how did it go?
Im doing Free at last, Migration and Empire and Atlantic Slave Trade. I'm doing my prelims in 3 weeks but i don't know what the best way to revise?
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ShirazStudent)
Im doing Free at last, Migration and Empire and Atlantic Slave Trade. I'm doing my prelims in 3 weeks but i don't know what the best way to revise?
:wavey:

I've just moved your post over to this year's Nat 5 history thread I never did history, so can't give much advice, but hopefully someone here can help - hope your prelims go well!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • Swansea University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (75)
18.7%
Labour (161)
40.15%
Liberal Democrats (86)
21.45%
Green Party (30)
7.48%
Brexit Party (12)
2.99%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (6)
1.5%
Plaid Cymru (5)
1.25%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)