Anisa_malik
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi , I’m struggling to find books that’s will go with topic that I want to do for my dissertation which is the duality if human nature,so far I have the lord of the flies as a possible choice but suggestions would be much appreciated
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anisa_malik)
Hi , I’m struggling to find books that’s will go with topic that I want to do for my dissertation which is the duality if human nature,so far I have the lord of the flies as a possible choice but suggestions would be much appreciated
If I were you, I would read various books first and then decide on a question or argument. It makes no sense to do it the other way around. I would not recommend doing what you're currently doing.

In any case, you could consider Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde which, as a piece of literature, truly epitomises the theme of 'duality of human nature'.
Last edited by Quick-use; 3 months ago
Anisa_malik
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Thank you for the advice but I’ve been told by my teacher to avoid Dr Jekyll and mr Hyde as it’s a very popular choice and is not technically classified as a advanced higher English piece of literature
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Thank you for the advice but I’ve been told by my teacher to avoid Dr Jekyll and mr Hyde as it’s a very popular choice and is not technically classified as a advanced higher English piece of literature
I feel bad for saying this but your teacher sounds quite misinformed. Yes, Jekyll and Hyde is sometimes used in Higher English, but equally so, it's used in multifarious university-level literature courses around the world... What's more, I can't imagine Jekyll and Hyde being more popular than Lord of the Flies, which is undoubtedly overdone throughout high school English from the beginning of S1/2 to Nat 5 to Higher to AH...

I don't mean to harp on about the text, but I do feel like Jekyll and Hyde is the text for your chosen theme. But, you don't have to do it, of course. Other books you could consider are 1984 by George Orwell, Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut and Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse (among many others).
Last edited by Quick-use; 3 months ago
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
x
This is a great resource for AH English: http://www.shetland-library.gov.uk/d...gBySubject.pdf

You could consider books from the aforementioned link. Books not within the link can also be done, of course. It's not an exhaustive list even if it's extremely plentiful.
BogdanK
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
For a contemporary read you could try Fight Club, I find there to be many similarities and Fight Club matches your theme even more than Lord of the Flies in my opinion.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (47)
25.54%
No (137)
74.46%

Watched Threads