The Student Room Group

Engineering Access Course, What maths ?

Hi all,
I will be starting an access course in engineering in September, but I am slightly confused as to what maths I should work on before I start. Basically I got a B at GCSE maths, and then did A level maths, but as up until roughly a year ago I was very lazy; I didn't do very well at all. My knowledge of maths has somewhat eroded, so would it be wise just to learn and subsequently do past papers for C1-4 and also mechanics? Along with this as I want to do chemical engineering, I was wondering what areas of chemistry I should look into, and any materials you guys have would be appreciated. Also in terms of realism, is it stupid for me to try and embark upon an engineering career despite the fact that I am currently at the level where I would probably not even pass a C1 paper; were i to do it right now.
Original post by Polnareff
Hi all,
I will be starting an access course in engineering in September, but I am slightly confused as to what maths I should work on before I start. Basically I got a B at GCSE maths, and then did A level maths, but as up until roughly a year ago I was very lazy; I didn't do very well at all. My knowledge of maths has somewhat eroded, so would it be wise just to learn and subsequently do past papers for C1-4 and also mechanics? Along with this as I want to do chemical engineering, I was wondering what areas of chemistry I should look into, and any materials you guys have would be appreciated. Also in terms of realism, is it stupid for me to try and embark upon an engineering career despite the fact that I am currently at the level where I would probably not even pass a C1 paper; were i to do it right now.

Calculus, trigonometry, complex numbers and some matrices ... I can't remember much from engineering maths that wouldn't fit into any of those categories. What resource you choose to learn them is more a matter of what works best for you.
Hi,

I just finished my studies in Chemical Engineering at Newcastle University and did a module known as Engineering Mathematics. This involved a lot of Mechanics, trigonometry, matrices, differential/integral equations, complex numbers and anything more that is related to these topics. In terms of Chemistry, from my experience it was all A-Level Chemistry revision for me; this included organic chemistry, reaction mechanisms, adsorption isotherms. If you want more knowledge on what to study, here is the link to Newcastle University website where they break down what modules are taught in what year and what you learn in each module:

https://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/h810/#coursedetails

I used this link when I applied to uni as this gave me a better understanding of what I'll be studying for a Chemical Engineering degree. Also do not feel like you cannot study engineering despite what level you are on. My sister didn't even study A-Level Mathematics and she graduated with an MEng in an Engineering degree.

I hope this has helped! :smile:
Shaki
Original post by Polnareff
Hi all,

Quick Reply