What are the GCSE requirements for Cambridge University? Watch

ABA62827
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Out of curiosity, I was wondering what were the requirements for Cambridge were at GCSE Level. I personally know I’m not good enough to get in but was just wondering if it was even possible.

Is it consistent 7-9s across the board? I wanted to do a degree in medicine or biochemistry. When looking at my GCSEs would they only be interested in my science and possibly maths GCSEs grade or everything. Theoretically speaking (as this is EXTREMELY unlikely), if I was to do well in my science GCSE; achieving grade 9s in biology and chemistry, and a 8 in physics - would it matter about my other GCSEs, which I may have not performed as well at, as they do not relate to the degree, such as History. I just want to strongly emphasis that I’m not going to get those grades or do I think I’m good enough - I’m just wondering if it is even possible. Any feedback would be appreciated
ABA62827
Rep:
?
emphasise*
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
HxshBrxwn
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Its all contextual
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Cambridge do not look at your GCSE numbers as much as Cambridge do. For Oxford, successful medicine candidates have an average of about 10 8's or 9's.

However the A level offer for Oxford medicine is A*AA, but for Cambridge it is A*A*A. Therefore you need to show some progression in your grades from GCSE to A level. If you went to state school, this would be taken into account by both universities. You do need to get good marks in the BMAT, though, to score an interview at either uni.
(Original post by ABA62827)
Out of curiosity, I was wondering what were the requirements for Cambridge were at GCSE Level. I personally know I’m not good enough to get in but was just wondering if it was even possible.

Is it consistent 7-9s across the board? I wanted to do a degree in medicine or biochemistry. When looking at my GCSEs would they only be interested in my science and possibly maths GCSEs grade or everything. Theoretically speaking (as this is EXTREMELY unlikely), if I was to do well in my science GCSE; achieving grade 9s in biology and chemistry, and a 8 in physics - would it matter about my other GCSEs, which I may have not performed as well at, as they do not relate to the degree, such as History. I just want to strongly emphasis that I’m not going to get those grades or do I think I’m good enough - I’m just wondering if it is even possible. Any feedback would be appreciated
ABA62827
Rep:
?
Ok thanks
buzzybuzzybea
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The cambridge website claims the average applicant has around 5 a* but you will not be offered a place based on this. A levels are the real decider for exam results
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
That's right. they want you to show progression from your GCSEs to A level results. They are kind to late bloomers, but still expect good BMAT results for an interview, and will give you a high offer of A*A*A if you get that far.
(Original post by buzzybuzzybea)
The cambridge website claims the average applicant has around 5 a* but you will not be offered a place based on this. A levels are the real decider for exam results
ABA62827
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
That's right. they want you to show progression from your GCSEs to A level results. They are kind to late bloomers, but still expect good BMAT results for an interview, and will give you a high offer of A*A*A if you get that far.
If I wanted to do a dentistry course, at Oxbridge, instead of medicine . What grades would you recommend I need at GCSE - I do 10 GCSE
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
They do not offer dentistry at Oxbridge.
(Original post by ABA62827)
If I wanted to do a dentistry course, at Oxbridge, instead of medicine . What grades would you recommend I need at GCSE - I do 10 GCSE
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (220)
12.45%
Excited (166)
9.39%
Worried (308)
17.43%
Terrified (389)
22.01%
Meh (184)
10.41%
Confused (39)
2.21%