The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Should I bother applying to read MPhil ISMM?

Hi all,

I am considering applying for ISMM for 2020 entry, but I am not sure if I am qualified enough.

Grades: graduated with high 2:1 (66%) in Engineering from a good uni (think Loughborough, Bath, etc); HOWEVER, my grades in 1st and 2nd year were dreadful (2:2), but pushed them up massively in 3rd year (1st), when I also got an award for best dissertation in my department, and a nomination from my university for a national academic honour in a particular area of my degree. Is this enough to offset my initial grades?

Work experience: 3 internships (placement year + 2 summer internships) in consumer goods, two at large companies (think P&G, Unilever, Pepsico), and the last one at an early stage startup, with ties to ISMM (they host their students every year). All the roles were in Manufacturing/R&D. Will go back to one of the big companies for my grad role in Sept 2019. I think my work experience is solid for the course.

Is it worth a shot?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Summit
Hi all,

I am considering applying for ISMM for 2020 entry, but I am not sure if I am qualified enough.

Grades: graduated with high 2:1 (66%) in Engineering from a good uni (think Loughborough, Bath, etc); HOWEVER, my grades in 1st and 2nd year were dreadful (2:2), but pushed them up massively in 3rd year (1st), when I also got an award for best dissertation in my department, and a nomination from my university for a national academic honour in a particular area of my degree. Is this enough to offset my initial grades?

Work experience: 3 internships (placement year + 2 summer internships) in consumer goods, two at large companies (think P&G, Unilever, Pepsico), and the last one at an early stage startup, with ties to ISMM (they host their students every year). All the roles were in Manufacturing/R&D. Will go back to one of the big companies for my grad role in Sept 2019. I think my work experience is solid for the course.

Is it worth a shot?

Try it, they want a 2:1 and relevant internship experience. We can't tell you whether you'll get an offer or not. There will be stronger applicants but that doesn't mean it's impossible.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by Summit
Hi all,

Is it worth a shot?

Hey Buddy ,
Sounds as if you're in a similar position to me last year.
From my understanding they typically look for students with Firsts but if you have good industry experience , which by the look of things you have, they're more forgiving. I wouldn't worry about your low 1 & 2 year grades but expect to be asked about them at the interview. I would absolutely encourage you to apply , it is a course like no other and allows a brilliant exposure to a huge scope of industries through visiting and doing projects for around 40 different companies. I have spoken to a number of the current cohort and have received nothing but good things.
I hope this helps and feel free to ask me any questions you may have
Reply 3
Original post by THEBUTTERFLYLION
Hey Buddy ,
Sounds as if you're in a similar position to me last year.
From my understanding they typically look for students with Firsts but if you have good industry experience , which by the look of things you have, they're more forgiving. I wouldn't worry about your low 1 & 2 year grades but expect to be asked about them at the interview. I would absolutely encourage you to apply , it is a course like no other and allows a brilliant exposure to a huge scope of industries through visiting and doing projects for around 40 different companies. I have spoken to a number of the current cohort and have received nothing but good things.
I hope this helps and feel free to ask me any questions you may have

Hi, I have been accepted into this program for the year 2022/3 and would like to know whether it's worth going. I am very interested in manufacturing but I have a choice between ISMM and Technology Policy (at Judge), which has better placements and alumni profiles. I would really appreciate any reply on whether or not the ISMM experience is worth it.
Original post by znet777
Hi, I have been accepted into this program for the year 2022/3 and would like to know whether it's worth going. I am very interested in manufacturing but I have a choice between ISMM and Technology Policy (at Judge), which has better placements and alumni profiles. I would really appreciate any reply on whether or not the ISMM experience is worth it.

Hi, congratulations on your offer! Do you mind sharing your timeline of Technology Policy? Many thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest