Homeless man - how to help?

Watch
Jane2w
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
There is an African-Caribbean homeless man living outside my apartment. I've seen him for the past few months. He takes drugs and lapses in and out of consciousness every day. I called the ambulance 2 times. They came out and as soon as they saw him they drove away. I think they know him. I also called the police so they could take him to a safer place, but they refused to help, unless he was causing some kind of crime. He just sits on a doorstep on drugs. Is there nothing anyone can do to help him? I'm afraid to approach him because I don't want to form a bond as I live close to him, he may be violent. I just want to help get him to a safer place off the streets.
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You can't force someone to stop doing drugs, unfortunately, and most shelters will not let people who are using stay with them. Have you tried googling charities for homeless people in your area? They might be able to offer some help or advice.
ANM775
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jane2w)
There is an African-Caribbean homeless man living outside my apartment. I've seen him for the past few months. He takes drugs and lapses in and out of consciousness every day. I called the ambulance 2 times. They came out and as soon as they saw him they drove away. I think they know him. I also called the police so they could take him to a safer place, but they refused to help, unless he was causing some kind of crime. He just sits on a doorstep on drugs. Is there nothing anyone can do to help him? I'm afraid to approach him because I don't want to form a bond as I live close to him, he may be violent. I just want to help get him to a safer place off the streets.
You do have an apartment, you could offer him a place to sleep
Jane2w
Rep:
?
(Original post by ANM775)
Absolutely disgusting reply. Reported.
Loosie goosie
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Stupid advice.
Loosie goosie
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just leave him be. This is the way of the world.
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Absolutely disgusting reply. Reported.

How is this a "disgusting" reply?
please enlighten me

A homeless man is always sitting outside your flat. I said you could offer him a place to sleep.
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Loosie goosie)
Just leave him be.

Stupid advice.
Jane2w
Rep:
?
How is this a "disgusting" reply?
please enlighten me

A homeless man is always sitting outside your flat. I said you could offer him a place to sleep.
Your post had sexual undertones, with the silly smiley face. You know what you did. Sickening.
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Your post had sexual undertones, with the silly smiley face. You know what you did. Sickening.

There was no sexual undertone.

You have a "sick" mind
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think that's just your interpretation. Didn't read that way to me - they were simply saying that offering somewhere to stay was something you could do to help
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
And you're a filthy misogynist. I'm tired of men like you.

Reported

Spoiler:
Show
two can play at that game
Loosie goosie
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Stupid advice.
And your best advice would be to offer a junkie a place to nap in her flat. And to believe you managed to stay alive in your mid thirties.
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Why does the homeless man's ethnicity matter btw?
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What?
And you're a filthy misogynist. I'm tired of men like you.
That's a very harsh reaction to a comment - "men like you" is a massive assumption about someone you don't know, not to mention "filthy misogynist"
Last edited by harrysbar; 1 year ago
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Loosie goosie)
And your best advice would be to offer a junkie a place to nap in her flat. And to believe you managed to stay alive in your mid thirties.

At least I came up with a solution,

..rather than just "leave him be"

Well done on winning helper of the year award with that miss moosey loosie
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by black tea)
Why does the homeless man's ethnicity matter btw?
There are some organisations that specialize in providing tailored homelessness advice and support such as the African Caribbean Community Initiative, Ekaya and Steve Biko housing associations.
There are also a few similar schemes focused upon supporting homeless Polish citizens.
spidle
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
some men only want one thing

At least I came up with a solution,

..rather than just "leave him be"

Well done on winning helper of the year award with that miss moosey loosie
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by spidle)
men only want one thing and its disgusting.
What a sexist comment....this whole thread is ????
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Most helpful thing is probably to register his description and location with Streetlink.
They will pass on the information to locally based support workers and volunteers.
Here is the link- http://www.nosecondnightout.org.uk/h...rough-sleeper/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (97)
13.68%
I'm not sure (32)
4.51%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (221)
31.17%
I have already dropped out (17)
2.4%
I'm not a current university student (342)
48.24%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed