Amrd2013
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi I am a year 12 student and I am looking to do an EPQ for Business, however I am struggling to find any good ideas I could do for an essay. I would love some ideas or suggestions about topics I could do or some advice to get me started?. I would be thankful for any help. Thank you very much.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Amrd2013)
Hi I am a year 12 student and I am looking to do an EPQ for Business, however I am struggling to find any good ideas I could do for an essay. I would love some ideas or suggestions about topics I could do or some advice to get me started?. I would be thankful for any help. Thank you very much.
To generate ideas I suggest you do 1-2 weeks generally reading of business news/ newspapers websites and make a list of topics that interest you.
You can make the list over 3 days and look for about 10-20 areas, then assess each one and see which 5-7 stand out for you.
Have an open mind.
Then do some research on each one of those areas of about a page and maybe 3-5 articles or pieces.
Assess again and get it down to about 3-4 subjects.
Write an essay plan for each and imagine how a 5000 word essay could be developed.
Generate ideas and explore what sources are available.
Compare them to each other and rank them as most interesting/ greatest potential to see if one stands out. If you arent sure then develop each one into a 500 word or 2-3 sided essay plan. Go with your favourite are and then spend a bit more time deciding what angle/ question you want, although that can be finalised later when you know more about the subject.

Try and be original and avoid predictable subjects which everyone writes on.

When you look at articles ask yourself if the subject interests you and whether it has the potential to have 5000 words written about it.
The question should be a bit open ended and require investigation. It helps if there is an unknown or differing opinion on what the answer might be then you can explore both sides.
Amrd2013
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
To generate ideas I suggest you do 1-2 weeks generally reading of business news/ newspapers websites and make a list of topics that interest you.
You can make the list over 3 days and look for about 10-20 areas, then assess each one and see which 5-7 stand out for you.
Have an open mind.
Then do some research on each one of those areas of about a page and maybe 3-5 articles or pieces.
Assess again and get it down to about 3-4 subjects.
Write an essay plan for each and imagine how a 5000 word essay could be developed.
Generate ideas and explore what sources are available.
Compare them to each other and rank them as most interesting/ greatest potential to see if one stands out. If you arent sure then develop each one into a 500 word or 2-3 sided essay plan. Go with your favourite are and then spend a bit more time deciding what angle/ question you want, although that can be finalised later when you know more about the subject.

Try and be original and avoid predictable subjects which everyone writes on.

When you look at articles ask yourself if the subject interests you and whether it has the potential to have 5000 words written about it.
The question should be a bit open ended and require investigation. It helps if there is an unknown or differing opinion on what the answer might be then you can explore both sides.
Thank you very much, this will be incredibly helpful !
Amrd2013
Rep:
?
Also does anyone know what are all the stages or the sections of the EPQ are, I know only of the Planning, Research and writing stage. Please can you tell what all the stages/sections are and briefly what they involve ? Thank you very much !!
daegia
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Amrd2013)
Also does anyone know what are all the stages or the sections of the EPQ are, I know only of the Planning, Research and writing stage. Please can you tell what all the stages/sections are and briefly what they involve ? Thank you very much !!
Hello !

I just recently finished my EPQ and to say the least if i were to do it again then id wanna know everything im going to tell you ...

Firstly at my school we had scheduled lessons for the EPQ topic in which we would discuss out ideas and thoughts in the beginning and go onto spending it in silence writing our essay or writing up our research as the year came to an end.

I would say for the first few weeks we were mainly taught about what the projects purpose was and how it was relevant not only for now at a levels but for how itll help us in UNI or for later life in essay writing, researching, referencing etc. we were presented with videos teaching us how to narrow down a topic, making it precise and exact instead of being wishy washy and broad to research. We would do this exercise where we would write an idea and then everyone would pinpick it with ideas of their own about what they would want to know further or put questions to help you narrow your question down.

Then at about week 5-7 once you have finalised your project title, this is when your initial research should start, i recommend spending around 2 hours a week on pure research and i had to put all my findings into a table. This was suuuuuper useful as i could constantly go through the resources and look at what i had written about each: how useful they were, reliability, which part of my essay they would contribute to etc. this also can be used in you final project as a source analysis which will gain you extra points.

I think once the researching was ongoing for around three months i started to think about my essay, obviously i was continuing research but i thought i had to start somewhere. for this i wrote a skeleton essay plan and colour coded my essay as extra management points should be contributed.

As you go through the process of researching, starting and finalising your essay, your supervisor will ask you questions and give you advice. This is what you have to record down in your logbook, which is where all your findings, thoughts and processes will go throughout and at the end of the project. people say this is a bigger part of the whole process than the essay itself and i focused on this part of the project the most. i think its because the project is about understanding and adapting, which if youre recording all your ideas, how youre changing and growing, is going to make your epq up to the purpose it serves overall !

then once you submit your whole essay and logbook at then end, you will be required to do a presentation of your epq to the class and your supervisor for around 10 mins. I found this part weird to start but id recommend writing about your process of completing the epq: what you learned from it, what youd change, what you did to prepare, how you made your research relevant etc, instead of just quoting what you found out about your essay.

then once thats done you complete and evaluation of your project in your logbook and your all done ! i can send you some of the materials i was given for my epq if youd like !

Please have fun with it as well. you defo dont want to be completing a boring epq that doesnt interest you at all.

daegia <3
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.34%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (29)
16.38%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.38%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (25)
14.12%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (48)
27.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.64%

Watched Threads