Pushkinsalive
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hey!
I'm not British and I submitted my application for a master's in London a few days ago.
I don't know if I'm just being paranoid (it's quite possible since it's the first time I apply for a programme in the UK and I'm quite stressed).Anyway, here we go:
Firstly, I obviously had to upload my academic transcript.I uploaded three pdf files(one for each year).All three of them include my transcript in French AND the translation in English. Unfortunately, the translation company that translated my transcript forgot to scan one of the pages of the original transcript in French when they sent me the pdf file and of course I didn't realize until after I submitted my application. So basically now the admissions team can still see the english translation of my transcript but one of the pages of the original in French is missing.Secondly, I also uploaded as proof of english my Cambridge Proficiency Certificate. They want all proofs of english to be maximum 2 years old, which means that they can't accept my certificate, but I figured it would be a good idea to upload a provisional proof of English until I take the IELTS exam in a week.
I have already sent an email to the admission office of the University, in which I clarify why I uploaded my Cambridge proficiency certificate and I ask if I should send them the missing page or maybe just upload it as a supporting document on the platform where I submitted my application, but I didn't get a reply(I don't know if it's because they never received my emails or because they're just too busy). Anyway, my main question is:
Should I contact the convenor of the master's directly or maybe call the admissions office tomorrow? Before I submitted my application, I had sent a few e-mails to the convenor of the master's cause I wanted to ask a few questions and she had replied to all of my emails. I guess my "problems" are not really that important, but as it's the first time I apply for a master's, I got a bit paranoid about my application.
I'm REALLY sorry for the long explanation, I just wanted to explain my problem properly. I also hope I didn't make any mistakes cause I'm in a hurry !
Thanks in advance!
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Pushkinsalive)
Hey!
I'm not British and I submitted my application for a master's in London a few days ago.
I don't know if I'm just being paranoid (it's quite possible since it's the first time I apply for a programme in the UK and I'm quite stressed).Anyway, here we go:
Firstly, I obviously had to upload my academic transcript.I uploaded three pdf files(one for each year).All three of them include my transcript in French AND the translation in English. Unfortunately, the translation company that translated my transcript forgot to scan one of the pages of the original transcript in French when they sent me the pdf file and of course I didn't realize until after I submitted my application. So basically now the admissions team can still see the english translation of my transcript but one of the pages of the original in French is missing.Secondly, I also uploaded as proof of english my Cambridge Proficiency Certificate. They want all proofs of english to be maximum 2 years old, which means that they can't accept my certificate, but I figured it would be a good idea to upload a provisional proof of English until I take the IELTS exam in a week.
I have already sent an email to the admission office of the University, in which I clarify why I uploaded my Cambridge proficiency certificate and I ask if I should send them the missing page or maybe just upload it as a supporting document on the platform where I submitted my application, but I didn't get a reply(I don't know if it's because they never received my emails or because they're just too busy). Anyway, my main question is:
Should I contact the convenor of the master's directly or maybe call the admissions office tomorrow? Before I submitted my application, I had sent a few e-mails to the convenor of the master's cause I wanted to ask a few questions and she had replied to all of my emails. I guess my "problems" are not really that important, but as it's the first time I apply for a master's, I got a bit paranoid about my application.
I'm REALLY sorry for the long explanation, I just wanted to explain my problem properly. I also hope I didn't make any mistakes cause I'm in a hurry !
Thanks in advance!
Well that was a bit of a cluster then! And what are you doing applying now? You are more or less too late for a 2019 start and too early for a 2020 start. If you are aiming for 2019 then you need to a) consider whether you are likely to get a place in an institution worth the fees and b) get your admin sorted. They will insist on the paperwork they need to see, so sending alternatives or missing bits or explaining emails is just clogging up the works. Get the transcripts properly translated and sit IELTS and resubmit - but consider delaying until Oct and making a 2020 application.
Pushkinsalive
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Well that was a bit of a cluster then! And what are you doing applying now? You are more or less too late for a 2019 start and too early for a 2020 start. If you are aiming for 2019 then you need to a) consider whether you are likely to get a place in an institution worth the fees and b) get your admin sorted. They will insist on the paperwork they need to see, so sending alternatives or missing bits or explaining emails is just clogging up the works. Get the transcripts properly translated and sit IELTS and resubmit - but consider delaying until Oct and making a 2020 application.
Hey!Thanks for replying I'm afraid I didn't make myself clear

When I contacted the convenor of the programme, I mentioned the fact that I was gonna take the IELTS exam in late July. She said that it is still possible to apply and that I can still submit my application before taking the exam and receive a conditional offer. If I pass the IELTS exam and providing I receive a conditional offer, I will still be able to upload my IELTS results as a supporting document on the online platform where I applied. I just decided to upload my Cambridge Proficiency certificate as a provisional proof of language. I realize now that it was completely unnecessary, but giving a provisional proof is a common practice in my country of origin.
In regard to the problem related to my transcript, I did get the transcripts properly translated. Once my transcript was translated by the company, they sent me the translation by e-mail(pdf file) and by standard post. The pdf file basically contains my original transcript in French, as well as the certified translation of my transcript. In fact, they scan the documents before they mail them, so that students can use the pdf file to submit the application without having to wait until they receive the letter(which could take many days in my case, since I don't live in France anymore). They forgot to scan one of the pages of the original transcript (the transcript is 3 pages in total) , which means that the pdf file contains the certified translation of my transcript(which is probably what they want to see anyway) , but one of the pages of the original transcript is missing. I just need to scan this particular page and either send it to them or upload it as a supporting document on the platform. I don't even now if they need the original trasncript in French or they just want to look at the translated transcript.
Again, I'm sorry for the length of my reply
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (113)
17.82%
It's just nice to be back! (172)
27.13%
Not great so far... (227)
35.8%
I want to drop out! (122)
19.24%

Watched Threads