Helllo123773
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hiya!
So I’m going to be in yr11 and I’ve just been wondering about my GCSEs. Has anyone got any tips on revision? I was thinking of maybe writing some of my notes/flashcards out this summer? Also does anyone have any good ways of revising maths, English , (triple) Science and Geography. Anything would help!
Thanks a lot! x
Msbrownie.xo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
just writing so i can see how others reply im in the same boat as u
Emily~3695
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi I’m the same year as you, over summer I would say don’t stress too much maybe go over stuff you’ve already covered a bit, I wouldn’t recommend excessive revision as this is your last chance to relax to revise in general I would recommend things like quizlet, Seneca learning and bbc bitesize, I personally think these can be really helpful.
For maths I would definitely recommend doing a few practice questions so you don’t get rusty, sites like Corbett maths and mathsbot can be could for questions.
For science I really recommend just going over content etc the site physics and maths tutor is really helpful for me as it has loads of practice questions and answers. Also free science lessons and primrose kittens are great YouTube channels for science
For English make sure you are familiar with the texts for English lit and for language maybe practice your creative writing for paper 1, I find mr Bruff on YouTube quite helpful.
Sorry I don’t do geography so can’t help you there but honestly don’t stress too much and enjoy your summer
DGeorge13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My number one advice is good luck. In all seriousness, keep on top of everything from the beginning and go over year 10 work casually in the holidays so you don’t forget- if you haven’t made resources as you go do it NOW as you will regret it if you don’t
jjgrad
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I finished my GCSEs a few years back, but hopefully these tips will apply in some way. It's a good idea to start somewhere small in terms of revision such as note-taking your earlier notes, as it will be hectic in less than a year's time revising for 11 subjects or so, but don't overdo it, as with any type of revision.

For subjects like maths, geography, biology, etc. I flipped through past paper questions and mark schemes and highlighted key points and explanations that were needed to get the top marks - this was really helpful for me when I did geography, as exam markers often look for specific words to make sure you understand. Include examples where possible, especially depending on the number of marks the question is. For something like maths, if you look at the mark scheme too, it often tells you how to work out the question, and this method can often be reproduced with different numbers to get the answer.

I wasn't a huge fan of physics, but remembering the key equations to work out masses and stuff made my life easier. For biology and chemistry, flashcards are great for definitions (works for other subjects too!!) and I found it quite useful to use fun phrases to help remember things, e.g. mitosis is asexual reproduction (me-toe-sis **don't judge me!!) and meiosis (meow-sis ** you get the gist).

Don't forget online resources; youtube has videos that summarise key points about almost anything (be sure to check the info and figures are updated though!) For something like English, it's best to, again, look at past papers for question types and either complete full essays (which your teachers can then mark for you if you ask nicely), or research online for other people's opinions about the poems, books, etc that you're studying - but don't copy their ideas. In the same way, group tasks/ revision works well for drawing a range of ideas. Mind maps might be useful if you're looking to link ideas or structures together. Perhaps write a list of key and selective quotes if you need to memorise them for essay style exams.

A little overwhelming, but these are just some of the things that worked for me. Try and experiment with a few of what works for you, and your revision will take off from there. Good luck with your exams!!
Helllo123773
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thank you for all the advice!
Msbrownie.xo
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Helllo123773)
Hiya!
So I’m going to be in yr11 and I’ve just been wondering about my GCSEs. Has anyone got any tips on revision? I was thinking of maybe writing some of my notes/flashcards out this summer? Also does anyone have any good ways of revising maths, English , (triple) Science and Geography. Anything would help!
Thanks a lot! x
oh yh maths genie is A1 for maths
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.45%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.67%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (36)
16.59%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (33)
15.21%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (58)
26.73%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (42)
19.35%

Watched Threads