hogwartslayer
Badges: 4
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have recently graduated from CZ with a full GMC reg and license to practice.
I am considering starting as an FY1 at a locum agency. Would this be a good career move in helping me apply for the F2 standalone program next year?
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by hogwartslayer)
I am considering starting as an FY1 at a locum agency. Would this be a good career move in helping me apply for the F2 standalone program next year?
Why wouldn't you apply to be a proper NHS FY1?

I personally would always advise overseas graduates to join at FY1 level, even though they can join at FY2 (because the course is 6 years). The culture and environment of the UK NHS takes some time to get used to, in my personal opinion.
Ghotay
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Well they’ve left it a little late for that this year

Either way yes F1 locum before F2 is probably your best route
Last edited by Ghotay; 1 year ago
asif007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ecolier)

I personally would always advise overseas graduates to join at FY1 level, even though they can join at FY2 (because the course is 6 years). The culture and environment of the UK NHS takes some time to get used to, in my personal opinion.
Most EU graduates aren’t eligible to join Foundation Programme at FY1. 6 year courses with internship in final year are given full license to practise by the GMC on graduation. Which means graduates are only eligible to start from FY2 but have to spend time in FY1 Locum jobs to transition into the NHS, get experience and get the competencies ticked off. Depending on the country, Internship year in the EU doesn’t match exactly with FY1 competencies no matter how much the GMC insist it does.
seaholme
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think locum agencies is a very non-ideal way to start out. As an F1 and especially new to the UK system, you ideally want to start in a well supported environment which is not how I would describe doing locums by and large, especially just one-off locums to fill gaps. My personal suggestion would be to try and find some kind of job where you're going to be there for a while - ideally a minimum of weeks-months. You'll get to know the system, know the team, and learn how things work in a more supported way if you're a slightly more permanent member of staff. There are standalone F1 jobs advertised - trust grade posts - which may be more suitable.

I've never worked for an agency but my impression is they usually give you a series of one-off shifts, whereas you probably want something more coherent ideally.
qasidb
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by hogwartslayer)
I recently graduated in medicine from a Czech university as well a few weeks ago. Where did you study?
Ghotay
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by seaholme)
I've never worked for an agency but my impression is they usually give you a series of one-off shifts, whereas you probably want something more coherent ideally.
Not really. I’ve been working with locums whose jobs are for months to 1yr+
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by seaholme)
As above - generally they actually try to push longer term jobs on you - a few months at least - as they get more commission that way!
Imran220
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi I am a South African citizen that qualified from Romania and would like to work in the United Kingdom.
I am told by the GMC that in order for me to register I have to have a satisfactory internship, the problem is that according to the GMC I am only allowed to gain full registration which means my degree from Romania comes with an internship, unfortunately the university does not provide the necessary document stating about the internship and there is no post graduate internship in Romania.
EU and UK citizens do not have to show their internship if they qualify from Romania as they go directly to FY2.

Please advise

Kind regards
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (140)
62.22%
I don't have everything I need (85)
37.78%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise