College essentials Watch

L3874
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Staring college in September. What sort of stationary do you need obviously like pens but I heard you need like paper and folders. What has or is buying for college
Paypurr
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You need notepads, I just get the £1 ones from Tesco, don’t buy expensive ones because you will go through TONNES.

You get a lot of paper handouts and stuff from class. So a folder for each subject is ideal, with dividers for topics etc.

For maths I had a separate folder for pure, mechanics and statistics.

Physics I used one folder, a big one, but it got super heavy and full quite quick so I wish I organised it better.
It would probably be best to have a folder for notes about the topic and a folder for past questions and papers for the subject so you can keep them separate. Not having to flick through loads of practice questions to find key information about a topic. So thin folders for the information about the topic and a bigger folder for the practice stuff.

Make sure you stay organised and put things away from each day on the day, because if you leave it you’ll end up having a load to organise and you’re probably going to lose stuff and end up not organising it because you can’t be bothered. I left if a while and I regretted it so much, I spend the whole weekend and a few hours after college for the next week sorting it all out
You’ll need so many paper wallets, see if you can get a good price online if you buy them in bulk

You don’t need anything fancy, just some pens, pencils, a ruler, rubber. I didn’t even need a protractor or compass.

But I got a iPad and Apple Pencil in my last 6 months of college, and I wish I got one sooner as it would have stopped me using so much paper, made organising stuff easier and stopped me carrying massive folders around all year (I always revised at college so I needed to bring stuff with me each day) I used an app called GoodNotes.
I know it’s pricey but I so recommend it, I could download pdfs of past exam papers so I didn’t have to print thick past papers off. I could access the internet in lesson if I was stuck on something and the tutor was busy. I could also download the pdfs of the revision books so I didn’t need to carry them or textbooks around with me.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
L3874
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thanks this has helped soo much. The iPad what did you use it for and did you take it to college with you and would a small laptop be alright instead
(Original post by Paypurr)
You need notepads, I just get the £1 ones from Tesco, don’t buy expensive ones because you will go through TONNES.

You get a lot of paper handouts and stuff from class. So a folder for each subject is ideal, with dividers for topics etc.

For maths I had a separate folder for pure, mechanics and statistics.

Physics I used one folder, a big one, but it got super heavy and full quite quick so I wish I organised it better.
It would probably be best to have a folder for notes about the topic and a folder for past questions and papers for the subject so you can keep them separate. Not having to flick through loads of practice questions to find key information about a topic. So thin folders for the information about the topic and a bigger folder for the practice stuff.

Make sure you stay organised and put things away from each day on the day, because if you leave it you’ll end up having a load to organise and you’re probably going to lose stuff and end up not organising it because you can’t be bothered. I left if a while and I regretted it so much, I spend the whole weekend and a few hours after college for the next week sorting it all out
You’ll need so many paper wallets, see if you can get a good price online if you buy them in bulk

You don’t need anything fancy, just some pens, pencils, a ruler, rubber. I didn’t even need a protractor or compass.

But I got a iPad and Apple Pencil in my last 6 months of college, and I wish I got one sooner as it would have stopped me using so much paper, made organising stuff easier and stopped me carrying massive folders around all year (I always revised at college so I needed to bring stuff with me each day) I used an app called GoodNotes.
I know it’s pricey but I so recommend it, I could download pdfs of past exam papers so I didn’t have to print thick past papers off. I could access the internet in lesson if I was stuck on something and the tutor was busy. I could also download the pdfs of the revision books so I didn’t need to carry them or textbooks around with me.
Paypurr
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by L3874)
Thanks this has helped soo much. The iPad what did you use it for and did you take it to college with you and would a small laptop be alright instead
I’ve seen some people take laptops, but I used an iPad as I could still write with it like a notepad and pen. I got an iPad Pro 11-inch. I used it for everything in the end, I had quizlet on it for flash cards, I used acrobat for PDF textbooks, revision books, I scanned my paper documents to store on it. I used it to take notes. On the good notes app I used you could import documents, so I could use the PDF downloads of past papers and directly annotate them on the app so I didn’t have to print them.
You can get “folders” on the app, so it was dead easy to organise. You can even search for words and it will find all the matches, so you don’t have to swipe through loads of notes.

I heavily used my iPad when I got it, I took it to college and used it in class instead of pen and paper.

It’s an investment, I’m going to take it to uni and use it throughout uni. So saves buying stationary and notepads.

I also saw some people take Microsoft surfaces.

I did survive using the standard pen and paper but I don’t regret going paperless. It also meant I never lost anything.

It is honestly preference, because we’ve obviously gone through secondary school using paper and pens and done great. So you don’t *need* a tablet. But for me I found it a lot easier.

With a laptop, you can type notes up and store them digitally. Use websites like quizlet for flash cards. But it depends what subjects you’ve chosen, it would be hard doing maths on a laptop, it would be more efficient and ideal doing them on paper than a laptop. But you could get away with using a laptop for the majority of subjects.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by Paypurr; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Guardian Offices, Kings Cross, London Postgraduate
    Mon, 2 Sep '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (220)
12.45%
Excited (166)
9.39%
Worried (308)
17.43%
Terrified (389)
22.01%
Meh (184)
10.41%
Confused (39)
2.21%