How active are Oxbridge students on social media? Watch

That 36 Boy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I just have this curiosity to know. To all of the oxbridge current/past students, how active were you used to be when you were doing your A-levels (or equivalent)? How much did you study per day? How active are you now at Oxbridge? Should i cut down my social media usage? Just a curious mind. Thank you!!
Shish_bish
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by That 36 Boy)
I just have this curiosity to know. To all of the oxbridge current/past students, how active were you used to be when you were doing your A-levels (or equivalent)? How much did you study per day? How active are you now at Oxbridge? Should i cut down my social media usage? Just a curious mind. Thank you!!
I am not an “Oxbridge” student but I was top of my class during my Alevels.

It depends on the subjects you doing, some require very minimal effort some require average and some require a lot. For my case math required minimal effort, chem average and bio alot.

And yes my social media activity was zero, but it wasn’t always like that at the beginning of year 12 I was doing the most, snapchat, insta, little bit of WhatsApp, Reddit and Tsr itself.
I cut out one by one and close to my exams I was only on reddit and Tsr and only follow things relating to 6thform and study.
But that’s not the case for everyone some people can keep high levels of productivity even with social media, likes of jade.but for my case I had do much going on and social media hours just didn’t fit in my days.

So it depends on your subjects and life situation
meme259
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
the same as everyone else?
Anonymous #1
Report 2 months ago
Nah it depends on different people. My best friends going to oxford to do physics and other oxbridge mates are super social + active. I was as well. Literally just depends. Me and my friends were able to balance everything well so we remained social + active throughout exams and sixth form and still worked very hard at the same time. Social connection is an integral part of our human function and people often downplay its importance/abuse it though over using snapchat etc.

During exams, be social and active, but also work VERY hard at the same time. Have a good balance and be happy. You can’t live under a rock during exams it’s not healthy
alevelphysicist
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by That 36 Boy)
Obviously it varies so much from person-to-person, but most are pretty much the same as anyone else. I study quite a lot (around 8 quite intense hours a day during term) and did less than this during A-levels. I've been active on social media throughout, although personally I just don't post much. In my opinion if you can only get in by studying '14 hours a day' and not doing anything outside of working, firstly you're not studying particularly efficiently and secondly Oxford is probably not a great idea if you have to do that much to keep up. You just need to have enough self-control to reduce the time spent on social media in the run-up to exams so you can study hard and you'll be fine.
Parliament
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It's more a question of what you'd do if you weren't on social media - how would the time freed up be spent? If you'd spend it doing something else not particularly worthwhile, then there's no point investing all that energy in a habit change.

I didn't revise particularly intensively for my A-Levels, but I did start revising very early (months before the exams, in January or so). This is just how I prefer to work as it means I don't have to cram and can take my time to understand the content rather than just learn and regurgitate it in the exam. I probably revised for 90 minutes a night on average, around 45 mins at the start of the process in January and then ramped up as exams approached.

But there's no right or wrong answer here and managing your time is up to you; if you feel like you're spending too much time on social media then take steps to address that, but there's not a set golden threshold for number of hours spent revising which will guarantee you exam success.
RomainNeedsHelp
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
There are many successful Oxbridge youtubers, instagramers and members on this forum who are active. I would say that if you are able to manage your time well and have good time management skills then you will find a lot of time to be active on social media as well while at Oxbridge.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (56)
67.47%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.69%
Yes but I might change my mind (9)
10.84%

Watched Threads