tom369
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I hope this is the right place to put this. I've accepted Somerville college at Oxford as my firm choice to do English Literature. Some people who've also applied to Oxford that I know have already got their reading lists, and I haven't, which I'm starting to get a bit worried about. Has anyone else who's going to Somerville got their reading lists yet?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
https://www.some.ox.ac.uk/reading-li...ory-work-2018/

This is last years. Different colleges deal with reading lists and preparatory reading differently it may be Somerville doesn't expect English students to do anything specific before starting. The nature of the English course as I understand it allows you considerable leeway in which texts you choose to study, with advice from your tutor, so the notion of a "reading list" may be less relevant to English students at Oxford.

You have to do some Old and Middle English language work in first year, and engage in relevant theoretical frameworks and scholarly debates, so it may be worth doing some reading on literary/critical theory and/or some work on Middle/Old English (the latter in particular has a number of letters not in the current alphabet, so it may be worth familiarising yourself with these, and also finding a keyboard download that allows you to type this naturally if you want to type work up).

They may of course send you some work to do later in the summer as well anyway though.
Scotney
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So go and enjoy your summer. Plenty of time for work when you get there! It is good to give the brain a rest to get the best out of it. Scientific fact!
(Original post by artful_lounger)
https://www.some.ox.ac.uk/reading-li...ory-work-2018/

This is last years. Different colleges deal with reading lists and preparatory reading differently it may be Somerville doesn't expect English students to do anything specific before starting. The nature of the English course as I understand it allows you considerable leeway in which texts you choose to study, with advice from your tutor, so the notion of a "reading list" may be less relevant to English students at Oxford.

You have to do some Old and Middle English language work in first year, and engage in relevant theoretical frameworks and scholarly debates, so it may be worth doing some reading on literary/critical theory and/or some work on Middle/Old English (the latter in particular has a number of letters not in the current alphabet, so it may be worth familiarising yourself with these, and also finding a keyboard download that allows you to type this naturally if you want to type work up).

They may of course send you some work to do later in the summer as well anyway though.
(Original post by tom369)
Hi, I hope this is the right place to put this. I've accepted Somerville college at Oxford as my firm choice to do English Literature. Some people who've also applied to Oxford that I know have already got their reading lists, and I haven't, which I'm starting to get a bit worried about. Has anyone else who's going to Somerville got their reading lists yet?
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sometimes Oxford colleges are a bit late sending in reading lists. When you get it, you can read some if you like, but they don’t expect you to toil through all of them. My son’s gf, who studies English at Oxford had a reading list consisting of 52 books. Nobody gets through all that, of course!! Just pick a couple that intrigue you
BrasenoseAdm
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hola tom369,

Thanks for your post. We are looking at this as part of a more general review of post-offer engagement. The situation at Brasenose is that we have a bar on sending reading lists until A-level season is finished. After that some subjects send out reading lists while others wait until confirmation in August. There is also a difference between subjects where academics contact firm offer-holders direct and those who communicate via the Admissions Office.

In addition to the reading lists, we also collate and send out letters written by current students to Freshers after August confirmation. These provide some supplementary guidance about how to approach preparatory reading.

We think that it would be useful for us to compare and understand better these varying approaches. We have read several TSR posts on the subject of reading lists which are informing our thinking.

Brasenose Admissions

(Original post by tom369)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (115)
24.84%
Pop (107)
23.11%
Jazz (20)
4.32%