The Student Room Group

hijab doesn't protect you

A lot of girls wear the hijab because it gives them a sense of security, at least, the girls I have talked to and others wear it as a religious obligation, however, I can't help but feel that a lot of these girls have been shamed for having sex appeal and been body-shamed in a way to hide their sexual organs completely with hijab and loose clothing. I started wearing the hijab because my mother told me it was sinful to have your breasts on 'display' and had to wear loose clothing to hide my curves and figure because it's shameful to show it; I no longer wear the hijab however, when i first took it of I felt very paranoid, insecure and felt that everyone would stare because we're practically brainwashed to believe that you're less likely to get raped if you dress modestly and that you're inviting rape if you're immodest.
I was wondering if there are other hijabis who feel this way? Maybe the sense of security you receive from the hijab is because you have been brainwashed to believe that it protects you?
I feel like the hijab does prevent people from chatting me up or maybe that’s because i’m ugly by society’s standards. I know when i wear tighter clothing, i get attention from guys which i don’t mind but that can get really bad. The hijab tells people i’m off limits. Rapists rape whoever they want. so yes i do admit it does stop guys from wanting to do sexual stuff with me IRL but it doesn’t stop the islamphobia. islamaphobia is increasing and wearing the hijab doesn’t help. however, islamaphobic attacks are practically rare compared to rape. but anyways. most rapists don’t care what you have on your head. they will rape you regardless.

i will not lie and say that the hijab doesn’t protect me even just a tiny bit because it does to some extent. not with islamaphobia though. but anyways, i’d much rather accept the consequences of wearing tight clothing these days. because i want to have the freedom to dress how i like.

I personally don’t think modesty like in terms of clothes right should be about what is on your head. sure yes hair can be beautiful but i think what really attracts most people is the body. so you can not wear a hijab but wear loose clothing and i think most ppl would see that the same as a hijabi if you get what i mean.

unfortunately though we live on a planet where people cannot control their urges or don’t care enough to control them. whether god can do anything about it means nothing now cause i doubt god after slavery after the holocaust and world wars he would just come out and say “boo” like the vue cinema dude and get rid of these urges. who knows eh? only the one himself. so you don’t have to be a part of religion to know that wearing loose clothing kinda does protect you a little bit. i know if i went out right now in a bra and shorts, i would be getting lots of attention. unwanted attention. not asking for it though. ngl i think there are way bigger issues than hair. the focus should probably only be on covering the shape of the breasts and ass. hair? don’t really think so. but no disrespect to anyone

also i know there’s going to be someone who picks one line of out this whole essay to prove that i’m either islamaphobic or i am with the “you are asking for it” hate group cos i ain’t either mate. (ppl on here enjoy painting me out to be some sort of psychopath). anyhoo the real onez know
(edited 4 years ago)
you’re very welcome for my detailed essay, babes.
Reply 3
There is no reason a Women should be blamed for rape. When Islam calls for Women to wear the Hijab, it doesn't mean they take responsibility for rape. In Hadiths where a Women is raped, she is never questioned whether she wore the Hijab. Neither is she punished if she didn't, the perpetrator is(with sufficient evidence).
I've seen people claim that the Hijab was ordered on Women because Men can't control their urges. But, before Women were even asked to veil, Men were ordered to lower their gaze. There's another Hadith of a Man who stared at a Women(who wore the Hijab), the Man who stared at the Women was reminded to lower his gaze. The Women wasn't told to cover her face or something. These facts are often overlooked, just to make Muslim Men look like sexual predators.
Hijab is just a layer of protection from a few perverted individual that are present in any society. Me saying this does not mean Women are responsible for rape. A good analogy would be a Father giving his Son a gun to protect himself. If the Son got in some sort of danger and he didn't have the gun his Father gave him to protect himself. Does he deserve whatever happens to him? Of course not.
Hope that clears things up.
(edited 4 years ago)
While most do it because of religious reason, some simply choose to wear it to feel comfortable. You're lucky you're in a country where there is no creepy uncles checking you out on streets, where you can run naked and no one will bat an eye. However in countries where such uncles exist, you'll understand why woman wears hijab and loose outfits to feel comfortable. Even a sight of ankles turns them on lol.

I lived in a muslim country for 13 years, not once i felt paranoid because everyone around me was wearing it and i knew i wont be judged. Life was easier, i just wore an abaya and a scarf, never cared about how i looked. However, in a non muslim country, i could see all eyes looking at me, pitying me for my choice from men to woman and even children. I could see beautiful girls showing off their assets and getting jealous over why can't it be me, i started putting makeup, i started styling my outfits then eventually i took off my hijab. Did that make me free? no, it simply helped me fit in.

No one asks why nuns wear head scarf or why sikh men wear turbans but i dont know why everyone has problems when a muslim woman wears hijab. Ps What's wrong with hiding your sexual organ? I rather wear loose outfits than pop my tits out.
(Original post by Anonymous)
A lot of girls wear the hijab because it gives them a sense of security, at least, the girls I have talked to and others wear it as a religious obligation, however, I can't help but feel that a lot of these girls have been shamed for having sex appeal and been body-shamed in a way to hide their sexual organs completely with hijab and loose clothing. I started wearing the hijab because my mother told me it was sinful to have your breasts on 'display' and had to wear loose clothing to hide my curves and figure because it's shameful to show it; I no longer wear the hijab however, when i first took it of I felt very paranoid, insecure and felt that everyone would stare because we're practically brainwashed to believe that you're less likely to get raped if you dress modestly and that you're inviting rape if you're immodest.
I was wondering if there are other hijabis who feel this way? Maybe the sense of security you receive from the hijab is because you have been brainwashed to believe that it protects you?

No
I wear the hijab on and off.

I find that when I do wear it, creepy guys don't stare at me as much and I don't get cat called when wearing it, so to some extent, it does protect me.
Whatever the wisdom behind wearing it, the reason you wear it is because Allah commanded it. Allah has commanded you cover yourself and observe modest islamic wear, just like he commanded the other obligations like praying etc. You are wearing it for him and you will be rewarded for it as it's an act of worship.
Original post by nanachan123
No

Aa’isha [radiyallaahu-anhaa] wrote to Mu’aawiyah [radiyallaahu-anhu] and said, ‘’To proceed: Indeed, whoever seeks the pleasure of the people at the expense of Allaah’s displeasure will (earn) Allaah’s displeasure and Allah will cause the people to be displeased with him. And the praise of the people will become blame against him. And whoever seeks Allaah’s Pleasure at the expense of people’s displeasure, will (earn) Allaah’s Pleasure and Allah will cause the people to be pleased with him.”
[An Excerpt from ‘Majmoo Al-Fataawaa 3/233’. slightly paraphrased]
depends what you class as the hijab most women will wear a scarf on their head while showing off other body parts and beautifying themselves with perfume and make up and most people will consider this as "hijab", they also lack shyness when talking to men and might even get boyfriends or other things like that, whereas others will wear an Islamic hijab with loose clothing, where others won't be able to see the outline of their body and she generally won't talk to strange men and they will also adhere to Islamic guidelines with travel and other things, such as travelling with a male relative, it is less likely for a stranger on the street to rape a woman like this
Well Sikh men and women both wear turbans, as a Sikh women I wear a turban, as it is a symbol of warriors. It makes me feel empowered as Sikh women were the only women that could fight in battles alongside men in the past in the 15th-16th century. In my opinion Muslim women should also be respected with a hijab as it is a symbol of their modesty, please correct me if I am wrong. If it makes you feel empowered then don't listen to what others say, I fully support you.
Original post by nanachan123
While most do it because of religious reason, some simply choose to wear it to feel comfortable. You're lucky you're in a country where there is no creepy uncles checking you out on streets, where you can run naked and no one will bat an eye. However in countries where such uncles exist, you'll understand why woman wears hijab and loose outfits to feel comfortable. Even a sight of ankles turns them on lol.

I lived in a muslim country for 13 years, not once i felt paranoid because everyone around me was wearing it and i knew i wont be judged. Life was easier, i just wore an abaya and a scarf, never cared about how i looked. However, in a non muslim country, i could see all eyes looking at me, pitying me for my choice from men to woman and even children. I could see beautiful girls showing off their assets and getting jealous over why can't it be me, i started putting makeup, i started styling my outfits then eventually i took off my hijab. Did that make me free? no, it simply helped me fit in.

No one asks why nuns wear head scarf or why sikh men wear turbans but i dont know why everyone has problems when a muslim woman wears hijab. Ps What's wrong with hiding your sexual organ? I rather wear loose outfits than pop my tits out.
(Original post by Anonymous)

No

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending