Manual Or Automatic? Watch

Mrx123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
With the government wanting to slowly phase out Manual cars over the next couple of decades, is it worth learning at all?
Doublletrouble
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
YES ofcourse if you get a manual license you can drive both manual and automatic , anywhere in the world that you go! But if you just get automatic license you're not allowed to drive a manual so better to get 2 in 1
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
OctoberRain7
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’m actually just getting an automatic license (I think). I kinda failed learning on a manual (I have dyspraxia) so it looks like I have a better chance with an automatic. Whenever I get a car it’ll just have to be an automatic, it’s not really a big deal
rhysreeds
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
it's defo worth it if you're thinking abt sports cars and high-end cars in the near future but some manufacturers in those ranges (such as Porsche, Ferrari) are slowly getting rid of it too
Mrx123
Rep:
?
Im thinking Automatic...I mean Manuals but as the years being phased out anyway and I would only have to worry if I needed to drive someone else's car and it wasn't automatic but as the years roll by, Manual will go down and Automatic and Electric will be on the rise
MinaBee
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I got an automatic licence. No regrets :auto:
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Mrx123)
Im thinking Automatic...I mean Manuals but as the years being phased out anyway and I would only have to worry if I needed to drive someone else's car and it wasn't automatic but as the years roll by, Manual will go down and Automatic and Electric will be on the rise
you still get manual EV's... but you are right there not very common. Also EV's still use transmissions.

The main benefit of manual, is their safer. Not physical safety features but the stats show as manuals are more engaging, driver error is much lower in manuals rather than automatics.
OddOnes
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's best to learn in a manual as you can then drive any car. If you're really struggling then just switch to auto.

After passing my test I never had any intention of buying a manual car as automatics are much easier on roundabouts.
Mrx123
Rep:
?
it just seems pointless if in 20 yrs or so, more automatics will be on the road than Manuals
Notnek
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by mnot)
you still get manual EV's... but you are right there not very common. Also EV's still use transmissions.

The main benefit of manual, is their safer. Not physical safety features but the stats show as manuals are more engaging, driver error is much lower in manuals rather than automatics.
Do you have a link to these stats?
Last edited by Notnek; 4 weeks ago
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Notnek)
Do you have a link to these stats?
Not off hand, but im sure if you get on sciencedirect you can find them.

But in average drivers manuals reduced driver error, and once people reach pension age automatics reduced error (I ran with the assumption OP is not approaching 65)
Notnek
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I have a manual licence but I now drive automatic cars. It’s a childish attitude that a lot of manual drivers have that automatic cars are easier and therefore “beneath” them. But it’s so nice not having to change gears and it makes the driving experience more enjoyable.

Also it’s 2019 so why manual cars still exist is beyond me. Theres no need to control the gears yourself unless you’re in a race. Plus modern automatics can change gears faster than humans can.
Mrx123
Rep:
?
I'll be honest, I have mild Autism and can sometimes overthink things...I mean if I keep practicing I could get the manual down I guess but it might just be easier to do Automatic to reduce stress when driving
Notnek
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by mnot)
Not off hand, but im sure if you get on sciencedirect you can find them.

But in average drivers manuals reduced driver error, and once people reach pension age automatics reduced error (I ran with the assumption OP is not approaching 65)
I had a look and couldn’t find them which is why I asked. Its definitely possible that manual drivers are safer (might not be because of the car though) but I’d like to see the stats before believing it.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Notnek)
I had a look and couldn’t find them which is why I asked. Its definitely possible that manual drivers are safer (might not be because of the car though) but I’d like to see the stats before believing it.
Did a quick search and found a paper (although it is more specific to drivers with ADHD)
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs...87054706288103

I do think the reality is however manuals are being fazed out, more because of fuel economy than anything else, they generally are slightly more efficient and manufacturers are being pushed to find increasingly smaller gains.
Mrx123
Rep:
?
it's like when Steam Trains used to be all the range on the railways then along came Diesels which were easier to drive
xoxAngel_Kxox
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
it's like when Steam Trains used to be all the range on the railways then along came Diesels which were easier to drive
*all the rage.

Also, I don't think making trains easier to drive was the main priority, it was more about coal being more difficult to get hold of and having dangerous emissions, whereas diesel is slightly better. All trains will be electric before long.

Regarding the auto thing. I have an anxiety disorder, and had convinced myself I would never be able to drive as I couldn't get everything done at the same time with the gears and observations etc. Taking away the gears was a game changer for me. I passed 4 years ago and have never needed to drive a manual car. The times when you would need to do so are so few and far between that it just isn't worth struggling to pass your test because of it.
MinaBee
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
With the government wanting to slowly phase out Manual cars over the next couple of decades, is it worth learning at all?
You might find this interesting, OP.

If you're really struggling with a manual, don't be ashamed to try out an automatic.
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
it just seems pointless if in 20 yrs or so, more automatics will be on the road than Manuals
20 years is a long time. You'll be able to drive automatics on your manual licence either way and in the meantime you'll still be able to drive manuals. If you really want to just do an automatic licence then there's no need to find reasons that aren't really reasons mate, just do it if you want to. FWIW, I got a manual licence and first 2 cars were manuals, then last car I decided to go automatic and I never want to drive manual again now :lol: Auto's are so convenient in a trafficky area like mine.
Mrx123
Rep:
?
(Original post by It's****ingWOODY)
20 years is a long time. You'll be able to drive automatics on your manual licence either way and in the meantime you'll still be able to drive manuals. If you really want to just do an automatic licence then there's no need to find reasons that aren't really reasons mate, just do it if you want to. FWIW, I got a manual licence and first 2 cars were manuals, then last car I decided to go automatic and I never want to drive manual again now :lol: Auto's are so convenient in a trafficky area like mine.
you know...you make a good point!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (167)
13.12%
Excited (111)
8.72%
Worried (232)
18.22%
Terrified (298)
23.41%
Meh (101)
7.93%
Confused (32)
2.51%
Putting on a brave face (169)
13.28%
Impatient (163)
12.8%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise