The Year 12's onto 13 Summer Study Support Group 2019 Watch

CinnamonSmol
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
:dancing2:Welcome to the Year 12 onto Year 13 Summer Study Support Group 2019!:dancing2:

This is a new discussion thread for those of you who have just completed Year 12 and need somewhere to vent, chat and ask questions about Year 13/A-levels/applying to uni/life in general Congratulations on making it through this year, now its time to tackle the summer struggles of coursework, course catch-up and somehow finding a way to relax.:banana2:

Here are a few questions to get started:

Which subjects do you take?
Most and least favourite?
How did you find Year 12? Did anything surprise you? Any regrets?
Are there any habits you want to continue/start/get rid of for next year?
Summarise this year in 1 word.
What are your summer plans? Holiday, studying, netflix and chilling?

As someone who has just completed their A-level exams, I'm open to answering any questions and advice
Last edited by CinnamonSmol; 1 month ago
Charlotte LG
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello, what did you do to prepare for Y13 during the summer of Y12?
(Original post by CinnamonSmol)
:dancing2:Welcome to the Year 12 onto Year 13 Summer Study Support Group 2019!:dancing2:

This is a new discussion thread for those of you who have just completed Year 12 and need somewhere to vent, chat and ask questions about Year 13/A-levels/applying to uni/life in general Congratulations on making it through this year, now its time to tackle the summer struggles of coursework, course catch-up and somehow finding a way to relax.:banana2:

As someone who has just completed their A-level exams, I'm open to answering any questions and advice
liam.ro
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
For anyone interested in discussion or questions, I'm a Year 12 student taking AQA Chemistry and Biology, and Edexcel Maths and Further Maths. I'm also native in Japanese, though I've still never come across anyone on TSR who needs help with A Level Japanese. I'll mainly be revising for my UCAT scheduled for the end of August.

Feel free to ask me anything!
LJS25
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(1) Maths, Further maths, Physics, Chemistry
(2) Favourite: Further Maths, Least favourite: Chemistry
(3) Stressful! Wish I prepared more beforehand and used the summer holiday to go over some of the new material.
(4) Would love to exercise more and be better at getting up early!
(5) Tiring.
(6) Studying and relaxing with friends and family
CinnamonSmol
Rep:
?
(Original post by Charlotte LG)
Hello, what did you do to prepare for Y13 during the summer of Y12?
hey! For my design subject I spent a bit of time each day redoing bits of my coursework to refine my artwork and ensure that it was the best it could be. I only spent 3-4 hours a day over a course of 2 weeks at the beginning of the hols so it didn't feel like I had been working on it all summer. For history I did something similar again, where I spent a couple of hours a day for a week or two to gather all of the information and research I needed for my coursework, as well as catching up on my notes. For English I simply read the texts I knew we'd be studying for A2 (I just did that near the end though tbh) This helped me so much even though at the time I was v demotivated. Because I had been consistently taking little steps I found that I was actually ahead of most people, which meant that I could afford to relax a bit more. My ultimate advice would be to not give yourself too much to do this summer, but maybe have a few goals on what you can steadily do to help you in the long run. You'll love yourself for it later!
Leena_a123
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

I study Edexcel B economics, Edexcel history and aqua psychology
CinnamonSmol
Rep:
?
(Original post by Leena_a123)
I study Edexcel B economics, Edexcel history and aqua psychology
oooh what periods of history do you study?
Leena_a123
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
USA and transformation of Britain
oooh what periods of history do you study?
Charlotte LG
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Awesome, thank you 😊
hey! For my design subject I spent a bit of time each day redoing bits of my coursework to refine my artwork and ensure that it was the best it could be. I only spent 3-4 hours a day over a course of 2 weeks at the beginning of the hols so it didn't feel like I had been working on it all summer. For history I did something similar again, where I spent a couple of hours a day for a week or two to gather all of the information and research I needed for my coursework, as well as catching up on my notes. For English I simply read the texts I knew we'd be studying for A2 (I just did that near the end though tbh) This helped me so much even though at the time I was v demotivated. Because I had been consistently taking little steps I found that I was actually ahead of most people, which meant that I could afford to relax a bit more. My ultimate advice would be to not give yourself too much to do this summer, but maybe have a few goals on what you can steadily do to help you in the long run. You'll love yourself for it later!
GreenCub
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, what's up

Which subjects do you take? I take Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics.
Most favourite? Further Maths, especially the pure topics (but not decision).
Least favourite? I love all my subjects, but the A level Physics course is rather dry, light on mathematical content, and overly focused on experiments and uncertainties. It's a bit of a shame that the course is like that, as physics is extremely interesting in general (especially the theoretical stuff).
How did you find Year 12? I started Year 12 thinking I would have to do an insane amount of work and have to spend every single evening going over notes and doing extra reading for all my subjects. This fortunately turned out not to be the case. I think I should have made more use of the free time I had towards the beginning of year 12 as now I'm caught up with university applications and preparation.
Are there any habits you want to continue/start/get rid of? I'll need to get into the habit of doing proper revision - I usually find I understand things quite quickly in lessons but if I don't go over a topic for several months I might forget how to do it. I generally hate revising so I'll have to find some way of getting more motivated.
Summarise this year in one word: I have no idea...
Summer plans: Mostly relaxing, but I also have to write my PS and do maths admissions test and interview prep which takes quite a lot of time. I'm considering building a gaming PC and learning to drive.
RavenclawOwl
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This is a great idea for a thread, was trying to find something like this the other day for motivation!

Maths, Further Maths, English Lit and Psychology

Loved Maths (finished it now) and have enjoyed further maths so far. Least fav is defo psychology but I still enjoy the content, lessons are just a bit slow.

Not as bad as I expected, I didn't struggle with work or anything. Mental health problems made it tough though.

Try to keep focused on my mental health I guess. Quite happy with how I handled this year so I'll probably follow similar habits.

Taxing

Get my Maths A Level result, chill a bit, tackle my monstrous to-do list!
CinnamonSmol
Rep:
?
Hey It's great that you love your subjects, it'll make it easier to want to revise later on. My advice would be to not be too hard on yourself for not doing as much as you feel you should have at the beginning of year 12 since you were just finding your feet a-levels are hard but its all about what you do with your time rather than how many hours you spend. :rolleyes: Also, when you say you're building a PC...do you mean from scratch??? either way that sounds so technical and fancy, I'm v impressed
(Original post by GreenCub)
Hi, what's up

Which subjects do you take? I take Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics.
Most favourite? Further Maths, especially the pure topics (but not decision).
Least favourite? I love all my subjects, but the A level Physics course is rather dry, light on mathematical content, and overly focused on experiments and uncertainties. It's a bit of a shame that the course is like that, as physics is extremely interesting in general (especially the theoretical stuff).
How did you find Year 12? I started Year 12 thinking I would have to do an insane amount of work and have to spend every single evening going over notes and doing extra reading for all my subjects. This fortunately turned out not to be the case. I think I should have made more use of the free time I had towards the beginning of year 12 as now I'm caught up with university applications and preparation.
Are there any habits you want to continue/start/get rid of? I'll need to get into the habit of doing proper revision - I usually find I understand things quite quickly in lessons but if I don't go over a topic for several months I might forget how to do it. I generally hate revising so I'll have to find some way of getting more motivated.
Summarise this year in one word: I have no idea...
Summer plans: Mostly relaxing, but I also have to write my PS and do maths admissions test and interview prep which takes quite a lot of time. I'm considering building a gaming PC and learning to drive.
GreenCub
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey It's great that you love your subjects, it'll make it easier to want to revise later on. My advice would be to not be too hard on yourself for not doing as much as you feel you should have at the beginning of year 12 since you were just finding your feet a-levels are hard but its all about what you do with your time rather than how many hours you spend. :rolleyes: Also, when you say you're building a PC...do you mean from scratch??? either way that sounds so technical and fancy, I'm v impressed
Thanks. I do love all my subjects but the A level revision is far less interesting than the extra stuff I'm looking at.

When you build a PC you effectively need to buy all the components (processor, graphics card, RAM, hard drive etc) separately and put them together inside the case, so it is more or less from scratch.
neko no basu
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hiiiii
Which subjects do you take? History, geography, English and an EPQ
Most and least favourite? Favourite subject - history (although I prefer geography lessons over history) Least favourite - EPQ
How did you find Year 12? Came and went really quickly!
Did anything surprise you? workload was not as much as I thought it was
Any regrets? EPQ - should have chosen a different question and done more research earlier
Are there any habits you want to continue/start/get rid of for next year? LESS PROCRASTINATION!!
Summarise this year in 1 word. manageable
What are your summer plans? Holiday, studying, netflix and chilling? Staying at home and resting, lots of extra reading for personal statement, coursework, coursework, coursework and coursework
CinnamonSmol
Rep:
?
What's your title for EPQ? What subjects are you covering in English and History? I'm surprised you mentioned History as your favourite, I found that me, as well as most students loved learning about History but hated the actual course
(Original post by neko no basu)
Hiiiii
Which subjects do you take? History, geography, English and an EPQ
Most and least favourite? Favourite subject - history (although I prefer geography lessons over history) Least favourite - EPQ
How did you find Year 12? Came and went really quickly!
Did anything surprise you? workload was not as much as I thought it was
Any regrets? EPQ - should have chosen a different question and done more research earlier
Are there any habits you want to continue/start/get rid of for next year? LESS PROCRASTINATION!!
Summarise this year in 1 word. manageable
What are your summer plans? Holiday, studying, netflix and chilling? Staying at home and resting, lots of extra reading for personal statement, coursework, coursework, coursework and coursework
Aseebt
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Maths, Physics and Computer Science

Most - Maths
Least - Computer Science

The workload, in comparison to year 11/secondary in general, I spent the majority of my days revising/studying during year 12. I started paying extra attention in class halfway through the year cos I didn't wanna have to go over a new topic trying to understand it at home.

I'm gonna spend less time chilling during my frees, in year 12 I spent my frees mostly doing homework and chilling if I didn't have any, but I'm gonna spend all but one of my frees a week studying/revising.

Stressful

Netflix, gaming and chilling in general. I've applied to a **** ton of jobs but I'm waiting on replies, oh and I've started revising today, which I'll continue to do until the end of the holidays.
jerryr03
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by liam.ro)
For anyone interested in discussion or questions, I'm a Year 12 student taking AQA Chemistry and Biology, and Edexcel Maths and Further Maths. I'm also native in Japanese, though I've still never come across anyone on TSR who needs help with A Level Japanese. I'll mainly be revising for my UCAT scheduled for the end of August.

Feel free to ask me anything!
Hey! I'm doing the new Japanese A level exam next year and the amount of kanji I need to learn is killing me there is about 60 new kanji in the new syllabus and I have to analyse a book and a film. There are so many key words with extra kanji that I have to learn too! I wish I could've done the previous syllabus
liam.ro
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jerryr03)
Hey! I'm doing the new Japanese A level exam next year and the amount of kanji I need to learn is killing me there is about 60 new kanji in the new syllabus and I have to analyse a book and a film. There are so many key words with extra kanji that I have to learn too! I wish I could've done the previous syllabus
From my personal experience, the easiest way to learn Japanese (or any language for that matter) is trying to incorporate the language into your daily life and environment, i.e. watching Japanese TV shows/anime (most have subtitles), going to Japanese food shops, etc.. In the specific case of kanji, the way people learn it best varies. Some people prefer understanding their etymologies to grasp their individual meanings, whilst others find it easier to see how it's used in words and phrases.
neko no basu
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What's your title for EPQ? What subjects are you covering in English and History? I'm surprised you mentioned History as your favourite, I found that me, as well as most students loved learning about History but hated the actual course
What's your title for EPQ? So my EPQ is based on the political events happening in Hong Kong throughout the past 16 years and I'm going to be talking about how successful pro-democracy groups have been in trying to prevent greater control by the communist central government of China. In hindsight, I definitely would not have chosen to do my EPQ on such a topical and fast-changing topic as that's meant that I always have to keep my eyes on the news and sometimes there's some really drastic changes that completely steers your understanding of the topic in a different direction.

What subjects are you covering in English and history? For Shakespeare, we're doing 'The Tempest' which has probably been my favourite part of the course. Then poetry, we're doing Rossetti but I hate poetry with passion because I struggle so much with it. Then I'm studying gothic literature and we've studied Iain Bank's 'The Wasp Factory', Angela Carter 'The Bloody Chamber' and in September we're starting 'Frankenstein'. In history, we've studied the cold war in Europe, the Early Tudors and we've started civil rights in America.

I think I'd actually kind of agree with you about what you said on how most people loved learning history but hated the actual course. My course is alright to be honest, could be worse, could be better. The topics we're studying aren't really topics that I'm passionate about but I think that as time goes on, you get used to it and you actually start enjoying the course. That being said, I really hated this particular part of the early Tudors that looked at socio-economic reforms under Edward and Mary's reign - just not the sort of history that I'd be motivated to learn more about.

P.S sorry for such a long reply
CinnamonSmol
Rep:
?
that sounds like a v interesting and unique EPQ title -which is good as it means your marker is more likely to be impressed good luck! I remember my EPQ days...….that production log was v v long For history I studied Stuarts (1603 - 1702) so just after your time period. Tudors is quite a popular course so you'll have a lot of post-exam memes to enjoy once you're done I was exactly how you felt during my history course,, but near the end once it all clicks into place, you get into the habit of learning the content and it almost feels sort of fun to revise?? I weirdly miss revision tbh...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (26)
6.6%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (230)
58.38%
No (138)
35.03%

Watched Threads