[Golden Thread] University Students: What are things you wish you knew? Watch

CinnamonSmol
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Academically, socially, mentally. What surprises and regrets did you face when coming to uni that you didn't expect?

This is a golden thread. Join in with this discussion before 31st August 2019 to be in with a chance of winning an Amazon Voucher!! :woo:

The more threads you post in, the higher chance you have of winning! This year's golden threads are listed below :yep:

Golden Threads 2019You can post in all of the other golden threads using the following links
1 - Post a gif/meme about results day
2 - Dear Teacher
3 - Fast Food/Restaurant Chain Hurt/Heal
4 - If you changed your TSR username - what would you change it to and why?
5 - What are your favourite memories of University?
6 - Top tips for dealing with stress/upcoming plans
7 - If you had to read one book which would it be
8 - Guess what is here and win it!
9 - University Students: What did you wish you knew?
10 - Which animal do you most relate to?
Last edited by CheeseIsVeg; 2 weeks ago
Noodlzzz
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
From big fish in small pond to little fish in a very large pond
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I wish I was prepared for how hard the first month is, you're making friends and going out and meeting all these new people yet somehow there's still a strong sense of loneliness.

I know that it goes away eventually, I just wished I was prepared for it.
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Wish i knew exactly what you actually needed to get a first in coursework from day one.

Messing up exams didn't hurt nearly as bad as that first coursework mark... That 45 really had me questioning if i was mentally challenged and who let me into a RG.
Lkathryn08
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Throw yourself into everything at the beginning. Try everything you think might interest you. It will keep you busy and will make it far easier to make new friends and integrate yourself into university life. join a society or sport!!!!!
SAPPHIRE368
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If u are living with someone , get to know them before u move in and if u think you might not be able to adjust w them , move out asap instead of letting that interfere w your academics .
CheeseIsVeg
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Use and abuse first year to try societies out :ninja: year 2 gets serious quickly and time runs away from you :whip:
Go try it all in first year whilst you can be cheeky about your time usage :giggle:
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Keep on top of lecture notes and coursework from the start - it can seem like a chore, but it will save you a lot of pain and effort down the line
MWills99
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Make an effort to attend lectures/seminars, it's much easier to retain the information than watching it back later.
vicvic38
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I wish I'd just thrown myself into more things earlier on. I can be quite anxious, so I sometimes ignore opportunities as they stress me out. However, about half way through the year, I just started saying yes to everything. It was the best decision ever.

I became president of a society, which was something I was worried about because there were a lot of things to do that I'd never done before, but I decided I could just learn it as I go. It was an excellent decision.

It helped me learn that everyone is just muddling along and learning as they go.
CinnamonSmol
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by vicvic38)
I wish I'd just thrown myself into more things earlier on. I can be quite anxious, so I sometimes ignore opportunities as they stress me out. However, about half way through the year, I just started saying yes to everything. It was the best decision ever.

I became president of a society, which was something I was worried about because there were a lot of things to do that I'd never done before, but I decided I could just learn it as I go. It was an excellent decision.

It helped me learn that everyone is just muddling along and learning as they go.
That's something I know I'll need to keep reminding myself -that everyones in the same position and everyones just trying to fake it until they make it :rolleyes: I love how you've developed from being too anxious to involve yourself to becoming president of a society what society are you president of and what do you have to do?
vicvic38
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I wasn't going to reveal exactly who I was, but heck. I'm current president of the Oxford Doctor Who society. I have to contact speakers, book rooms, present the termly Geek Quiz and run our Thursday meetings, along with helping to run our stall at the freshers fair. It's the interaction with systems that I hadn't looked at before that spooked me a bit, but I've managed to get it to mostly work, haha.
(Original post by CinnamonSmol)
That's something I know I'll need to keep reminding myself -that everyones in the same position and everyones just trying to fake it until they make it :rolleyes: I love how you've developed from being too anxious to involve yourself to becoming president of a society what society are you president of and what do you have to do?
EstelOfTheEyrie
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
That having fewer contact hours as a Humanities student sucks. Especially as someone who gets bored easily, I fell badly into just spending all my free time in my room - and at the beginning it really put damper on how well I was settling into uni.

If I just left my room and actually made an effort in the first two weeks I wouldn't have considered dropping out so early on.
wonderland.16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I wish I had acknowledged earlier on that it's okay to be quieter, to not go out all the time (or at all) and that being overwhelmed sometimes is okay, as long as it is handled appropriately.

Also wish I had realised sooner that the catered halls food *in my uni* was not going to improve in quality, and to avoid broccoli (and the food in general) completely
Last edited by wonderland.16; 3 weeks ago
readingbooks
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
What is wrong with the catered halls food???
(Original post by wonderland.16)
I wish I had acknowledged earlier on that it's okay to be quieter, to not go out all the time (or at all) and that being overwhelmed sometimes is okay, as long as it is handled appropriately.

Also wish I had realised sooner that the catered halls food was never going to be good, and to avoid broccoli (and the food in general) completely
wonderland.16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
My uni is largely underfunded (which is clear and evidenced in many areas), which is reflected in the food. It's your typical cheap, bulk cooking, but I can't remember a time when I actually finished a meal due to the quality unfortunately. Breakfast was always okay, dinner was when it wasn't so great. I know this is very different in each uni though so don't let it put you off
(Original post by readingbooks)
What is wrong with the catered halls food???
TheTroll73
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
even if you go to cambridge, other uni students are still likely idiots (no offense)
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Do the reading.

It really is that simple but it took me until my 2nd year to realise this.
desou
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Uni is your best ever chance to reinvent yourself. Become a better version of yourself. Pick the stuff you like about yourself and play it up. Pick the stuff you don't like and stop doing it.

Just because you were sad/lonely/unhappy at school doesn't mean it has to be the same at uni. This is a fresh start. Make a few small behavioural changes, and people will see you and treat you differently.

Overcommit yourself in your first year. You can always scale back later on. Its better to have too much on than too little. Join at least one sports club - it'll keep you fit and improve your mood.

Spend as little time in your room as possible. If you're bored, go knock on your housemates doors and see what they're doing. They won't mind.

Every time you think about saying no to an offer, say yes instead. (unless its hard drugs). If you do have to say no, say it with a smile, explain why, and a promise to join in next time.

Be open-minded. Try things (except hard drugs). You might surprise yourself.

Avoid procrastination at all costs. Either work, or don't work. Better to work hard for an hour then go out, rather than spend three hours achieving nothing..

Everyone else is blagging it too. They're also all equally lonely and slightly intimidated. Be sympathetic, try to put yourself in their shoes.
Other_Owl
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
That could you study at one point study at an EU university and get "charged" the domestic fees. All the courses are in English. Go to Denmark for free or go to the Netherlands for £1,500.
Wish I actually done this in 2014. 😑
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Keele University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Aug '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (66)
17.74%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (235)
63.17%
Not yet but I am planning to (19)
5.11%
Not yet but I might (52)
13.98%

Watched Threads