Theory test before practical Watch

almondtitan3152
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I was planning to complete my theory test before my A level results day which is on the 15th of August so it will be a good couple of weeks for revision, regarding my practical , I'm not going to prioritise this atl east for another couple of months maybe? just because of how expensive it seems? I heard you need around 10-15 lessons- do you think doing theory test way before the practical won't be a good idea? because one benefit is that I get theory over and done with and i'm not doing anything productive during my holidays- or is it better to do the theory and practical together- the biggest concern is that will I forget my theory when it comes to doing my practical test
Last edited by almondtitan3152; 4 weeks ago
Cazemma
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Once you have past your theory you have 2 years to then pass your practical. It's not a good idea to do the close together incase u don't pass the theory and end up having to delay your practical. you dont need lessons for the theory, get a dvsa approved app to learn and practice. and unless you have driven before, or used to road because of motorbike licence, you will need more like 30 hours lessons for the practical!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
almondtitan3152
Rep:
?
Yeah I know about the 2 year rule I've searched that online, so doing the theory way before the practical isn't such a bad idea then?
(Original post by Cazemma)
Once you have past your theory you have 2 years to then pass your practical. It's not a good idea to do the close together incase u don't pass the theory and end up having to delay your practical. you dont need lessons for the theory, get a dvsa approved app to learn and practice. and unless you have driven before, or used to road because of motorbike licence, you will need more like 30 hours lessons for the practical!
Cazemma
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by almondtitan3152)
Yeah I know about the 2 year rule I've searched that online, so doing the theory way before the practical isn't such a bad idea then?
No. if you do need to resit the theory you will probably have to wait at least 3 weeks for the next available test, if your having lessons at that point and waiting to sit your practical you will end up paying more for lessons in between times. the questions you will get on your driving test are more show me yell me questions about the car. your instructor will go through all that with you so don't worry about not being able to remember every little thing you did in theory test
ohhello92x
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You’d need to do your theory test way before you sit your practical test. What if the worst comes to the worst and you fail your theory and the next sitting isn’t for another few months? That would mean having to push back your practical!

I did my theory 6/7 months before I did my practical and passed the theory first time. From personal experience it’s better to have the time to revise for the theory and not rush it. I used the theory book and an app for revision. And also as well, it will give you more time in learning to drive and getting up to test standard (would also suggest doing a mock test nearer the time to your practical, did a mock a week before I passed, and I passed the mock which boosted my confidence).
almondtitan3152
Rep:
?
Ok that sounds good, in terms of apps and what to use, i was planning on purchasing the official DVLA app for £15 for a months access where i get all the videos and mocks including my data in which it would store how much I've completed and my scores, do you think that isn't needed and only the 4.99 app? or is there anything else im missing? Thanks for the comment though- think ill start my theory and hopefully finish it buy my Results day
(Original post by ohhello92x)
You’d need to do your theory test way before you sit your practical test. What if the worst comes to the worst and you fail your theory and the next sitting isn’t for another few months? That would mean having to push back your practical!

I did my theory 6/7 months before I did my practical and passed the theory first time. From personal experience it’s better to have the time to revise for the theory and not rush it. I used the theory book and an app for revision. And also as well, it will give you more time in learning to drive and getting up to test standard (would also suggest doing a mock test nearer the time to your practical, did a mock a week before I passed, and I passed the mock which boosted my confidence).
ohhello92x
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by almondtitan3152)
Ok that sounds good, in terms of apps and what to use, i was planning on purchasing the official DVLA app for £15 for a months access where i get all the videos and mocks including my data in which it would store how much I've completed and my scores, do you think that isn't needed and only the 4.99 app? or is there anything else im missing? Thanks for the comment though- think ill start my theory and hopefully finish it buy my Results day
Personally I think that’s a bit much to pay for an app. I used an app called theory test pro which had both multiple choice and the hazard perception mock tests in. I think I paid something like £2.99 to get it all unlocked (can’t remember with that now, it’s been a few years lol). But it’s up to you really
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.41%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (70)
15.52%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (86)
19.07%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (181)
40.13%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.66%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.21%