The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Queen Mary vs Loughborough comp science and maths

have my firm as qmu London and insurance as Loughborough looking at latest guardian list LU is scoring high vs qmu but its not RGroup
Can someone guide me I am confused whether to switch ?
Original post by Emailsfornk
have my firm as qmu London and insurance as Loughborough looking at latest guardian list LU is scoring high vs qmu but its not RGroup
Can someone guide me I am confused whether to switch ?

Hi Emailsfornk

In my opinion, you can't choose a uni based solely on ranking or whether they are RG or not. Loughborough are ranked higher than 21 out of the 24 RG unis, doesn't mean it's the right place for you.
You need to compare the courses, look at the location, the accommodation on offer, the employability, the student experience etc etc. All of these together should help you decide which uni you want to go to. Rankings is a good starting point, but not the only reason to choose a university.

Hope that helps :smile:
Vicky
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
As Vicky says, RG is not everything - it is more to do with research anyway which will not affect you much as an undergraduate. League tables can also be confusing since they all measure different things - the Guardian one is more focussed on student satisfaction than some of the others and unis in London tend not to get particularly high scores for that due to the high cost of living, etc.

At the end of the day, they're both good unis so it doesn't really matter which one you pick in terms of prestige. It should be more to do with which one has the better course, or which environment you think you will be happier in - Loughborough or London. If you visited them both, you will know that they are very different unis but I wouldn't say that one or the other is "better"
Reply 3
Thank you Vicky I totally agree the doubts in my mind spin from the fact the one uni is based in London vs outside the employment hub
From a course perspective the course and all other items are much better in Loughborough including student support etc
More so LU is not Russel group but in some ways better that RG universities
Original post by Loughborough University
Hi Emailsfornk

In my opinion, you can't choose a uni based solely on ranking or whether they are RG or not. Loughborough are ranked higher than 21 out of the 24 RG unis, doesn't mean it's the right place for you.
You need to compare the courses, look at the location, the accommodation on offer, the employability, the student experience etc etc. All of these together should help you decide which uni you want to go to. Rankings is a good starting point, but not the only reason to choose a university.

Hope that helps :smile:
Vicky

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending