Help with Personal Statement! Watch

Josh5718
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi I’m applying to study English Literature and Spanish ab initio at Universities like Birmingham and Exeter.

I’m finding it difficult to think of ways show in my personal statement that these two subjects can be taught together and is why they have been put together in the first place.

I’m structuring my personal statement in terms of my 4 interests...

- dystopian literature
- presentation of class
- language
- Hispanic culture/history (which isn’t a particular interest of mine because I don’t know much about it yet but in the course this is an integrated focus with the language learning)

Can anyone give me advice of how to do this? I intend to talk about some of these books: Vox, Handmaids Tale, 1984, Hunger Games, We (dystopian) and Paula and Requiem por un (Hispanic literature I’ve read). I’m also going to include talk about some Irish and Spanish poetry I’ve read e.g. Seamus heaney or yeats maybe and Lorca.
Jewelzela
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I think maybe have a good think about why YOU want to study the two together; the spanish poetry is a good example. I think if you aren't applying to oxbridge you don't need to mention as many books as you have indicated, and you will definetly find yourself with too many words. Take it from someone who has written 2 sets of personal statements (one for undergrad and one for postgrad) appearing enthusiastic and willing to learn is better than looking like you know it all already. Pick a few key things which showcase your serious interest in the subjects, and why you are passionate about studying them individualy and together.
Josh5718
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Thank you!! You mentioned the poetry and that’s sparked a good idea in my mind.
(Original post by Jewelzela)
I think maybe have a good think about why YOU want to study the two together; the spanish poetry is a good example. I think if you aren't applying to oxbridge you don't need to mention as many books as you have indicated, and you will definetly find yourself with too many words. Take it from someone who has written 2 sets of personal statements (one for undergrad and one for postgrad) appearing enthusiastic and willing to learn is better than looking like you know it all already. Pick a few key things which showcase your serious interest in the subjects, and why you are passionate about studying them individualy and together.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (40)
13.56%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (45)
15.25%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (54)
18.31%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (120)
40.68%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (16)
5.42%
No particular grades needed (20)
6.78%