Can't start studying without sugar/caffeine Watch

Snarlie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi there!

I have a problem which I can't figure out. I can't start studying without first drinking an energy drink or a soda; I need both sugar and caffeine!

My problem started 2 years ago. I was studying, going to classes etc, and I was still failing. After some time, I started losing inner motivation to study. I've always eaten candy or some form of sugar while and before studying. I noticed that the sugar rush really pushed me on, and I know, after sugar rush there is a sugar crash, which is when I usually took my breaks. Then I noticed that some people drink energy drinks while studying, even though they are fully awake. Caffeine made them more motivated, energized. So off course, for me, being already addicted to sugar, this seemed like a perfect choice: sugar and caffeine working side by side to make my grades better.

Well, it worked! I was highly productive while drinking multiple energy drinks a day during high intensity study periods. Fast forward 2 years later and here I am, in a pile of ****, looking for a way out. When studying in group, I usually dont need anything to keep me motivated. When studying alone, I have to open an energy drink before I study. If I don't, I have little to no motivation, or even energy to study. I work really slow, and I'm basicly being unproductive. The problem is that I don't think that it is just a biological need by this point, but also psychological. Opening up an energy drink seems to be a kind of ritual for me that tells my mind to start studying. It would be okay, if I was depended on something more healthy. I've gained a lot of weight, and also have problems with digestion.

My questions for you guys are:
What do you do to feel energized and motivated before/while studying?
With what should I replace sugar/caffeine in form of energy drinks with?
What are you opening study rituals, which let you prepare psychologically for studying or also force you into studying?

I really hope I get some help here. I'm out of options. I'm not doing well, I'm not mentally okay and my body feels like ****. Thank you for reading this.

Sebastjan
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Snarlie)
Hi there!

I have a problem which I can't figure out. I can't start studying without first drinking an energy drink or a soda; I need both sugar and caffeine!

My problem started 2 years ago. I was studying, going to classes etc, and I was still failing. After some time, I started losing inner motivation to study. I've always eaten candy or some form of sugar while and before studying. I noticed that the sugar rush really pushed me on, and I know, after sugar rush there is a sugar crash, which is when I usually took my breaks. Then I noticed that some people drink energy drinks while studying, even though they are fully awake. Caffeine made them more motivated, energized. So off course, for me, being already addicted to sugar, this seemed like a perfect choice: sugar and caffeine working side by side to make my grades better.

Well, it worked! I was highly productive while drinking multiple energy drinks a day during high intensity study periods. Fast forward 2 years later and here I am, in a pile of ****, looking for a way out. When studying in group, I usually dont need anything to keep me motivated. When studying alone, I have to open an energy drink before I study. If I don't, I have little to no motivation, or even energy to study. I work really slow, and I'm basicly being unproductive. The problem is that I don't think that it is just a biological need by this point, but also psychological. Opening up an energy drink seems to be a kind of ritual for me that tells my mind to start studying. It would be okay, if I was depended on something more healthy. I've gained a lot of weight, and also have problems with digestion.

My questions for you guys are:
What are you opening study rituals, which let you prepare psychologically for studying or also force you into studying?

I really hope I get some help here. I'm out of options. I'm not doing well, I'm not mentally okay and my body feels like ****. Thank you for reading this.

Sebastjan
You ve two options go cold turkey (something I had to do ) or decrease slowly, try caffeine free sugar free coke (gold bottle) it tastes almost the same and dry fruit is a good alternative.
Snarlie
Rep:
?
Didn't expect a reply so quickly. After you went cold turkey, how long did it affect your studying? How was it like first couple of studying sessions? what do you do now or eat now before studying? Thank you for the answer!
(Original post by claireestelle)
You ve two options go cold turkey (something I had to do ) or decrease slowly, try caffeine free sugar free coke (gold bottle) it tastes almost the same and dry fruit is a good alternative.
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
How much sleep are you getting?
Snarlie
Rep:
?
Enough, most nights 8 hours. I really think the effect now became mostly psychological. I somehow connected studying and drinking energy drinks in my mind. I'm basicly asking for another healthier addiction. Thank you for the response!
marinade
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I don't feel energized and motivated before/while studying. Like many people I feel very groggy and lethargic, especially in the morning, which is shocking for me. Sometimes this is how you sleep, sometimes the very horrid summer weather very muggy and sweaty just makes you feel meh. Sometimes it's bright and fresh and you don't feel too bad. You somehow shuffle your way out of bed as early as possible, catapault yourself out of the house, feel fresh air on you, trudge to where you study and get on it. After making a bit of progress the dopamine hits, then you can normally carry on. If you get that buzz early enough hyperfocus comes in and you can sometimes work productively for hours, before spending hours/days unproductively trying to get into a productive place. Then spend hours/days beating yourself up until the next hyperfocus comes.

Could replace sugar with other healthier snacks. I'd try and cut out the sugar completely.

My study rituals are going to a quiet and decluttered clean and tidy place to study.
sknudson
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It sounds like you know your body needs a break from the caffeine. Yes, there will be negative impacts on your studying for awhile as the chemicals work their way out (total elimination of one can of Monster is roughly 3.5 days increased according to however many tins you knock back on a regular day). Expect to be fuzzy for about a week and sharpness should gradually come back after that point. Better sleep should be noticeable after a couple days, which in itself will improve performance.

If you can't handle the withdrawal, then yerba mate is a nice bridge to wean off of it. Holland and Barrett stocks it in tea bags.
marinade
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I gave up caffeine for a month. Tea and all other sources of caffeine too like chocolate and ice cream.

The supposed overall benefits in sharpness never came. I did find as a lot of sleep hygiene and other research suggests I could cope fine in the morning without a massive shot of caffeine and felt about the same alertness wide. In the evening I was more drowsy and I really hated this as this is my more naturally productive time. Sleep improved a little bit, but not as much as I thought it would.
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Didn't expect a reply so quickly. After you went cold turkey, how long did it affect your studying? How was it like first couple of studying sessions? what do you do now or eat now before studying? Thank you for the answer!
I wasn't doing much studying at the time, the first few days were horrendous as it was like withdrawal symptoms but after that I just had a decaf tea or coffee whilst I studied. Sugar is the one thing I haven't given up so still had biscuits. I d say two weeks caffeine free and I fully adapted
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (220)
12.45%
Excited (166)
9.39%
Worried (308)
17.43%
Terrified (389)
22.01%
Meh (184)
10.41%
Confused (39)
2.21%