The Student Room Group

What are standardised Instructions?

hey,

well as the title says really. I know ive done this before but i cant remember or find any of my work on them lol.

Anyone help??

Thanks in advance
Reply 1
It just means that you have a set of instructions that are applied to each participant exactly. it stops any variations that could cause experimenter bias etc :biggrin:
Reply 2
can you give me an example? lol, sorry
Echoing the above post... a set of instructions that are accurate and given in exactly the same way to each participant to avoid variations which could potentially disrupt the nature or results of the experiment :smile: Yay for A-Level Psych!!!
EDIT: Participant #1 is read the following statement: "Please sit back on the chair, cross your legs, pick up the paper, read and then tell me about the language"
Participant #2 is read the following statement: "Please sit back on the chair, cross your legs, pick up the paper, read and then tell me about the language"

"Please sit back on the chair, cross your legs, pick up the paper, read and then tell me about the language" is the standardised instruction :smile:
Reply 5
EDIT - No point doing another set when the above one is far superior :biggrin:

Just a set of instructions on how the construct the experiment that's applied to each participant :smile:
Charlurr
EDIT - No point doing another set when the above one is far superior :biggrin:

Just a set of instructions on how the construct the experiment that's applied to each participant :smile:

Haha, thankyou, just chuffed I can remember some of the Psych i learnt a couple of years ago :smile: [I echoed your first definition anyway, so therefore your definition was superior to mine!]
Reply 7
haha thanks you two :biggrin: Are the instructions literally just for before the experiment starts?

Also, another question. For my A2 coursework, im examining whether gender affects memory, so im gettin people to watch this advert and then im asking them a questionnaire, like... what was the main colour of the saucepan in the microwave? do you think i should leave them open or should i do multichoice?

Edit: Should I put the questions in order of appearence or should i jumble them?

Thanks for your help, you're stars :biggrin:
x Kelly
haha thanks you two :biggrin: Are the instructions literally just for before the experiment starts?

Also, another question. For my A2 coursework, im examining whether gender affects memory, so im gettin people to watch this advert and then im asking them a questionnaire, like... what was the main colour of the saucepan in the microwave? do you think i should leave them open or should i do multichoice?

Edit: Should I put the questions in order of appearence or should i jumble them?

Thanks for your help, you're stars :biggrin:

You can have a standardised set of instructions at the start, because INSTRUCTING is telling the participants what to do... and also a standardised debrief at the end, which is a short speech at the end of your experiment which thanks the participant and explains what the experiment was about.

Depends if you want to influence their opinion, I think you'd get more accurate results if you left the questions open-ended, if you give them a choice they'll be more likely to answer correctly as it's helping them recall the correct answer...

Jumble the questions, this way you're testing the memory more as the questions don't follow the chronology of the advert.

Hope this helps!!
Reply 9
Original post by Girl&#9829
You can have a standardised set of instructions at the start, because INSTRUCTING is telling the participants what to do... and also a standardised debrief at the end, which is a short speech at the end of your experiment which thanks the participant and explains what the experiment was about.

Depends if you want to influence their opinion, I think you'd get more accurate results if you left the questions open-ended, if you give them a choice they'll be more likely to answer correctly as it's helping them recall the correct answer...

Jumble the questions, this way you're testing the memory more as the questions don't follow the chronology of the advert.

Hope this helps!!

OMG!!! thank you soooo much, its hard to ask my psychology teacher becuase although we get 4 hours contact time, i'm from a different school that she teaches cos its a joint sixth form and its always really hard to find her.

Are you wanting to be a psychology teacher? you'd make a great one lol

Rep will be on its way tomorrow :biggrin: thank you!!!!
Reply 10
just what you read out before an experiment outlining what its all about :smile:
x Kelly
OMG!!! thank you soooo much, its hard to ask my psychology teacher becuase although we get 4 hours contact time, i'm from a different school that she teaches cos its a joint sixth form and its always really hard to find her.

Are you wanting to be a psychology teacher? you'd make a great one lol

Rep will be on its way tomorrow :biggrin: thank you!!!!

Anytime! :smile: HaHa, Thankyou, No, I'm not wanting to be a psychology teacher =/ Not wanting to be a teacher at all lol but it's a great compliment so Thankyou! - and the rep will be greatly and thankfully received!! :smile:
Standardised instructions is the list of instructions for all participants that is the same for all people.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending