The Student Room Group

Credit cards

I recently turned 18, im planning to work for a year while studying on my own, can i apply for the student credit cards or im i not considered a student?
Original post by Najmo nur
I recently turned 18, im planning to work for a year while studying on my own, can i apply for the student credit cards or im i not considered a student?

No, apply for a normal credit card.
This is seriously not what credit cards are for and this is a fantastic way to enter your adult life trapped in a cycle of high interest debt.
Don't do it.
Only get a credit card when you have the income to support it and only use them as a kind of "advance payment" for things you can definitely afford to pay off when the bill comes. You don't want to start your adult life stuck in a cycle of debt and low credit ratings.
If you get one just use it for small payments and pay it off in full at the end of the month unless it has a 0% period on it, that will help boost your credit history
Reply 5
Thank you this was incredibly helpful, i come from a low income family and money is never talked about, i'm just trying to gain as much information before i get a credit card.
Original post by FolkPixie
Don't do it.
Only get a credit card when you have the income to support it and only use them as a kind of "advance payment" for things you can definitely afford to pay off when the bill comes. You don't want to start your adult life stuck in a cycle of debt and low credit ratings.
Thank you this was incredibly helpful, i come from a low income family and money is never talked about, i'm just trying to gain as much information before i get a credit card.

And this is one of the reasons that “low income” families stay as low income, because they have a tendency to only have access to very expensive lines of credit.

Credit card debt is very expensive, and if you have no income, that debt is going to compound and grow faster than you can pay it. You will gain debt on the debt.

If you live within your means or get a part time job, there is no reason for you to need a credit card.

And this is one of the reasons that “low income” families stay as low income, because they have a tendency to only have access to very expensive lines of credit.

Credit card debt is very expensive, and if you have no income, that debt is going to compound and grow faster than you can pay it. You will gain debt on the debt.

If you live within your means or get a part time job, there is no reason for you to need a credit card.

It’s also a bad point in your life to get one. You’ll be finding new found freedom and be in an environment that encourages you to spend on nights outs. It’s very easy to put it on a credit card as an impulse and worry about it later.

I'm from (and am in) a low income family myself...I've never hada credit card and Im 30 now....a small arranged overdraft at the bank someimes to help me through the last few days before payday.
But the best advice i can give you is to work out what money you receive and what you can afford and then stay within your means as best you can x
lmaooooo her username 😂😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending