PGCE funding Watch

xanderm94
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Im currently doing a masters degree where the official end date is 7/09, my PGCE official start date is 30/08. Due to the 7 day overlap of the courses student finance have said I am unable to get any tuition or maintenance fees for the entire year. Has anyone else encountered this problem?
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
That sounds really annoying. Are you doing a PGCE course that attracts a bursary? If so, would it be enough to live on and pay your fees?

I'd also contact your uni's finance department for advice.
S27
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I would 100% contact SFE, and even potentially contact the university to shift forward the end date. This seems totally unreasonable.
xanderm94
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I am, but how the fees are structured and need to be paid by it wouldn't be feasible to live and pay the fees with.

The responses I've had from the university are "surely this has happened before and can be worked out" they are looking into it but I've had no concrete reassurance it will be.
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
That sounds really annoying. Are you doing a PGCE course that attracts a bursary? If so, would it be enough to live on and pay your fees?

I'd also contact your uni's finance department for advice.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by xanderm94)
I am, but how the fees are structured and need to be paid by it wouldn't be feasible to live and pay the fees with.

The responses I've had from the university are "surely this has happened before and can be worked out" they are looking into it but I've had no concrete reassurance it will be.
I've know people who've negotiated their fees payments so they can pay them out of the bursary- e.g. paying a smaller amount on a monthly basis, so it may be possible to come to an agreement with the uni.

Is it the same uni you're doing your PGCE at as you're doing your masters at?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (209)
12.75%
Excited (146)
8.91%
Worried (296)
18.06%
Terrified (370)
22.57%
Meh (151)
9.21%
Confused (36)
2.2%
Putting on a brave face (224)
13.67%
Impatient (207)
12.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise