The Student Room Group

Rejected for not having “adaptable skills”?

I got rejected for a job today after the interview last week. I was told that they wanted to pursue candidates with “more adaptable skills” what does this mean exactly? I’m a little disappointed, what do I need to change?
Can you describe the interview and what they said during it?

I'm inclined to think it's a generic response and that they didn't think you fit the company culture (it's common).
They’re looking for versatile people who can change their way of working in different situations.
Maybe you didn't demonstrate that you had transferable skills (from previous work or education) like: team work, time management, good communication. organisation etc.
They asked pretty typical customer service questions their was nothing weird asked in the interview pretty standard really. What do mean by not fitting into “company culture”?. So should I change my CV then?
Original post by DuckDodgers
Can you describe the interview and what they said during it?

I'm inclined to think it's a generic response and that they didn't think you fit the company culture (it's common).
Maybe could be, i put them in my CV though and explained them in the interview? Maybe I answered it wrong
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Maybe you didn't demonstrate that you had transferable skills (from previous work or education) like: team work, time management, good communication. organisation etc.
What does that mean? Sorry I don’t understand
Original post by Fermion.
They’re looking for versatile people who can change their way of working in different situations.
Original post by DeesideEwan
I got rejected for a job today after the interview last week. I was told that they wanted to pursue candidates with “more adaptable skills” what does this mean exactly? I’m a little disappointed, what do I need to change?

It may be how you presented yourself during your interview. Perhaps it didn't come across that you are flexible, able to think quickly and respond to different situations, working on your own initiative to solve problems. In turn, the company may have found a candidate who fulfilled what they were looking for and performed better in the interview than you.
Ah okay, so how do I improve my skills then/work on it more so I can be more successful? I’m disappointed but willing to work on changing to make my applications better.
Original post by cheesecakelove
It may be how you presented yourself during your interview. Perhaps it didn't come across that you are flexible, able to think quickly and respond to different situations, working on your own initiative to solve problems. In turn, the company may have found a candidate who fulfilled what they were looking for and performed better in the interview than you.
I kinda feel dumb and stupid for getting rejected as all my friends work their also
It's one job interview, it really doesn't matter. Don't let yourself get disheartened.

It wouldn't be your CV - they liked it enough to invite you for an interview.

Just try to be more confident, fake being bubbly (which I know is the most uncomfortable thing) and whatever.
Guess I need to just get over it then
Original post by anonymous1231231
It's one job interview, it really doesn't matter. Don't let yourself get disheartened.

It wouldn't be your CV - they liked it enough to invite you for an interview.

Just try to be more confident, fake being bubbly (which I know is the most uncomfortable thing) and whatever.
Ah okay, so how do I improve my skills then/work on it more so I can be more successful? I’m disappointed but willing to work on changing to make my applications better.

If you have the skills but aren't displaying them in the interview, then it lies with your interview technique. Look back at your experience and your work history for examples which prove your skills and which meet the job criteria.

Keep applying for job roles - you won't get the first role that you apply for but you may find a company which suits you better or a role that you prefer.
It depends on the position but often interviewers are wondering one simple thing - do I want to work with this person all day?

I've had it go both ways. My flatmate is currently interviewing for his company and he's flat out told me that he puts focus on whether or not he feels the person is a good fit for the team. It's never about their actual skills (and he works in tech!).

It's why you should keep going and don't get disheartened. Interviews are human-based interactions and prone to bias.

Edit: You shouldn't change your CV if it's getting you interviews.
They asked pretty typical customer service questions their was nothing weird asked in the interview pretty standard really. What do mean by not fitting into “company culture”?. So should I change my CV then?
(edited 4 years ago)
So I should just work on my interview technique? Can I apply again their in the future or just don’t bother. I kinda regret not practicing my interview skills before I went for the interview :frown:
If you have the skills but aren't displaying them in the interview, then it lies with your interview technique. Look back at your experience and your work history for examples which prove your skills and which meet the job criteria.

Keep applying for job roles - you won't get the first role that you apply for but you may find a company which suits you better or a role that you prefer.
So I should just keep applying then and trying?
It depends on the position but often interviewers are wondering one simple thing - do I want to work with this person all day?

I've had it go both ways. My flatmate is currently interviewing for his company and he's flat out told me that he puts focus on whether or not he feels the person is a good fit for the team. It's never about their actual skills (and he works in tech!).

It's why you should keep going and don't get disheartened. Interviews are human-based interactions and prone to bias.

Edit: You shouldn't change your CV if it's getting you interviews.
To jobs? Yes absolutely.

The market is a nightmare at current and people will reject you for all kinds of silly reasons. All you can do is keep going.

So I should just keep applying then and trying?
How do I keep the motivation up for job searching it find it tough overtime setbacks?
To jobs? Yes absolutely.

The market is a nightmare at current and people will reject you for all kinds of silly reasons. All you can do is keep going.
So I should just work on my interview technique? Can I apply again their in the future or just don’t bother. I kinda regret not practicing my interview skills before I went for the interview :frown:

Work on all aspects of applications. If you wish, you can reapply to the same company in the future, but don't restrict yourself to that company. Apply to lots of different companies and different roles that interest you. If you do get to the interview stage again, it is a good idea to prepare well for the interview. Prepare a list of possible questions they may ask you and how you would answer. Ask a friend or family member (or a careers advisor if you are university) to give you a mock interview to help you.
I’ve written down and remembered a lot of questions they asked me, should I just keep keep practicing answering the questions? I’ve got in contact with a careers coach for some help with interviews etc, I’ve had help with my CV in the past ...

I’ve started studying now putting in some work 👍
Work on all aspects of applications. If you wish, you can reapply to the same company in the future, but don't restrict yourself to that company. Apply to lots of different companies and different roles that interest you. If you do get to the interview stage again, it is a good idea to prepare well for the interview. Prepare a list of possible questions they may ask you and how you would answer. Ask a friend or family member (or a careers advisor if you are university) to give you a mock interview to help you.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending