Can someone please help me with a roadmap to the second degree rules - STEM Courses?

Watch
mgblue
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi

I really need some clarification on this matter, please. I have a Bsc in Business and HR but due to disability issues, I have been struggling to find a job in the sector - they are all too far for daily journeys or hugely demanding on working hours. So I was now thinking about turning the table upside down and going back to Uni to study a subject that allows me to be self-employed so I can work around my needs instead of the other way around that is been proving very frustrating lately.

So, because I have several years of health background through voluntary work before I become ill I was thinking about following a path around psychology through the following course options mentioned at the end of this post and would like to know if any of the options fall under the exception rule for second degrees tuition fee loan. Don't know if relevant but I will also be claiming DSA. I will be very grateful to anyone that can give me some guidance on this.

Thank you in advance for all your help regarding this matter.

Kind regards,

MGBlue

Anglia Ruskin University

Psychology with Clinical Psychology BSc (Hons) Full-time undergraduate UCAS Code C842, C843

Psychology and Criminology - BSc (Hons) Full-time undergraduate UCAS Code CL8H

University of Essex

Psychology with Cognitive Neuroscience - BSc Full-time undergraduate UCAS Code C808

Sociology with Social Psychology - BSc Full-time undergraduate UCAS Code CL83

Criminology with Social Psychology - - BSc Full-time undergraduate UCAS Code L3C8

Psychosocial and Psychoanalytic Studies - BSc Full-time undergraduate UCAS Code C890

Sociology with Psychosocial Studies - BSc Full-time undergraduate UCAS Code LJC8

OPEN UNIVERSITY

BSc (Honours) Combined STEM - BSc Full-time undergraduate Course Code R28

BSc (Honours) Health Sciences- BSc Full-time undergraduate Course Code Q71

BSc (Honours) Healthcare and Health Science - BSc Full-time undergraduate Course Code Q96

BA (Honours) Social Sciences (Psychology) - BSc Full-time undergraduate Course Code R23

BSc (Honours) Forensic Psychology - BSc Full-time undergraduate Course Code Q82
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mgblue)
Hi

I really need some clarification on this matter, please. I have a Bsc in Business and HR but due to disability issues, I have been struggling to find a job in the sector - they are all too far for daily journeys or hugely demanding on working hours. So I was now thinking about turning the table upside down and going back to Uni to study a subject that allows me to be self-employed so I can work around my needs instead of the other way around that is been proving very frustrating lately.

So, because I have several years of health background through voluntary work before I become ill I was thinking about following a path around psychology through the following course options mentioned at the end of this post and would like to know if any of the options fall under the exception rule for second degrees tuition fee loan. Don't know if relevant but I will also be claiming DSA. I will be very grateful to anyone that can give me some guidance on this.

Kind regards,

MGBlue

Anglia Ruskin University

Psychology with Clinical Psychology BSc (Hons) Full-time undergraduate UCAS Code C842, C843

University of Essex

Psychology with Cognitive Neuroscience - BSc Full-time undergraduate UCAS Code C808

Criminology with Social Psychology - - BSc Full-time undergraduate UCAS Code L3C8

Psychosocial and Psychoanalytic Studies - BSc Full-time undergraduate UCAS Code C890

Sociology with Psychosocial Studies - BSc Full-time undergraduate UCAS Code LJC8

OPEN UNIVERSITY

BSc (Honours) Healthcare and Health Science - BSc Full-time undergraduate Course Code Q96

BA (Honours) Social Sciences (Psychology) - BSc Full-time undergraduate Course Code R23

I m not an expert wholy on the subject but i know it's only part time ones that are covered which open uni is considered as , i was told myself as i m going to be using second stem degree funding to do health sciences is covered, as is combined stem and i believe the rest on your open uni are too, but if you ask open uni then they can tell you for sure.
I m pretty certain none of those brick uni courses could be considered for second degree funding.
DSA is available for second degrees (i also know this as I've just been told I can apply for it).
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
this is OU's list of eligible courses http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/fees-a...qualifications
SFE Nihad
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi

Kind regards,

MGBlue

Anglia Ruskin University

University of Essex

OPEN UNIVERSITY

Hi there,

STEM subjects are only available to part time students.

Medicine and Dentistry
Subjects to Allied Medicine
Biological and Sport Science
Psychology
Veterinary Sciences
Agriculture, Food and Related Sciences
Physical Sciences
General and Others in Sciences
Mathematical Sciences
Engineering and Technology
Computing
Geographical and Environmental Studies

I can look into these courses for you, but can you confirm if you would be interested in part time funding? Can you please confirm -beside the OU- are you looking to study the rest of the courses as Distance Learning too?

Please be aware there are also full time exception courses such as Nursing, Midwifery and Allied Health Profession subjects:

Chiropody
Dietetics
Dietetics and Nutrition (Please note that these courses specifically have both dietetics and nutrition in the title. The individual course nutrition is not a valid AHP course)
Occupational Therapy
Operating Department Practice (Diplomas and Degrees)
Orthoptics
Physiotherapy
Podiatry
Prosthetics and Orthotics
Radiography (diagnostic and therapeutic)
Radiotherapy
Speech and Language Therapy

Regards,
Nihad
mgblue
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi Nihad

Thank you for your reply.
Yes, part-time basis because as far as I am aware none of the STEM courses can be funded by SFE if they are full-time. Or am I wrong? Also, on a part-time basis what are the maximum credits allowed to take each academic year, please?

Regarding the other courses not offered by the OU, they are only offered on campus as far as I am aware. But both universities are close to me so I can manage the travel because I have an adapted car.

Regards,
MGBlue
(Original post by SFE Nihad)
Hi there,

STEM subjects are only available to part time students.

Medicine and Dentistry
Subjects to Allied Medicine
Biological and Sport Science
Psychology
Veterinary Sciences
Agriculture, Food and Related Sciences
Physical Sciences
General and Others in Sciences
Mathematical Sciences
Engineering and Technology
Computing
Geographical and Environmental Studies

I can look into these courses for you, but can you confirm if you would be interested in part time funding? Can you please confirm -beside the OU- are you looking to study the rest of the courses as Distance Learning too?

Please be aware there are also full time exception courses such as Nursing, Midwifery and Allied Health Profession subjects:

Chiropody
Dietetics
Dietetics and Nutrition (Please note that these courses specifically have both dietetics and nutrition in the title. The individual course nutrition is not a valid AHP course)
Occupational Therapy
Operating Department Practice (Diplomas and Degrees)
Orthoptics
Physiotherapy
Podiatry
Prosthetics and Orthotics
Radiography (diagnostic and therapeutic)
Radiotherapy
Speech and Language Therapy

Regards,
Nihad
Erin SFE
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi Nihad

Thank you for your reply.
Yes, part-time basis because as far as I am aware none of the STEM courses can be funded by SFE if they are full-time. Or am I wrong? Also, on a part-time basis what are the maximum credits allowed to take each academic year, please?

Regarding the other courses not offered by the OU, they are only offered on campus as far as I am aware. But both universities are close to me so I can manage the travel because I have an adapted car.

Regards,
MGBlue
Hi there,

Yes STEM courses can only be studied on a part time basis. The maximum amount of credits is 120 each year.

Thanks, Erin
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (19)
30.16%
No - I have already returned home (8)
12.7%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (13)
20.63%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (3)
4.76%
No - I live at home during term anyway (20)
31.75%

Watched Threads