lol.yolo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Does anyone have a list of rural universities in the UK, I'm talking middle of nowhere at best but I could survive a small town.
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lol.yolo)
Does anyone have a list of rural universities in the UK, I'm talking middle of nowhere at best but I could survive a small town.
Warwick & Loughborough unis aren't in the middle of nowhere, but are also not in a city, in smallish towns.

Sutton Bonnington campus at Nottingham is in the middle of nowhere but only a limited number of courses are there.

Maybe the Royal Agricultural uni

found this list of Unis online which seems pretty good, but none of these are 'prestigious' but it depends how much you care about academic reputation
https://universitycompare.com/rankings/rural/
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Aberystwyth
Bangor
The Welsh one at Lampeter
The Royal Agricultural College, Cirencester
harrysbar
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Lancaster is quite rural with a small city (small town really) but good reputation
OddOnes
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nottingham Trent has a campus in Southwell which is literally in a field 14 miles away from Nottingham itself.
TheMagicPaint
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
St Andrews is a small town with fairly rural surrounds. The university is quite posh though, so it depends on whether that's something you would enjoy
Noodlzzz
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Royal Holloway? Egham is pretty small from what I can gather.
lol.yolo
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by mnot)
found this list of Unis online which seems pretty good, but none of these are 'prestigious' but it depends how much you care about academic reputation
I had also found this list but wanted to make sure I had a comprehensive one, and also because my definition of 'rural' may be different to theirs I would rather take advice from people who cad considered or maybe visited these.

Don't give a toss about prestige as long as I can breathe the clean country air.

Thanks all for the help so far
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I had also found this list but wanted to make sure I had a comprehensive one, and also because my definition of 'rural' may be different to theirs I would rather take advice from people who cad considered or maybe visited these.

Don't give a toss about prestige as long as I can breathe the clean country air.

Thanks all for the help so far
I would take that list with a big grain of salt.....I know for a fact Reading uni isn't "rural" - they might be saying that because the campus is green but it is not in a rural situation....the town of Reading is nearby and very busy
jessblackburn
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Keele is near a town but is quite isolated in itself
Film
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That is a strange list, as number 2 Strathclyde is in the center of Glasgow
(Original post by mnot)
Warwick & Loughborough unis aren't in the middle of nowhere, but are also not in a city, in smallish towns.

Sutton Bonnington campus at Nottingham is in the middle of nowhere but only a limited number of courses are there.

Maybe the Royal Agricultural uni

harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Film)
That is a strange list, as number 2 Strathclyde is in the center of Glasgow
It's a rubbish list, OP would do better to consider the unis being suggested by people who have actually visited them
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Exeter and Falmouth Penryn campuses
The Stafford campus for Staffordshire University
Cranfield University
UHI
Aber/Bangor/Lampeter
Cumbria
Derby's Buxton Campus
Harper Adams

A lot of these will have limited subject choices though - what subject do you want to study OP?
lemxn
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Keele smells of manure every morning if you live in certain halls! As someone else mentioned Keele can be quite isolating, especially if you live on campus but is close enough to the nearest town for the main things you need. I'm from London myself but had a great four years.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Open uni + tent
ajj2000
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Lancaster - some students used to live in very rural small villages and commute in. Uni of the Highlands? Might be worth checking public transport around Bangor and Aberystwth as I'll bet you could find some really great, very cheap accommodation nearby. Huddersfield has rural locations and good bus services.

Which course are you looking for?
FutureZoologist
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey, the uni I am going to is the University of Exeter BUT their Penryn campus.
Penryn is a tiny village in Cornwall on a river by the sea. I, like you, was looking for a small campus surrounded by nature which isn’t at all in a city, as I don’t want to do the whole ‘go clubbing and getting drunk’ uni thing.
I’d seriously recommend visiting, although they don’t have that many courses - mostly bioscience courses such as marine biology and zoology (there’ll be many nature enthusiasts there including me 😛), some others like English and mining and engineering too.
The campus is shared with the university of Falmouth, which is an arts uni. So if you are interested in art/photography/design etc I’d recommend looking at that.
Other unis people have mentioned such as Loughborough, Warwick etc I think wouldn’t be really that much in nature.
I live near Royal Holloway and though it is a beautiful uni and near great Windsor park this area is still kind of built up, lots of roads and houses though not much to do as it isn’t a city.
The other one I have heard of is Aberystwyth, though I have never been.
But seriously, go visit Penryn. The town Falmouth which is 10 minutes away by bus from campus is a cute small Cornish town on the sea with beaches and tonnes of wildlife, I’ve seen dolphins there.
University of Huddersfield Student Rep
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello,

Huddersfield could be a good uni for you, it's not rural but it's a small town with everything you need (theater, shops, cinema etc) but surrounded by beautiful countryside - and great rail links to get around. It has a great reputation and such a lovely campus - which is so pretty! There's also a canal running through the middle of campus, which is pretty cool.

If you'd like to find out a bit more from other students, I really recommend these blogs: http://blogs.hud.ac.uk/students/explore-hud/ - they'll help give you an idea of life in Huddersfield.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask - but I hope this helps!

Abbi

Student Rep, Uni of Huddersfield
almostmaybe
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There are a few that are notionally in towns but are right on the edge or just outside, Kent is a good example. It's next to Canterbury, on a hill, but is countryside or villages on three sides and separted from the city by some parkland. Although most students live in Canterbury after moving out of halls, Canterbury itself is quite small.
Last edited by almostmaybe; 1 month ago
Galeriapaints
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What do you want to study at University?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (33)
7.38%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (263)
58.84%
No (151)
33.78%

Watched Threads