Election of a Speaker (attempt 2): Notification Watch

This discussion is closed.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Having failed to elect a speaker in the last vote, we'll now have another go.

Anyone who is or has previously been an MP is eligible to stand for the role. If you do wish to stand, please send me a manifesto by 6pm on Thursday 25th July. Manifestos may be no longer than 250 words, and any manifestos submitted as an image file must be accompanied by a plain-text copy, or they will not be posted.

The timetable for this election is as follows:
Day 0 – The Speaker announces the election and asks for manifestos to be submitted to them.
Day 3 – The Speaker will create a question and answer thread, and will post the candidates who wish to run in the election for speaker along with their manifestos.
Day 5 – The Speaker will open a secret poll (for MPs only in the Division Lobby) with the candidates’ names and the option for Re-Open Nominations.
Day 10 – Poll closes. If a candidate has gained more than 50% of the vote, they are elected. If not, the two candidates with the most votes, plus ties, are put into a second three day ballot with no R.O.N. option. If at any point during the runoff vote a candidate withdraws the runoff is rerun between the remaining candidate and the next highest placed candidate on the first round ballot excluding the candidate who has withdrawn. The runoff may be rerun a maximum of three times. In the event there is no next placed candidate from the first round the remaining candidate undergoes a Speakership Confirmation motion procedure lasting three days. If three runoffs all result in withdrawals the candidate left undergoes a Speakership Confirmation motion.
Day 13/16/19 – If a runoff election was needed, results of the election are announced and the candidate with the most votes is elected.
Day 22 – If a Speakership Confirmation Motion was called, the results are announced.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I would encourage Aph to re-run with a less progressive manifesto (the polite way of putting it). Similarly, if anyone originally thought about running and didn't, now is your chance. If you're inexperienced, I will personally fight your corner once elected should you come under criticism from anyone who doesn't appreciate enough the work that the speaker does. I often worry that people not willing to hold offices of responsibility is the fear of the lambasting some users try to use against those in positions of authority.
LiberOfLondon
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
15638248821181835560790.jpg
I nominate this can of Lynx Excite deodorant/body spray. For one, it is less biased than Aph. Also, it did not stage a coup against the Liber leader over issues of Brexit.
Life_peer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
We could just keep voting RON and hope Fez continues fulfilling his duties.

Alternatively someone who's chatty but doesn't do much in terms of creating legislation or debating. CatusStarbright Andrew97 Rakas21 How about one of you guys?
Last edited by Life_peer; 4 weeks ago
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I won't be standing as I'm not interested in the role but I hope to see someone like CatusStarbright put their name forward.
The Mogg
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Got my vote
(Original post by LiberOfLondon)
I nominate this can of Lynx Excite deodorant/body spray. For one, it is less biased than Aph. Also, it did not stage a coup against the Liber leader over issues of Brexit.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by LiberOfLondon)
Try not to look like you're laughing in the face of someone who's lost an election; or if you do, don't do so by revealing the chemical you choose to put under your armpits. Needless nastiness doesn't suit you.
Last edited by 04MR17; 4 weeks ago
ns_2
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Life_peer)
We could just keep voting RON and hope Fez continues fulfilling his duties.

Alternatively someone who's chatty but doesn't do much in terms of creating legislation or debating. CatusStarbright Andrew97 Rakas21 How about one of you guys?
Hear hear to both points.

CatusStarbright, Andrew97 and Rakas21 are all fantastic candidates for the role - although I'd rather not lose my deputy...
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This was predictable.
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
I would encourage Aph to re-run with a less progressive manifesto (the polite way of putting it). Similarly, if anyone originally thought about running and didn't, now is your chance. If you're inexperienced, I will personally fight your corner once elected should you come under criticism from anyone who doesn't appreciate enough the work that the speaker does. I often worry that people not willing to hold offices of responsibility is the fear of the lambasting some users try to use against those in positions of authority.
If Aph did re-run with a less progressive manifesto then that would be great. Having said that, we should defo encourage someone who's more inexperienced to run because the role of Speaker is often under-valued and people don't appreciate the work that the Speakership team does. Plus I'm sure the current Deputy Speaker will work closely with them to support them in their role.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
If Aph did re-run with a less progressive manifesto then that would be great. Having said that, we should defo encourage someone who's more inexperienced to run because the role of Speaker is often under-valued and people don't appreciate the work that the Speakership team does. Plus I'm sure the current Deputy Speaker will work closely with them to support them in their role.
Absolutely. I feel as though most people missed the bit where Aph said he wouldn't enact any of his changes if the house didn't want them... Had that been clear on his manifesto then we might not be having this conversation...
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I will consider having a run.
Life_peer
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
Let me guess: to the fridge? :rolleyes:
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
As if you run
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
As if you run
HAha true, I look like a rabbit when I run.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
Absolutely. I feel as though most people missed the bit where Aph said he wouldn't enact any of his changes if the house didn't want them... Had that been clear on his manifesto then we might not be having this conversation...
I agree with the Honourable Member on this. The review of independent members of the House was my sole reason for not supporting Aph.
abucha3
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I am disappointed by this, and by members who have shown complete disregard for the candidate who stood to be Speaker. No one else could frankly be bothered to stand, yet are happy to stand on the sidelines pontificating and suggesting other members, who have not even an expressed an interest in standing, in doing so. What is worse is that people seem to think that no one is better than Aph, given that they voted to re-open nominations.

My question to anyone who stands this time, other than Aph, why did you not stand the first time? If you wanted to do the job, you would have known then.

Everyone keeps banging on about the manifesto. Why do we even need a manifesto? Other than a statement confirming you are active, can take on the responsibility and will be impartial, what else is needed? It is not a political position. We do not need to be won over with some great vision of what the Speaker can do; we do not need that and we do not want that.

We just need someone who is capable of doing the job, and is happy to take on the commitment of quite a full on role in this place.

If Aph stands again, I will vote for him again, and I would urge all members to do the same rather than wasting further time.
Life_peer
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by abucha3)
I am disappointed by this, and by members who have shown complete disregard for the candidate who stood to be Speaker. No one else could frankly be bothered to stand, yet are happy to stand on the sidelines pontificating and suggesting other members, who have not even an expressed an interest in standing, in doing so. What is worse is that people seem to think that no one is better than Aph, given that they voted to re-open nominations.

My question to anyone who stands this time, other than Aph, why did you not stand the first time? If you wanted to do the job, you would have known then.

If Aph stands again, I will vote for him again, and I would urge all members to do the same rather than wasting further time.
Hey mate, it's not really as straightforward as you make it. Some if not many of us were counting on Jarred but since he had a sudden change of heart, there's a legitimate need for another round. Now that people who felt it was pointless because they would lose or didn't get enough encouragement are considering it and that's good in my opinion.

Since you seem to defend Aph so much, have you actually witnessed his shenanigans, for example how he ruined the Green Party with his personal ambition and illicit totalitarian methods? There are members who could write essays about the damage he's caused. What you're proposing is essentially shooting ourselves in the foot because we can't shoot any ducks and that ammo needs to be used somehow before the end of the day, otherwise we're wasting time…
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by abucha3)
No one else could frankly be bothered to stand, yet are happy to stand on the sidelines pontificating
This pretty much sums up MHoC's problem.
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
When Fez first told me he was planning on stepping down, I confess that I did contemplate standing and becoming Speaker, but in all honesty it's not a desirable job. It is a lot of work for little thanks; people only notice when things are not working properly.

Whilst I have ideas of what I would want to do as Speaker, I am happy with my job as DS and I know that at least some of the changes I wish to make I can do sitting here in this role, where I get to remain a political actor when not fulfilling Speakership duties.

In sum, I don't really want the position (at least not at this moment in time).
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.49%
Excited (156)
9.1%
Worried (306)
17.85%
Terrified (381)
22.23%
Meh (169)
9.86%
Confused (37)
2.16%