Would you move out if you were me? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I did my bachelors at a London uni while living with my parents. I will be starting my masters at Imperial soon. It will take me just over an hour to commute to Imperial from my home in East London (so 2+ hours travel each day). The only thing holding me back is the accommodation cost. I know some students would love to save all that money commuting from home but at the same time I've never experienced the fun halls life. Should I move out?
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I did my bachelors at a London uni while living with my parents. I will be starting my masters at Imperial soon. It will take me just over an hour to commute to Imperial from my home in East London (so 2+ hours travel each day). The only thing holding me back is the accommodation cost. I know some students would love to save all that money commuting from home but at the same time I've never experienced the fun halls life. Should I move out?
Before making that decision, check that its actually possible for you. Imperial does not have vast amounts of accomodation, and as a UK PG student you will be well down the priority list compared to the new UG intake. Also some of their acomodation is quite far away from the main South Ken site, including the main PG only halls, so you may still end up with a commute.

That said, if you have never been in halls before and can afford it, it can deliver an instant social life, particualty if you get involved in helping to run things.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think it's a good experience to have, and I've always been glad that I did it for my first year. If you can afford it, I would recommend you go for it. You just don't get the same experience as a commuter. There's a great sense of community in halls, and it can honestly take your university experience to another level. Plus it's useful to get an idea of living alone and looking after yourself, while having others around you to support you.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Mr Wednesday)
Before making that decision, check that its actually possible for you. Imperial does not have vast amounts of accomodation, and as a UK PG student you will be well down the priority list compared to the new UG intake. Also some of their acomodation is quite far away from the main South Ken site, including the main PG only halls, so you may still end up with a commute.

That said, if you have never been in halls before and can afford it, it can deliver an instant social life, particualty if you get involved in helping to run things.
Hi, thanks for your response. I am strongly considering gradpad as one of their locations is right round the corner from one of the facilities I'll be using, and about 30 minutes from the SK site. I have never lived in halls nor experienced the acclaimed 'student life' so I think I've made up my mind .
Anonymous #1
(Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
I think it's a good experience to have, and I've always been glad that I did it for my first year. If you can afford it, I would recommend you go for it. You just don't get the same experience as a commuter. There's a great sense of community in halls, and it can honestly take your university experience to another level. Plus it's useful to get an idea of living alone and looking after yourself, while having others around you to support you.
How long in advance would you recommend moving in to halls? The least popular option seems to be moving in a day or two before semester starts.
Mr Wednesday
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
How long in advance would you recommend moving in to halls? The least popular option seems to be moving in a day or two before semester starts.
You don't usually get much choice here, halls get used for conferences and other activities over the summer so the university generally sets a specific moving in weekend just before term starts. On the plus side, that means everyone is in the same boat and halls usually work that into their social events. If its a well run hall there will also be a team of returning students to help you get moved in, gently separate parents from freshers, hand out tea and biscuits etc.
Anonymous #1
You don't usually get much choice here, halls get used for conferences and other activities over the summer so the university generally sets a specific moving in weekend just before term starts. On the plus side, that means everyone is in the same boat and halls usually work that into their social events. If its a well run hall there will also be a team of returning students to help you get moved in, gently separate parents from freshers, hand out tea and biscuits etc.
Sorry I'm probably confusing you when I say halls, I mean gradpad. They offer three start dates: 1 month, 2 weeks and 2 days before semester starts. The first two options seem to be the most popular, I'm guessing because students can get to know one another and settle in before studies take over. From your experience, what would you choose and why?
Mr Wednesday
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi, thanks for your response. I am strongly considering gradpad as one of their locations is right round the corner from one of the facilities I'll be using, and about 30 minutes from the SK site. I have never lived in halls nor experienced the acclaimed 'student life' so I think I've made up my mind .
Great, I hope that works out well for you. The more you put into hall social life, the more you tend to get out .... balanced by the fact that you will be a PG at Imperial so your workload is going to be significant, what course are you doing ?
Anonymous #1
Great, I hope that works out well for you. The more you put into hall social life, the more you tend to get out .... balanced by the fact that you will be a PG at Imperial so your workload is going to be significant, what course are you doing ?
I will be doing Advanced Mechanical Engineering
Mr Wednesday
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
They offer three start dates: 1 month, 2 weeks and 2 days before semester starts. The first two options seem to be the most popular, I'm guessing because students can get to know one another and settle in before studies take over. From your experience, what would you choose and why?
Ok, thats a bit unusual, I was always in mixed UG / PG halls and these had a single start weekend for new students, and I was usually working over the holidays so an early hall start didnt fit with my schedule. I was a junior warden for a few years and for that I was in hall the week before term started with a small team to get things ready for the new students.

I would see if you can get the contact details for a hall warden or probably better still - their student helpers if you can. They will give you a better idea about the hall vibe over the summer and when most people arrive / student life kicks in. UG Freshers tend to need a lot of looking after, but as a PG the assumption will be that you know what you are doing, and hall events will be tweaked accordingly and propbably lower key. I cant see anything about their social scene on their website so best to drop them a line directly.
Anonymous #1
Ok, thats a bit unusual, I was always in mixed UG / PG halls and these had a single start weekend for new students, and I was usually working over the holidays so an early hall start didnt fit with my schedule. I was a junior warden for a few years and for that I was in hall the week before term started with a small team to get things ready for the new students.

I would see if you can get the contact details for a hall warden or probably better still - their student helpers if you can. They will give you a better idea about the hall vibe over the summer and when most people arrive / student life kicks in. UG Freshers tend to need a lot of looking after, but as a PG the assumption will be that you know what you are doing, and hall events will be tweaked accordingly and propbably lower key. I cant see anything about their social scene on their website so best to drop them a line directly.
Thanks, you've been really helpful. I'll give them a call to try and find out a bit more.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'd say to move in as early as you can, as you can get used to the area and get to know people before your course starts .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• Imperial College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 14 Sep '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.6%
Excited (156)
9.18%
Worried (305)
17.95%
Terrified (378)
22.25%
Meh (163)
9.59%
Confused (37)
2.18%