Catrin Baum
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi! I’m hoping to study psychology at university in 2020 and am applying to university of Liverpool, Bangor university and Aberystwyth university but I don’t know what other 2 universities to apply to??

Does anyone know of any unis that are good for psychology that I can visit??? <3
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Catrin Baum)
Hi! I’m hoping to study psychology at university in 2020 and am applying to university of Liverpool, Bangor university and Aberystwyth university but I don’t know what other 2 universities to apply to??

Does anyone know of any unis that are good for psychology that I can visit??? <3
Have a look on the league tables and see if any ones take your fancy.
Catrin Baum
Rep:
?
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
Have a look on the league tables and see if any ones take your fancy.
Thank you
Darelz
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

I'm a psychology student at University of York, and I would highly recommend checking out department! We're consistently in the top 100 psychology departments in the world in the QS World University Rankings.
Catrin Baum
Rep:
?
(Original post by Darelz)
I'm a psychology student at University of York, and I would highly recommend checking out department! We're consistently in the top 100 psychology departments in the world in the QS World University Rankings.
Thank you!!
swanseajack1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Looking at your choices you seem to be looking at the west coast so options might be looking at Lancaster and Swansea. If you are looking at very good grades try Bath
Thank you!!
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
You need to check if its a social science or a science based course - all Unis are different - and work out which one suits your interests best. Also,check that the degree is accredited by the BPS (https://www.bps.org.uk/public/become-psychologist).
Its also worth looking at joint subject degrees - many are BPS accredited and this gives you other potential career pathways.

General info on How to Avoid 5 Rejections here : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...ity-rejections - especially the advice about spreading you choices across different grade requirements.
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

what are your grades like? I hear Aberystwyth has a great nightlife...
Catrin Baum
Rep:
?
(Original post by returnmigrant)
You need to check if its a social science or a science based course - all Unis are different - and work out which one suits your interests best. Also,check that the degree is accredited by the BPS (https://www.bps.org.uk/public/become-psychologist).
Its also worth looking at joint subject degrees - many are BPS accredited and this gives you other potential career pathways.

General info on How to Avoid 5 Rejections here : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...ity-rejections - especially the advice about spreading you choices across different grade requirements.
Thank you! I want to do a science based course
Catrin Baum
Rep:
?
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
what are your grades like? I hear Aberystwyth has a great nightlife...
I’m not sure yet because we get our AS results on the 14th of August so then I’ll have a better idea of what to expect for next year
Catrin Baum
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
Looking at your choices you seem to be looking at the west coast so options might be looking at Lancaster and Swansea. If you are looking at very good grades try Bath
Yeah I think I want to go somewhere within a 2/3 hour train journey from home 🙈 thanks
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Where do you live because the journey from North Wales to Swansea takes hours
Yeah I think I want to go somewhere within a 2/3 hour train journey from home 🙈 thanks
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Thank you! I want to do a science based course
Bristol - Psychology : https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/unde...sc-psychology/
and also new course Psychology and Neuroscience (4 years) : https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/unde...-neuroscience/
Catrin Baum
Rep:
?
(Original post by returnmigrant)
Bristol - Psychology : https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/unde...sc-psychology/
and also new course Psychology and Neuroscience (4 years) : https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/unde...-neuroscience/
Thanks !!
Catrin Baum
Rep:
?
Where do you live because the journey from North Wales to Swansea takes hours
North Wales about an hours drive south from Bangor, it doesn’t necessarily have to be that close to home id just prefer it, but if I really like a uni that’s further I would definitely still apply
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
That puts you somewhere in the Porthmadog area. Trains are non existant there. There is a bus service linking Bangor and Aberystwyth. At Aberystwyth there are hourly trains to Carmarthen where you can get a train to Swansea or Cardiff. From Aberystwyth there are trains to Shrewsbury or Crewe where the connections go to London through Birmingham. The North Wales coast trains link to Manchester or London although I think there is also a service from Holyhead to Cardiff. Universities you could consider are Manchester, Birmingham and Aston for bigger cities. Keele isnt far from Crewe if you would like a smaller more rural environment like you are used to. Lancaster is an out of town university on a nice campus an hour from Manchester although you might change at Crewe. Swansea and Cardiff are worth looking into. Bath and Exeter are very good universities with nice campuses in smallish cities although a lot bigger than you are now or Bangor and Aberystwyth.
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

Hi Catrin Baum,
I'd like to vouch for Lancaster!
There's 2 open days in September if you'd like to visit and get a feel for it.
One of my close friends does Psychology and other than being 9th in the league tables for Psychology, I know that she enjoys it a lot. One element that's unique is that in first year you get to study a minor. My friend did Crimonology, which widened her skills and is something unique to other graduates across the country. I know it can be hard work with reading and essays etc but she's still had lots of time for extracurricular. I also know that she's started working on her third year research project which is pretty cool.
Let me know if you have any questions!
Charlotte
2nd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
Catrin Baum
Rep:
?
That puts you somewhere in the Porthmadog area. Trains are non existant there. There is a bus service linking Bangor and Aberystwyth. At Aberystwyth there are hourly trains to Carmarthen where you can get a train to Swansea or Cardiff. From Aberystwyth there are trains to Shrewsbury or Crewe where the connections go to London through Birmingham. The North Wales coast trains link to Manchester or London although I think there is also a service from Holyhead to Cardiff. Universities you could consider are Manchester, Birmingham and Aston for bigger cities. Keele isnt far from Crewe if you would like a smaller more rural environment like you are used to. Lancaster is an out of town university on a nice campus an hour from Manchester although you might change at Crewe. Swansea and Cardiff are worth looking into. Bath and Exeter are very good universities with nice campuses in smallish cities although a lot bigger than you are now or Bangor and Aberystwyth.
Yeah I’d get a train from Bangor because I’d get a lift there and back
Catrin Baum
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Hi Catrin Baum,
I'd like to vouch for Lancaster!
There's 2 open days in September if you'd like to visit and get a feel for it.
One of my close friends does Psychology and other than being 9th in the league tables for Psychology, I know that she enjoys it a lot. One element that's unique is that in first year you get to study a minor. My friend did Crimonology, which widened her skills and is something unique to other graduates across the country. I know it can be hard work with reading and essays etc but she's still had lots of time for extracurricular. I also know that she's started working on her third year research project which is pretty cool.
Let me know if you have any questions!
Charlotte
2nd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
Thanks!!
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Lancaster would certainly a great option for you. A fantastic university. The quickest journey just under 4 hours with 1 change at Crewe. It is a really nice campus university a couple of miles out of a smallish town. Given where you come from you need to decide whether you would like to live in massive cities like Liverpool, Manchester or Birmingham or smaller places like Aberystwyth, Bangor or Lancaster which is a bit bigger but not huge. Other campus universities in smaller towns would be Bath and Exeter although they maybe some distance and time away. Unfortunately living where you do wherever you go will be hours away
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (109)
17.99%
It's just nice to be back! (163)
26.9%
Not great so far... (217)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.31%

Watched Threads