MAT Preparation Beyond Just Studying Past Papers Watch

QuestionCactus
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Looking at past threads (most recently this one) on this forum, I never see anything recommended for students taking the MAT in October beyond simply reviewing all the past exams.

Is this really standard practice? I feel like all of our standardized tests here in America inevitably have multiple specialized review books written by multiple competing test prep companies. Is there a particular reason that these don't exist for the MAT, or is it just generally not a thing that's done?

Is there preparation (e.g. AOPS, more advanced math textbooks) that would be effective study for the MAT that goes beyond reviewing past tests? Or maybe some way of effectively reviewing the specific exam syllabus methodically?
zetamcfc
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by QuestionCactus)
Looking at past threads (most recently this one) on this forum, I never see anything recommended for students taking the MAT in October beyond simply reviewing all the past exams.

Is this really standard practice? I feel like all of our standardized tests here in America inevitably have multiple specialized review books written by multiple competing test prep companies. Is there a particular reason that these don't exist for the MAT, or is it just generally not a thing that's done?

Is there preparation (e.g. AOPS, more advanced math textbooks) that would be effective study for the MAT that goes beyond reviewing past tests? Or maybe some way of effectively reviewing the specific exam syllabus methodically?
It is the standard practice for pretty much all exams in the UK. There are additional resources for most exams but, past papers are the cheapest i.e. free, way of revising content especially for maths exams. Plus with maths there are a plethora of online resources to learn from which are also free. For the MAT in particular I'm not sure it's that viable to try to make money on review books due to the amount of people taking the exam (Similar to books on specialized areas of maths, as if I want to but some books rather than just go to the library they will set me back £200+).

The content of MAT is nothing new from the A-level syllabus from what I can remember so there is no need for specialized textbooks, they are just challenging questions on areas of mathematics covered in the first year of A-levels. But as with most exams in the UK from GCSE's to STEP past papers are the way to go.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.72%
Excited (151)
9.02%
Worried (303)
18.1%
Terrified (374)
22.34%
Meh (155)
9.26%
Confused (37)
2.21%