Starting year 9 ~ what do I need to know? Watch

ladyalpatera
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi guys, I'm starting year 9 so I'm wondering what the difference between it and year 8 are, like what stuff I need to bring with me (ringbinders?), ways to study effectively, places to buy cheap but good stationary, if I do my GCSEs then etc (as apparently some people have to do maths gcses early?!). if you could help me and tell me about this stuff i would be grateful, thanks :3
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by ladyalpatera; 4 weeks ago
MediocreSince01
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Nothing. It’s just like year 8.
ladyalpatera
Rep:
?
(Original post by MediocreSince01)
Nothing. It’s just like year 8.
but... why do all the year 9s carry ring binders around then? and apparently you choose half your GCSEs then?
Last edited by ladyalpatera; 4 weeks ago
Nousername2431
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
When I moved to year nine it was half the year doing work like year 8 just then I chose my GCSE options half way through. Could be different in your school but from what I understand that is the general layout of it. As for what to bring, just bring what is needed for that class. You may not need ring binders for certain classes but you might need them for others. - you need to figure out how you learn/revise and work from there. Tip- figure that out before your GCSE/A-level. And I did my maths early but I don’t think it was year 9 early
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ladyalpatera)
but... why do all the year 9s carry ring binders around then? and apparently you choose half your GCSEs then?
Lmao ring binders, wait until you get to lever-arch folders, that's when things get really intense. If they've all got ring binders it might be because the school gave them ring-binders.

You choose your GCSEs in year 9, yes. Think about what subjects you don't want to carry on with. Re: early GCSEs, that probably won't be the case, you'll sit them all in the same season.

Really the most important thing you need to do is pay attention in lessons.
ladyalpatera
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nousername2431)
When I moved to year nine it was half the year doing work like year 8 just then I chose my GCSE options half way through. Could be different in your school but from what I understand that is the general layout of it. As for what to bring, just bring what is needed for that class. You may not need ring binders for certain classes but you might need them for others. - you need to figure out how you learn/revise and work from there. Tip- figure that out before your GCSE/A-level. And I did my maths early but I don’t think it was year 9 early
yeah that's why I wanna get ringbinders as I'm assuming they use them as it's easier to keep study papers in neatly, thanks
ladyalpatera
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Lmao ring binders, wait until you get to lever-arch folders, that's when things get really intense. If they've all got ring binders it might be because the school gave them ring-binders.

You choose your GCSEs in year 9, yes. Think about what subjects you don't want to carry on with. Re: early GCSEs, that probably won't be the case, you'll sit them all in the same season.

Really the most important thing you need to do is pay attention in lessons.
I don't think they got the ringbinders as they're not 'school style' 💀 I think they might be for studying? so I'm just gonna get a bunch of studying stuff tbh to try and get organized before my GCSEs, and thanks, I've already talked about that with my parents so I'm pretty sorted, thank you.
HumbleBee_x
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Have fun child, have fun xx
ladyalpatera
Rep:
?
(Original post by HumbleBee_x)
Have fun child, have fun xx
thanks because I'm pretty sure I'll need it now .. 😬
Satyr
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ladyalpatera)
yeah that's why I wanna get ringbinders as I'm assuming they use them as it's easier to keep study papers in neatly, thanks
How? What are you going to put in them? Students in Year 10 in my school haven't even touched a folder in their life but they still do well.
Satyr
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Dear oh dear....
The tough times have begun for you kid you need to stop all your social life and concentrate on just doing homeworks, once you have finished homeworks read your books. You have not waste time in year 9. The fun is over now things just got serious....

Spoiler:
Show
It is
Spoiler:
Show
Sarcasm
Spoiler:
Show
Really just do your homeworks on time and that's it

Davy611
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Listen to your teachers. Respect your peers. Read the news. Have fun.
MathsMania
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
In my school, we chose our GCSEs in yr 8, i just finished year 9 and did my maths gcse. Your life is now officially over. There were so many mocks and coursework due in, i'm so waiting for year 11 to be just over
Spoiler:
Show
just do your h/w, try do a little revision each week so year 11 isn't one major shock. YOU ARE SO LUCKY if you don't go to a school like mine, they try scare us when year 11 is the most important. Just chillax, but work hard. You still have 3 more years.

The Works is a nice stationary shop.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (190)
12.74%
Excited (123)
8.25%
Worried (279)
18.71%
Terrified (343)
23%
Meh (124)
8.32%
Confused (35)
2.35%